Bonnet cable break on SP

Mopar Big Block Talk
Bill Smith

Bonnet cable break on SP

Post by Bill Smith »

Can anyone help. The bonnet release cable on my SP has snapped. How do I open the bonnet???
Bill Smith
1973 SP
1938 Htype being restored
garyc

Re: Bonnet cable break on SP

Post by garyc »

Hello Bill
Sorry to hear that I was going to fit an emergency one tomorrow so have been looking for posts on forum about it recently

Steve Payne seems to have done this before judging by this post below
Ive spoken to Andy about if the cable does snap and from memory he said its tricky but can be done from under the car although not sure exactly how.

Anyway this was Steves post i found when looking for info on this the other day

Re: Emergency bonnet release

Post by Steve Payne » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:56 pm

The easiest way to fit an emergency bonnet pull is to have some wire around drivers side arm on the bonnet pull mechanism. The existing mechanism pulls the arm towards the outside so just drape the wire into the cavity where the air vent is with a washer on the end.

You are probably going to have to remove splash shield to get to it if the bonnet release does snap but that is better than trying to get to the mechanism from underneath especially if the engine is hot. If you fix the splash shield with some self tapping screws or bolts you should be able to have it off in a few mins.

Steve

Good Luck
Gary
Keith

Post by Keith »

Bill Smith wrote:Can anyone help. The bonnet release cable on my SP has snapped. How do I open the bonnet???
The easiest way is to go to a friendly garage and get the car up on a lift.

Then from underneath put your (hopefully long and skinny) arm up between the back of the engine and the bulkhead and grab the metal rod that links the two bonnet catches. You only have to move it a little bit to unlatch, pull it towards the driver's side.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

This sounds like something that the prepared individual could make an emergency release, a thin wire rope connected at the proper point, hanging down, and unibtrusively secured.

Most likely this would never be used, it would save a lot of a$$ pain if ever needed.

Pateras came with this feature, as a retrofit kit from Ford.

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Bill Smith

Post by Bill Smith »

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Have made temporary repair with help from a neighbour with skinny arms, will replace cable when received.
Regards
Bill Smith
1973 SP
1938 Htype being restored
Guy Murray

Post by Guy Murray »

http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D
Interceptor III
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

If all else fails use ratchet and several extensions and undue the two bolts that attach the latching mechanism to each side of the hood. A wobble socket may. E helpful. Racerjoe7

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”