A stroke of luck?

Mopar Big Block Talk
kenny38

A stroke of luck?

Post by kenny38 »

I decided to take my SP into a good mechanic who had lots of nice Mustangs/Porches outside so he must be good? This after posting on forum. I asked him to have a look and tune etc. He rang me later and asked if I intended using her for a reasonable trip. "Wots up" says I. "your ^%$# wheels are about to go sideways and take out your wheels plus body and you could end up in some one's front of car. Your upper ball joints (whatever) are ready to pop so don't go anywhere until replaced. As it happened I was planning a 5 hour trip to Sydney and back that very weekend. Got the joints from a club member who said he thinks they were originally meant for Bedford trucks. Wear of these balljoints has probably been exacerbated by the appalling state of the local roads here in God's Own Country plus 25 years of living in a part of Melbourne run by Greenies who placed bloody great "traffic calming devices" on all our streets meaning you had to go sideways and bang down the other side if travelling at more than 5KPH. Still, I think I dodged a bullet. And Basil ,Lewis Smith said you did put a hole in my bonnet. Said you slammed shut said "Christ!!" and ran away before I turned up. Kenny38 :roll:
slotcarone

Re: A stroke of luck?

Post by slotcarone »

Unusual that the upper ball joints would be that worn out since the lowers are the load carrying ones on these cars. How are the lower ball joints?
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi Slotcarone. I think you maybe right. I will call in next Tuesday and query. Might as well get lower ones too I think. Do it properly......like.Thanks for the tip. Kenny38 :P
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

The lower ball joints are a lot more complicated than the uppers. Uppers are a sealed unit held in by two bolts but the lowers actually need to be rebuilt and correctly shimmed.
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Thanks,Slotcarone. He is going to tune and replace spark plugs with high quality ones. Says she goes fine already but a few tweaks will help. Also says he will not do anything to make her go faster as "yer to $%#@ old and will haunt me" Wot a custard!I look better than he does. Kenny38 :evil:

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”