Alternator extra field wire

Mopar Big Block Talk
mojo

Alternator extra field wire

Post by mojo »

I'm just about to replace the alternator on my C-V8 MkIII with a higher output one. The Powermaster replacement is a very good match, except for the fact that it has 3 terminals rather than 2 - it seems that the two Lucar-type connectors are both Field wires, while the original alternator had only one. Can someone confirm my understanding of how to get round this?

I ~think~ what you're supposed to do is to connect the existing Field wire (on a MkIII this is the Brown/Green wire) to one of the Lucar connectors, and make up a short lead to connect the other Lucar connector Field wire to ground? Is that correct?

On my car there are three Brown/White wires, all of which were connected to the third terminal (the alternator output - a screw-down post) - this looks to be correct from the wiring diagram.

[Edit: to answer my own question: yes, you ground one of the field wires to the alternator casing. Oddly, the specific instruction from Powermaster is to ground the one in the position which was originally used for the single wire originally, and to connect the brown/green wire to the Field connector where there was none on the original alternator]

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”