Lack of ignition, mended by eating fish n chips...

Mopar Big Block Talk
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: Lack of ignition, mended by eating fish n chips...

Post by Richie »

Indeed. Rather tight in there isn't it...
Looks like the brake fluid reservoirs need to come off and out of the way so that I'll able to get in there.

I just hope that this sorts it - I don't really want to arrive next weekend at Windsor in a Citroen...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richie wrote:Indeed. Rather tight in there isn't it...
Looks like the brake fluid reservoirs need to come off and out of the way so that I'll able to get in there.

I just hope that this sorts it - I don't really want to arrive next weekend at Windsor in a Citroen...
Yes Reservoir removal should give you enough room, that looks like a lovely Mk2 you have there Richie :wink: ... has it got he "E" series Engine? ... the late Mk2 I Have just got has a "G" series Engine, I was a tad down about that :cry: , but we cant be fussy when your buying one as all you can do is go on condition, :shock: , I feel I will be sliding some high Comp pistons in there!! :lol: :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know, but I assume so. It's a very early Mk2 - has the mk1 rear lights for example.
The car is a long way from concours but presents well enough, drives well and is usually very reliable...I just need to get to the bottom of this ignition issue.

I really would prefer not to arrive in Windsor in a Citroen...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richie wrote:I'm embarrassed to say I don't know, but I assume so. It's a very early Mk2 - has the mk1 rear lights for example.
The car is a long way from concours but presents well enough, drives well and is usually very reliable...I just need to get to the bottom of this ignition issue.

I really would prefer not to arrive in Windsor in a Citroen...
Yes Richie, your will be an "E" series, the fastest ones Richie (obviously apart from an SP :oops: ) :wink: ... No, No Windsor in a Citroen Richie!! .... You shouldn't have a Citroen at any time of Life!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

The Citroen is known as "The Slug" - it's a C4 Picasso - a bus basically. It looks like a slug and drives like a slug. But, when it comes to shifting kids and their stuff, it's great...
One of the first jobs I did to the Jensen when I learned that a baby was on its way was to fit rear seat belts...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richie wrote:The Citroen is known as "The Slug" - it's a C4 Picasso - a bus basically. It looks like a slug and drives like a slug. But, when it comes to shifting kids and their stuff, it's great...
One of the first jobs I did to the Jensen when I learned that a baby was on its way was to fit rear seat belts...
I was working at a citroen Garage once Richie doing some building work, the valeter man was there doing his bit to the cars, he opened the bonnet on one and it open sidways , was hindged down the side of the wing top, it was also fibreglass and was bowing and bending, I laughed and said to him "Oh my God" I hate citroens they are so Rubbish arnt they".... he proceed to say "I have one" :shock: :oops: :oops: ... I was so embarrassed and then said to cover myself "Oh which one do you have" "Oh the Belingo" or some model I cant even remember!! "Oh those are nice though I said" .... I really put my foot in it!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

We have a granddaughter now and I need to get rear belts done for the new MK2... where did you get them done please Richie? :?: :shock:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Congrats on the grand daughter :D
The seat belts were fitted on my mates driveway.
The lower mounts are easy, as the captive nuts are already there. It was however necessary to cut slots through the rear panel behind the seats to pass the belts through. The kit I bought from Andy Brooks comes with near chrome finishers hide all the cutting. I believe that the holes are already in there on a mk3...

Having fitted them, I was later frustrated to discover that the belt was too short to fit around a rear facing baby seat. I sent the fitting to Quickfit (not Kwik fit) in Middlesex I believe who fitted a longer belt.

If you're anywhere near Middlesex, I would simply go there and get them to do it... I know that they've done a few Interceptors. Just make sure they fit long baby seat friendly belts...
JOHNBLACKWATSON

Post by JOHNBLACKWATSON »

May not be related, but the guy in the following post had a similar issue and it turned out to be the main battery earth;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &t=1594271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
taximan

Post by taximan »

You will never know if you change dizzy as well as wiring clean up, I would do the wiring first and leave dizzy for another day so the mystery is solved one way or the other.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I've gone belt n braces. Although I now think that the wiring to the tacho to be the cause, the orange box and associated wiring is now in the boot. As a result of the ignition now no longer running to the tacho and back to the dizzy / coil, the tacho isn't currently working but thanks to the help from this forum, I know how to resolve that.

The ignition is now Pertronix electronic.

In at the deep end on Friday. Windsor here we come :D

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”