Interceptor water leak

Mopar Big Block Talk
Tommy

Interceptor water leak

Post by Tommy »

I have developed a small water leak, which is more of a drip every 3 or 4 seconds and it is baffling me. It seems to be coming from somewhere on the block above the offside rear sparking plug, so far as I can see.

Anyone any ideas? The car has antifreeze and has never been out in frost.
Jensen Tommy
AH1951

Re: Interceptor water leak

Post by AH1951 »

Edited.
Last edited by AH1951 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Tommy wrote: It seems to be coming from somewhere on the block above the offside rear sparking plug, so far as I can see.
It's coming from one of the exhaust manifold studs. The studs go straight into the adjacent water jacket. If the stud is corroded they can leak from there.

If the exhaust manifold is not leaking (a ticking noise like a noisy tappet), then rather than dismantle, I'd use a proprietory stop-leak in the radiator.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It is not the aircon so I think the manifold studs suggestion is the right one. It is not chuffing so I will probably try some K Seal in the radiator. Thank you for your suggestions.
Jensen Tommy
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

It could be a corroded core plug, I have seen exactly this on a car I did some work on last year. Some can be replaced easily with the engine in place but others are very awkward and probably almost impossible.

K seal is a great product but have you seen how much you will need for a cooling system the size of an Interceptor? Probably cheaper to buy bottle designed for trucks and coaches.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
taximan

Post by taximan »

Had the core plug go on mine and they had been replaced when the heads were done, luckily the manifolds came off easily as they had only been on there for 2 or 3 years.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”