Stalling Issue

Mopar Big Block Talk
StevieG

Stalling Issue

Post by StevieG »

I've an issue which is making my car undriveable. The engine will start and drive on the flat, but approach any kind of gradient and it will cough, splutter and stall. The less well-known but longstanding Jensen mechanic that I go to doesn't want to address the problem, which makes me think it could be anything, but I am wondering where to start. If it is a fuel line problem, why would the engine run fine in neutral? Could it be to do with the aged fuel injection system fitted, although again why would it run fine in neutral?

Any suggestions gratefully received, though not necessarily understood, as I am not a mechanic!
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: Stalling Issue

Post by Steve Payne »

How much fuel do you have in the tank?

The fuel injection needs a constant supply to work so if you have low fuel in the tank or maybe a short pickup tube any gradient will be a problem.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

Also, assuming you are using a carburetor, check your fuel filter...also check the fuel pump...it should be putting put about 6 psi..if low, it can starve under situations where more fuel is needed...
Frank Schwartz
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Is there not a guage that can read what pressure or volume your fuel pump is putting out. You could have a pump putting out pressure wise or volume wise but a small restriction in the carborator. I will address this with my hot rod buddies and get navy to this thread. Racer Joe
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

StevieG wrote: The less well-known but longstanding Jensen mechanic that I go to doesn't want to address the problem,
Change your mechanic.
shaun

Post by shaun »

We had a car on the Turin trip that would not go up hill. Fuel filter problem.
Try the simple quick fix things first and eliminate these (if necessary).
Just a thought.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

What type of carboration or fuel injection are you running on your car? you Racerjoe
StevieG

Post by StevieG »

Thanks for the replies
How much fuel do you have in the tank?
It didn't have a great deal in the tank when I picked it up; I put around 35 litres in at the next petrol station, but the problem carried on.
Fuel filter problem.
Try the simple quick fix things first and eliminate these (if necessary).
Is this something that is easy for any mechanic working on modern cars to do?
What type of carboration or fuel injection are you running on your car?
Looking back through my paperwork to 2002, the EFI system is just listed as "CBG", so it was presumably a generic product favoured by Cropredy Bridge Garage. If the problem is with that, I'll probably go back to carbs (sorry Steve!)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

StevieG wrote:
Looking back through my paperwork to 2002, the EFI system is just listed as "CBG", so it was presumably a generic product favoured by Cropredy Bridge Garage. If the problem is with that, I'll probably go back to carbs (sorry Steve!)
If you want to meet up I can put my computer on the system and see what is happening, it could be something as simple as a duff sensor or even a split hose to the MAP sensor.

Let me know.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”