Water Pump Options

Mopar Big Block Talk
JACB

Water Pump Options

Post by JACB »

Hi

I replaced my water pump some time ago and was offered a vast selection of different makes. I found it nearly impossible to tell
the difference between them because very few manufactures showed pictures and as we know, "a picture paints a thousand words",
so here they are.

Edelbrock even sent flow information which I complied into an
excel graph ................. Yes a little over the top and yes, this does qualify me for an anorak!

Hope this helps others decide where to spend their cash.

Regards

James

Original Mopar Item

Edelbrock

Edelbrock

Edelbrock

Edelbrock Flow

Flowkooler (Old Version - Replaced By New Style)

Flowkooler 2018 Version

Hughes & C.A.T.

Mansini

Mansini

Milodon

Mopar A/C

Comparison
Last edited by JACB on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Keith

Post by Keith »

That's a terrific post James.

Thank you very much.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Hi James

Good article and some very interesting photographs.

I persoanlly went for the Flow Kooler and have been very pleased with it.

The biggest differance I noticed was the way the Engine Temp seems to stay more consistant, before I fitted it the Engine Temp would climb very quickly on entering a 30mph limit but with this pump the engine seems to stay cooler for longer.

Personally I think there is not a lot of point fitting a High Flow water pump without also fitting a High Flow thermostat at the same time because all the extra flow wont be able to go anywhere.

Steve Payne
JACB

Post by JACB »

Hi James

I persoanlly went for the FlowKooler and have been very pleased with it.

Personally I think there is not a lot of point fitting a High Flow water pump without also fitting a High Flow thermostat at the same time because all the extra flow wont be able to go anywhere.

Steve Payne
Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that the Flowkooler worked for you. I used the Edelbrock unit, it is beautifully built, backed up with performance figures (unlike all other manufactures) and apparently reduces the amount of power required to turn it whilst improving the flow. I am also very pleased with the result of my pump upgrade and would give Edelbrock 10/10. Seems these curved vane rotor pumps are the way to go. Even the Milodon pump is an improvement on the original and they simply weld a plate to the back of the impeller!

I also agree that fitting a Milodon (or similar) high flow thermostat makes a great deal of sense. Here is a picture of the item I fitted. I purchased from Image (01904-489332)

I was also fitting a Mopar Aluminium Water pump Housing. I had no idea that mother MOPAR made so many versions of the cast iron item - have a look at 440Souce to see what I mean!
Last edited by JACB on Sun May 18, 2008 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
zacmarshall

I have some high flow stats available

Post by zacmarshall »

I managed to lose the bolts for the rockers on my edelbrock heads and needed to order these from the states which was something like $2 for the part and $50 to send them. I therefore bought something else to make it worthwhile so have lots of high flow stats if anyone wants one. I need to check the price...from memory about 8 quid.
Zac
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Good posting James, didn't need my glasses to read the pictures either!
That Edelbrock pump looks well made as it has a good impellor shape to it unlike some of the pressed steel items. I wouldn't mind betting that if you measured from the gasket face to the impellor face the Edelbrock one may protrude into the pump housing further and sit closer to the plate inside. It needs to sit close to good flow and head from the pump. It would be interesting to do some comparison tests on all those pumps to measure their flowrates.

Mike
JACB

Post by JACB »

Wallace wrote:I wouldn't mind betting that if you measured from the gasket face to the impellor face the Edelbrock one may protrude into the pump housing further and sit closer to the plate inside. It needs to sit close to good flow and head from the pump. It would be interesting to do some comparison tests on all those pumps to measure their flowrates.

Mike
Hi Mike

You are correct - the impellor was very close and I gave some thought to using two gaskets in order to space it out - But after a few turns I decided all was OK.

Flow tests - The only test rig I know about is owned by Edelbrock ......... I have asked them to test a few competitors pumps but they say - "Our pump sells well, we will do more tests if we need to further improve sales". Cant blame them, their logic is sound "“ It works, People like it, it sells.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I'm off out to Florida this year and it seems stupid not to bring something back with me for the engine rebuild I'm planning. Looks like a full alloy front housing and pump going on the plane with me as hand luggage!

Mike
JACB

Post by JACB »

Wallace wrote:I'm off out to Florida this year and it seems stupid not to bring something back with me for the engine rebuild I'm planning. Looks like a full alloy front housing and pump going on the plane with me as hand luggage!

Mike
Good idea Mike

I had the same thought 18 months ago ........... Thought I would be able to pick these items up on every corner ............. Wrong! Think ahead and get summit or ???? to send them to your Hotel.

Don’t forget the Earls aluminium fittings for the various hoses - the old ones in your old water pump housing will probably be of little use. Then as Steve/Zac said you need a high flow thermostat (180c). The thermostat cover can be done later if you decide to go that route. Don’t get a Mr Gasket item - Mine lasted 12 months before leaking!

Finally you will have to paint your water pump housing - the option is to have it coated by the likes of http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/ if you want it to stay looking like aluminium. Don’t use "non yellowing" lacquer ............. I did and now have a nice yellow water pump housing!

Enjoy your trip.

PS did you see the New Water Pump Housing at 440source?
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Wallace wrote:I'm off out to Florida this year and it seems stupid not to bring something back with me for the engine rebuild I'm planning. Looks like a full alloy front housing and pump going on the plane with me as hand luggage!

Mike
Why not go the whole hog? I bought a pair of edelbrock ali heads back in my luggage. Although as far as customs are concerned one of them is officially Sarah's...
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

does anyone have any experience of fitting high performance water pumps to the 383 lumps, if so where can one buy them? as I need to get one for next week for Duxford ( no pressure!! )

Regards

K
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I have read through one of my Mopar books, "How To Rebuild Big-Block Mopar Engines" by Don Taylor and it states that all B & RB waterpumps are interchangable, so a 440 pump will fit a 383. I would however double check with the likes of Martin Robey's or Cropredy. Hope that helps.

Mike.
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

Thanks,

I went for the 8 blade one from Robeys in the end, as I need it to arrive tomorrow for fitting!!

otherwise we wont be able to get to Duxford,

thanks

Kieron
CrAzYMoPaRGuY
CMG-Cellar Dweller

Post by CrAzYMoPaRGuY »

All 440 and 383 water pumps from passenger cars CAN interchange, but they aren't all the same...
Lower rad hose changed from side to side over the years for one...
The aluminum MP waterpump housing USED TO require a Hemi alternator bracket, but it's been made for years with dual mounting- Hemi or B/RB.

I went with the Edelbrock after doing as much research as possible, but my Edelbrock pump vanes slightly touched the back of my water pump housing, I had to file two of the vanes slightly to get proper fitment.
budgerian

Post by budgerian »

Slightly off topic but useful nonetheless:

440 Source are about to reissue OUR waterpump housing (yes the one with the bottom outlet at the right hand side!!) in aluminium. At last..

Quite a useful weightsaver, if you ever had the cast iron one in your hands, you'll know.
Shedding weight=increasing performance, and there's quite some weight to be saved by replacing the heads, exhaust, intake manifold and waterpump housing by aluminium versions.

Some may even have to put an extra spacer over the spring pans on their suspension, to lower the car again after these mods.
:D :D
Interceptor MKIII 140/5890 LHD '72
Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6a '77
Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6b '84
Reliant Scimitar SE4 straight 6 '66
Bentley Mulsanne Turbo R '86
Ford FK 1250 Taunus Transit Westfalia Dormobile '63
Volvo v70R awd '97

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”