Powermaster starter motors

Mopar Big Block Talk
mojo

Powermaster starter motors

Post by mojo »

I tried asking in the C-V8 section a few months ago and got no answer, and a forum search did not seem to find anything, so...

I'm looking to replace the ultra-slow standard starter motor on my (383 engined) C-V8 MkIII with a geared one. For no reason other than the brand seems to have a reasonable reputation, I'm thinking of going for a Powermaster, but there seem to be two models that people at various times have recommended for the 383 engine - the 9613 and the 9300.

Does anyone have a specific reason to recommend one or the other? Although now is not the ideal time to be buying relatively high-cost items from the USA, it seems I can get a 9300 shipped from over there to here, with shipping and import duty paid, for around £180 all-in (I think the 9613 may be slightly more expensive). The supplier is JEGS, who I have used before for something (can't remember what now) with no problems.

Any other recommendations/alternatives would of course be gratefully received
RockyUSA

Re: Powermaster starter motors

Post by RockyUSA »

I am merely tossing those out for consideration, although your price with shipping from JEGS seems pretty good when you figure this costs $70, plus $95 to ship.... (I am not sure what the Pound to Dollar ratio is now...)

But.... The Pantera group generally has positive things to say about DB Starters.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/m ... d0088.html

The shipping is what kills you here.....

Regards -

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
mojo

Post by mojo »

Agreed, the shipping is a big proportion, but last time I looked, prices for alternatives shipped within the UK were getting on for double what I would pay retail, all-in, to import from the US.

So I can tolerate the shipping as long as what I get will fit in the space between engine and chassis rails, and as long as what I get is reasonably durable.

One thing I couldn't understand about the two powermaster models: the cheaper is shown as suitable for engines with max CR 14:1, and the more expensive is for max CR of 12:1. Am I missing something obvious? Why would you pay more and fit what appears to be a weaker starter motor?
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I recommend the 9300, a well made starter and seems to last a lot longer than some of the non branded ones you see on Ebay and the like.

As far as the price goes maybe it is to do with the volume made?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
mojo

Post by mojo »

Steve Payne wrote:I recommend the 9300, a well made starter and seems to last a lot longer than some of the non branded ones you see on Ebay and the like.

As far as the price goes maybe it is to do with the volume made?
You're probably right about production numbers and price.

One other thing about the 9613 is that it seems to have InfiCLOCK, though whether that is an important feature on an Interceptor/C-V8 I can't figure out! As far as I can tell the 9300 does not have it, but hopefully that is not important in this application,
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I am sure the 9613 is the black version of a 9300 but I might be wrong.

The inficlock is nothing we have
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/9 ... CKshim.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
Philip Lochner

Post by Philip Lochner »

mojo wrote:I'm looking to replace the ultra-slow standard starter motor o
These new type starters are typically called "reduction gear starters" or " geared starters" or (incorrectly) "fast wind starters".

The thing is, that these new starters typically crank the engine at similar speeds (typically around 100rpm) as the original starters (when all is good) even though IT SOUNDS as if they are cranking much faster. This is because the electrical motor inside the starter does spin at least 3 times faster than the old direct drive starters.

IMPORTANTLY, they do so drawing quite a bit less current from the battery (their motors are more efficient) and therefore causing a smaller voltage drop on the battery which in turn yields a stronger spark during cranking which results in a better spark.

I saw this "equal cranking speed" on my Jag XJS (when I converted it to manual), my Etype and my Jensen with EFI and GM 4L60e when I fitted reduction gear starters.

Bottom line, they do start the engine better and is therefore a good investment, but not because they crank much faster than before.
Best regards
Philip
Mk3 7.2 #128/8120 Jan 73 http://tinyurl.com/hsjucm5
Mk3 7.2 #2240.9677 May '74 modified:
Fuel injected: http://tinyurl.com/qyrx93f
GM 4L60e 4-sp transmission: http://tinyurl.com/qxlwk95
mojo

Post by mojo »

To be honest, I never had a single occasion when my "ultra slow" starter motor failed to start the engine, eventually. It just ~sounds~ like it's not going to.

But I think you're right about the load on the battery being high - the last one did not last long, and that alone would be a good enough reason to replace with a more efficient starter.
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

An excellent replacement is the starter from a more modern Magnum motor (318/360) from a Ram or Dakota truck. Standard rebuilt part but smaller and lighter than the OEM Jensen unit. Its basically the same "fast" starter sold by Mopar Performance, Jegs, Summit etc. but should n=be easily obtainable locally...Now back to my cave.
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
mojo

Post by mojo »

bkbridges wrote:Its basically the same "fast" starter sold by Mopar Performance, Jegs, Summit etc. but should n=be easily obtainable locally.
Locally to me, or locally to you? I don't see a lot of Ram or Dakota trucks around here in S/E England!
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Hmm I saw a bunch of Dodge trucks on my last rip to Germany (and Turkey...) Not so In England? The application spans over a decade of Mopar products...
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

bkbridges wrote:Hmm I saw a bunch of Dodge trucks on my last rip to Germany (and Turkey...) Not so In England? The application spans over a decade of Mopar products...
BKB
Nope we drive on the other side of the road to our European neighbours and as you don't produce your trucks in RHD they are not that popular.

According to the website that tells us how many of each vehicle is on our roads in the UK there are less than 300 in the UK.

Steve
mojo

Post by mojo »

Pickup trucks in general are (by comparison with the US) near enough non-existent here. Small vans (in size terms I guess you would call them eurovans?) are the vehicles that dominate in their place - my daily motah is a VW Transporter, for example.

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”