Water Pump Options

Mopar Big Block Talk
CJ

Post by CJ »

Some may even have to put an extra spacer over the spring pans on their suspension, to lower the car again after these mods.
:D :D[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He who dies with the most toys wins.
Ex Interceptor 111 owner
Arvor 730 Pilothouse
Mercedes E63 Wagon
Westfield Megabird
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

CJ wrote:Some may even have to put an extra spacer over the spring pans on their suspension, to lower the car again after these mods.
:D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Not again, that'll be two spacers per bolt, (or one long one) soon the spring pans will be dragging along the road! I like the idea of the alloy housing though - the old one certainly weighs a bit.

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
JACB

Re:

Post by JACB »

budgerian wrote:Slightly off topic but useful nonetheless:

440 Source are about to reissue OUR water pump housing (yes the one with the bottom outlet at the right hand side!!) in aluminium. At last..

Quite a useful weight saver, if you ever had the cast iron one in your hands, you'll know.
Shedding weight=increasing performance, and there's quite some weight to be saved by replacing the heads, exhaust, intake manifold and water pump housing by aluminium versions.
I would have a read of this link first http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index ... 599.0.html It seems that this housing could be causing quite a few overheating issues! It also has an interesting discussion about water pumps.
2340/1843
JACB

Re: Water Pump Options

Post by JACB »

Whilst we are on the subject of overheating .... I take it that everybody knows about who the cooling passages in the deck surface that were changed in the later Mopar blocks? It seems that Chrysler were aware of cooling issues and made the changes that became known as the 'figure eight' shaped cooling holes.

I believe that some head gaskets block the enlarged holes and defeat the "fix".

For more information go to http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm and scroll down to "The cooling passages in the deck surface were changed.".
2340/1843
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I fitted a Flowkooler water pump to my car about 80k miles ago and it has performed perfectly in that time.

Last weekend I noticed a noise from the front of the engine so I removed the belts to find out what it was.

The water pump was not leaking but the bearing was noisy but still seemed to be running smoothly with no play.

I don't believe in taking chances and I need to do 400 miles next weekend so I have replaced it.

I had to fit a standard pump as nobody seems to have a new Flowkooler in stock even in the US. It will be interesting to see if I notice the difference apart from the extra weight of the pump.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I don't think you will see any difference! :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
esse1

Post by esse1 »

Steve Payne wrote:I fitted a Flowkooler water pump to my car about 80k miles ago and it has performed perfectly in that time.

Last weekend I noticed a noise from the front of the engine so I removed the belts to find out what it was.

The water pump was not leaking but the bearing was noisy but still seemed to be running smoothly with no play.

I don't believe in taking chances and I need to do 400 miles next weekend so I have replaced it.

I had to fit a standard pump as nobody seems to have a new Flowkooler in stock even in the US. It will be interesting to see if I notice the difference apart from the extra weight of the pump.

Steve

Sorry Steve. I got the last one. :wink:
Thanks for the recommendation though :)
Interceptor III
128-8018
JOC Member 9685
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

slotcarone wrote:I don't think you will see any difference! :)
Well I did notice a big difference.

The first thing I noticed was the temperature gauge would go up and down a lot more than I am used too. Also when driving at under 50mph the engine was running a lot hotter. Normally the gauge on my car runs between the E and M even sat in traffic for extend ended periods. With the standard pump my gauge a couple of times was between the P and red and I have not seen that for a long time.

One new Flowkooler and a test drive on a hot day and it has returned to normal.

I suppose the theory is as the water spends less time in the engine it picks up less heat so is easier to cool, with slow moving water it spends more time picking up heat and even though it spends more time in the radiator it is not enough to loose the extra heat it has picked up. What ever the reason I am going to stick with the Flowkooler. Anybody want to buy a 400 mile old standard water pump?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
JACB

Post by JACB »

Steve Payne wrote:
slotcarone wrote:I don't think you will see any difference! :)
Well I did notice a big difference.

The first thing I noticed was the temperature gauge would go up and down a lot more than I am used too. Also when driving at under 50mph the engine was running a lot hotter. Normally the gauge on my car runs between the E and M even sat in traffic for extend ended periods. With the standard pump my gauge a couple of times was between the P and red and I have not seen that for a long time.

One new Flowkooler and a test drive on a hot day and it has returned to normal.
Steve
Hi Steve

Interesting post ... As they say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" ..... The FlowKooler Pump obviously works for you.

Cant say I have every been 100% in favour of my Edelbrock pump. I dare say that is a very efficient pump in terms of energy used to shift a volume of water at speed (RPM), but in traffic where it counts .... Hmmm!

I note that the FlowKooler pump now looks VERY different from my post of years ago https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240
2340/1843

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”