Timing cover alignment

Mopar Big Block Talk
Jorrocks

Timing cover alignment

Post by Jorrocks »

I am in the throes of fitting new oil pan & windage tray gaskets. Now, I know that I am supposed to augment the gaskets with RTV (I was planning on using Yamabond a.k.a Threebond 1184) at the join between the timing cover base and the base of the block, but the misalignment seems excessive, or is this normal?
IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG (108.07 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
IMG_2674.JPG
IMG_2674.JPG (91.77 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
I can't move the timing cover as it is a good snug fit on it's locating dowels.
1972 Interceptor MkIII (128/4886)
Jorrocks

Re: Timing cover alignment

Post by Jorrocks »

Anyone able to help on this?
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

If its an aftermarket cover its probably a poor repop as the original type do fit flush you have two choices open up the dowl holes so that you can slide the cover down flush or put a bead of silicone along that bottom edge and then the gasket and nip it up it should seal up ok,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Jorrocks

Post by Jorrocks »

Thanks Dunc,
It's actually a Milodon part, so not too impressed! I think I'll try the dollop of silicone!
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Jorrocks wrote:Thanks Dunc,
It's actually a Milodon part, so not too impressed! I think I'll try the dollop of silicone!
yes it will be fine, the cork gaskets will squidge into that area to,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Jorrocks

Post by Jorrocks »

Dunc,
So I run a good bead along the widest part of the gap, then the first gasket, then windage tray then main oil pan gasket? Any particular brand of silicone you'd recommend? I think the yamabond is waay too runny!
Eric.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Jorrocks wrote:Dunc,
So I run a good bead along the widest part of the gap, then the first gasket, then windage tray then main oil pan gasket? Any particular brand of silicone you'd recommend? I think the yamabond is waay too runny!
Eric.
yes run a good bead along that middle to front edge of the timing cover that way the excess comes out not in to the mtr, then a cork gasket windage tray, cork gasket you can put a very thin amount of silicone all round each gasket but there really is no need, they seal nicely, only tighten the bolts with 1/4 or 3/8 drive sockets they only need a nice nip, if your over zealos you can circle the pan tightening forever as the gaskets just keep compressing, hope you get what i mean,, i use a motor specific silicone from a local mtr factors like an old partco brown brothers type place. a large tube that goes in a regular cheapo metal frame gun avail b&q etc, dont be tempted to use household type silicone. 8) 8) other products i use when building engines are wellseal, and old school hermitite red, but only the slightest of smears, you dont need that stuff all over the place its just a bit of insurance sometimes,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”