What can I get rid of on my old engine

Mopar Big Block Talk
tdskip

What can I get rid of on my old engine

Post by tdskip »

Asked once before, but am getting tired or tripping over old engine stuff in the garage. My Interceptor ate it's original 440 so I installed a freshly rebuilt one, which of course is non-original. The original engine is partially disassembled and taking up quite a bit of space in my garage. I am thinking I should keep the block and crank, but if I am ever going to rebuild this I'd use aluminum heads and other upgraded stuff.

Given that the engine was tired enough to die, wouldn't that mean the old heads and all the ancillaries such as water pump can be scrapped / recycled? All I really care about is the block and the crank, right?
Interceptor III being built up for fast road touring events

(Please excuse poor spelling resulting from frequently being on a mobile device)
AH1951

Re: What can I get rid of on my old engine

Post by AH1951 »

No!
What, specifically, was wrong with the old engine? Needed a rebore?
Keeping old parts is sometimes a good idea so you can obtain parts which match, dimensionally, or style-wise at a later date if the engine gets rebuilt.
Camshaft, chain sprockets, valve-gear and many fasteners, covers, all worth saving, for reference.
Maybe you can find a buyer for the complete engine, if you decide it will never be of use to you.
If you have space in your basement or loft, why not store the parts there?
Another consideration, should you ever sell the car, is that the next owner might be very happy to
have as much of the original engine as possible, including the iron heads.
Not everybody wants to go to the major expense of aluminum heads during a rebuild.
tdskip

Re: What can I get rid of on my old engine

Post by tdskip »

AH1951 wrote:No!
What, specifically, was wrong with the old engine? Needed a rebore?
Keeping old parts is sometimes a good idea so you can obtain parts which match, dimensionally, or style-wise at a later date if the engine gets rebuilt.
Camshaft, chain sprockets, valve-gear and many fasteners, covers, all worth saving, for reference.
Maybe you can find a buyer for the complete engine, if you decide it will never be of use to you.
If you have space in your basement or loft, why not store the parts there?
Another consideration, should you ever sell the car, is that the next owner might be very happy to
have as much of the original engine as possible, including the iron heads.
Not everybody wants to go to the major expense of aluminum heads during a rebuild.
Those are some good points. No basements or lofts in this part of CA unfortunately, but I guess I can make room somewhere in the garage.
Interceptor III being built up for fast road touring events

(Please excuse poor spelling resulting from frequently being on a mobile device)

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”