basic timing

Mopar Big Block Talk
Dion

basic timing

Post by Dion »

Having changed the distributor chain and sprockets, the engine refuse to start. There is a spark, there is fuel.
When trying to start, the exhaust sometimes gives a plop which make me think the timing is all out. I thought I checked the sprockets but now think maybe the camshaft sprocket is one tooth out.

Problem is I do not want to disassemble the front timing cover again just to make sure it really is one or more toots out. Not looking forward to drain the coolant, remove fans / radiator, water pump. Is there another way of checking?
The Workshop Manual (Chrysler 1971) says that by lifting #1 inlet valve a specified amount, the timing marks on the crank wheel should be in the margin 10 degrees BTDC - 2 degrees ATDC:
WSM valve timing.jpg
WSM valve timing.jpg (183.68 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
and has these specs for the camshaft:
WSM camshaft specs.jpg
WSM camshaft specs.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
However this brings me to two problems:
1. I do not know what type of camshaft my car has (Interceptor October 1968 with original engine). The spec sheet in the manual makes a difference between Std. and Hi. Perf.
2. To use a 1/4" (0.250) spacer seems strange seeing the Clearance Between Valve Stem and Rocker Arm Pad (Dry Lash) is 0.060" - 0.210". So the spacer would be bigger than the specified dry lash? This would mean to push down the inlet valve a little in order to insert the spacer. Would that be correct?
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
JIM2861

Re: basic timing

Post by JIM2861 »

I think it would run ok ish with one tooth out on cam sprocket . Check the real basics have you got ignition timing 180 deg out ?? Basic check take no 1 plug out rig up a wire to starter solenoid , finger over (not in !!) No1 plug hole , crank it till feel compression building up and try to stop cranking when compression at max . Remove distributor cap , is rotor arm pointing at No1 Spark Lead ?? . If you have points type distributor you can fit a bulb to see exactly when points operate,

Jim
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: basic timing

Post by Steve Payne »

They will run with a tooth or even two out. I replaced a timing chain for somebody a couple of years ago and his was 2 teeth out but it ran perfectly. With the new chain fitted correctly it obviously ran a lot better but the owner reckoned it just felt a bit more powerful.

Did you fit the distributor 180 degrees out?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”