440 Source - to buy or not to buy

Mopar Big Block Talk
440interceptor

440 Source - to buy or not to buy

Post by 440interceptor »

I'm doing an engine rebuild and wanted some feedback, good or bad from owners that have bought and installed gear (and run it over a period of time), from www.440source.com. No doubt feedback will assist others also.

Thanks, Toby
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Highly recommended!!!

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Derek Jose

440 Source

Post by Derek Jose »

I highly recommend them. I purchased a stroker kit, custom pistons, roller rockers, high flow water pump, hamonic balancer, high torgue starter etc etc. Excellent service and products. :D

I see in an earlier thread someone suggesting that you use a fluid damper. You should do alot of research before you take that advice. Short of racing, or if you intend removing it each time you take the car out, keep away from that device.
INT lll - 133 5498
JH - 1143 14212
440interceptor

Post by 440interceptor »

Interesting Derek, sounds like a great car. A few questions if thats okay?

What did you do about the camshaft?

How long since you had the work done? Did you get the crankshaft balanced by 440 or did you wait until you got it delivered?

How much did you get slugged for freight to NZ? I've heard freight from US is very pricey.

My car went in today so I'll soon know what needs doing to it :?

Cheers, Toby
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Bought my 383 to 439 stroker kit from them.

Freight to Germany was about 140$ + 3.5 % coustom fee and 19% VAT.
Balanced the crank in Germany.

As you need counter weight that match if balancing a V8 crank I would asked them to do it - they didn´t offer that service a the time of my purchase.

A good cam for an engine like mine is Comp Cam PART #CL21-227-4 - but that is only my point of view.

Joerg
Last edited by Joerg on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Derek Jose

Stroker Kits

Post by Derek Jose »

I had my engine balanced locally. It was quite expensive. I would recommend getting it done at 440 Source. They have the same machine as the workshop that did mine. My cam was developed locally. I was chasing torque & ended up with 522 ft/lbs and 450 bhp. I wouldn't recommend going much more than that as traction becomes a major problem. I have americam cooper tyres 15/245. You can't get anything bigger on the rear. My engine is 9 months old and running really well. There are a lot of the 440 stroker kits in use in NZ. They are popular with the Mopar boys and the drag tractor fraternity. I have never heard of anyone experiencing problems. I know of one engine running nitros and handling it well.
Derek
INT lll - 133 5498
JH - 1143 14212
impman

Post by impman »

Re Balancing

Get quotes on how much to do it in the US and how much to do it locally. If you have it done Stateside, you will pay duty/taxes on that service when importing the parts, so factor that percentage into the equation.

Paul
Paul
FF 119/082
yamoda

Post by yamoda »

According to their website, 440source charge $150 dollars to balance the bottom end. I have asked a couple of people that have experience in balancing Chrysler V8's, destined for the drag strip to much higher tolerances than we would need for the street, about the price and they both said "Do it!!" One said that he would probably charge close to that just for the drill bits he would go through doing the job! I will be ordering a kit from these guys soon and it will be balanced.
440interceptor

It keeps getting better

Post by 440interceptor »

Engine is now out and although the bores are worn I can't rebore as they are already bored to 60 thou over so I now need a new block as well. Brilliant! :cry: So it's looking like a crate motor. Don't think 440 are quite there yet so I have to look elsewhere.

Any advice or references to quality trustworthy suppliers?

Toby
Thug

Post by Thug »

Complete runners are often in the car parts adds here in Aus but no idea on cost of freight.I have planned a 440source stroker kit for mine soon especially as the Aus dollar is nearing 90 cents US,i have a Haltech E11v ecu with an edelbrock intake that has been modded with injector bungs,have a set of Indy EZE heads ,so along with the EFI it should be a beast
And for when i feel silly and want to have a run at the drags i have a Mopar Tunnel Ram manifold with injectors ,just going to have to do something about another bonnet for that

Cheers
Derek Jose

Post by Derek Jose »

Don't scrap your block just yet - If you are buying a stroker or any kit, for that matter, from 440 source you can get your pistons custom made to 70 over if your block can take it. Ross Racing do the pistons and make a great job of them. Certainly the way to go if your blocks ok. I had my block bored to 60 over. The engineer said these was still plenty of meat to go again.
INT lll - 133 5498
JH - 1143 14212
CrAzYMoPaRGuY
CMG-Cellar Dweller

Post by CrAzYMoPaRGuY »

I would sonic check any block .060 over or more for sure! No doubt about it, it's the foundation from which all else relies...

I have heard good and bad over the years about 440Source, but far more good than bad.
Alot of engine builders don't give glowing reviews to guys who undercut their prices regularly, so you really have to sort through the mud to see what's truth and what's not.

I wouldn't hesitate to deal with Brandon.
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

CrAzYMoPaRGuY wrote:I would sonic check any block .060 over or more for sure! No doubt about it, it's the foundation from which all else relies...

I have heard good and bad over the years about 440Source, but far more good than bad.
Alot of engine builders don't give glowing reviews to guys who undercut their prices regularly, so you really have to sort through the mud to see what's truth and what's not.

Just to let you know that you're posting replies to threads that are almost a year old - probably a pretty pointless exercise....

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
CrAzYMoPaRGuY
CMG-Cellar Dweller

Post by CrAzYMoPaRGuY »

Julian_S wrote:
CrAzYMoPaRGuY wrote:I would sonic check any block .060 over or more for sure! No doubt about it, it's the foundation from which all else relies...

Just to let you know that you're posting replies to threads that are almost a year old - probably a pretty pointless exercise....

Julian.
I was bored...
Keith

Post by Keith »

Julian_S wrote:Just to let you know that you're posting replies to threads that are almost a year old - probably a pretty pointless exercise....

Julian.
Don't listen to 'advice' like this CrazyMoparGuy, your posts are welcome.

And the search facility on the forum means that someone may well be reading older posts. The search facility and the in-built archive is one of the strengths of the forum. So your comments are as relevent now as at anytime.

Keep posting!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”