UnderHeating?

Mopar Big Block Talk
RockyUSA

UnderHeating?

Post by RockyUSA »

My car runs very cool, generally, so cool that I believed there was no thermostat installed.

1972 Mk 111, with a 440.

Well, I just pulled one out that sure looks closed to me.

I just verified I have a 160 Deg. T-stat, and it opens about 150 (based on my wife's calibrated candy thermometer).

Is there any way that the engine block coolant can bypass the thermostat to run cold all the time?

I am replacing the thermostat anyway with a 195* high-flow unit and will have more details, but am just curious if anyone has seen this?

Thanks -

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
AH1951

Re: UnderHeating?

Post by AH1951 »

150 Deg F is only 65.5 Deg C, so that thermostat looks like your problem.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

That's what I am thinking too, now that I have gotten into it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Basil McKinley

Post by Basil McKinley »

Hi Rocky,

I believe that the 180°F thermostat is the best choice for our cars,

Regards,
Basil
1970 Interceptor MkII 123/3798
1973 JH MkI 1141/12698
Lee Grover

Post by Lee Grover »

I've been thinking about a high flow thermostat also. Sticking with a 180deg one tho,the engine seems to be happy with the existing one. From the reading I've been doing regarding it a high flow t'stat should only be used in conjunction with a high flow water pump. I've read that the high flow ones have a tendency to not open fully,or even stick shut without the additional flow/pressure from a high flow pump that they were designed for. Might want to add a high flow pump with that t'stat. You'll have the system drained for the t'stat anyway,shouldn't be that much more grief to upgrade the pump at the same time.

I installed a high flow H2O pump a few years back when the stock one started weeping. Had just installed a new standard type t'stat so I didn't replace that at the time. Other than the fact that it no longer leaked I didn't notice any change in how things worked. I think the standard t'stat chokes the flow,I was expecting better results from the new pump. I'm hoping a high flow t'stat will change that :)

Lee
125/5124.....my ol' blue Mark Two
....and some other makes swimming in the motor pool.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Basil & Lee -

Thanks for the inputs, although I have completed the work and now am in testing mode.

The first thing I noticed is my temp guage runs much closer to the "N" on my guage, than previously.

This has not made an immediate difference in my transmission temp, but this makes sense, as the two systems are not directly connected.

I was very surprised when I pulled a thermostat out of my system. Based on how cold my engine ran, there must be significant flow capability in even a standard flow thermostat.

I have had good luck with the high-flow units in the 351 Cleveland engine in my Pantera, another vehicle known for challenges in the cooling system.

I will let you guys know the results as I get more miles under my belt.

PS. Did you know you have to remove (loosen/shift) the AC Compressor to get to the thermostat neck?

If Kevin Beatty was still around, I'd have a thing or two to tell him about the maintainability of these cars!

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Grant

Post by Grant »

RockyUSA wrote:

If Kevin Beatty was still around, I'd have a thing or two to tell him about the maintainability of these cars!

Rocky
I think you would need to speak to the head of Chrysler/Mopar Rocky more than Kevin Beattie, I believe Kevin was just fitting whatever Chrysler were sending over at the time :P
Glad your making good progress with your Car Rocky.. and by the looks of it (the year) you have the High Comprssion one there, the magnum 440 engine, can get much better than that "My Ole Fruit" :P :wink:
Wishing you well ... Grant :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Thanks, Grant -

Of course you know that's all just some good old American humor!

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
bigaadams

Post by bigaadams »

The thermostat purpose is greater than the regulating temperature for the creature that drives it in winter. 160 would be quite low and allow for the engine to gunk up due to not getting to proper operating temp to evaporate condensation. Lots of short trips and you got problems in the making. 180 is an all around general for these cars as they are used with carburation and if fuel injection, the 195 degree is your better choice as it is in line with the electronics that controls the fuel metering. Many modern cars run 205-210 these days. The next part of your thermostat deals with flow...the opening that is present when at temp is the control factor that does regulate your water exchange. IF you moving too much water, it will not allow for the saturation of heat from the block to the water for ultimate exchange at the radiator. Move it too slow and you block temp will increase as you are now retaining too much heat in the block and coolant. It is never a good idea to run without a thermostat as it helps keep the engine clean and operating at the correct temp (given your other components are on par)
AH1951

Overcooling

Post by AH1951 »

The only time it's a very good idea to run without a thermostat is when the thermostat has jammed in the closed position, causing overheating.
Then it's essential to remove it in order to complete your journey, but if you are carrying a spare you can immediately replace it. Easy to do if you have spare coolant to hand and the correct spanner or socket.
For maximum dramatic effect, throw it into the nearest hedge and tell your passengers you've fixed the problem.
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Rocky--My car has the York/Tecumseh compressor like yours does. This was I believe a Jensen fabricated mounting system as these were never a Chrysler OEM compressor.
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Slotcarone-

I agree with you, i dont think it's stock Chrysler.

I also have my doubts about the Power Steering pump mount with the drive belt that can rub on the lower radiator hose, but the hose interference could be due to a change in the hose geometry based on the Jensen radiator setup.

Does everyone else have a steel sleeve on their lower radiator hose to protect it from the PS belt?

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

No sleeve. RacerJoe
Richard Calver

Power steering belt

Post by Richard Calver »

>I also have my doubts about the Power Steering pump mount with the drive belt that can rub on the lower radiator hose, but the hose interference could be due to a change in the hose geometry based on the Jensen radiator setup. Does everyone else have a steel sleeve on their lower radiator hose to protect it from the PS belt?

A known fault with LHD cars only - interference between PAS hose, drive belt and lower radiator hose. Originality Guide p199 and Service Bulletins p194.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Fascinating.

Honestly.

Joe, did you make changes to rotate the Power Steering pump up a little higher?

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”