Rebored 383 engine and new carb

Mopar Big Block Talk
Brett Francis

Rebored 383 engine and new carb

Post by Brett Francis »

Hi every body, my engine has been rebored and a roller cam system had been installed... My mechanic had problem with original carb because i told me the cam shaft and card is not compatible... He tried with a 750 cfm and told me that it works perfectly... He ash me to find one. What do you think about that ! Any experience ? Is the 750 cfm is not a little bit big for the 383 ? Thank you !
125/5251 mk 2 LHD interceptor...
Alfa romeo montreal autodelta 3 litres
Jaguar xjs v12
range rover suffix a v8 1972
Innocenti mini 1300 cooper
Mg Midget racer 1275 cc
Austin fx4d 1976 ex-london cab
Vespas & lambrettas
bkbridges

Re: Rebored 383 engine and new carb

Post by bkbridges »

Brett,
The early 383 intake manifold will restrict the size of carburetor you can install due to the size of the bores in the carburetor mounting pad. Unless you replace the manifold with an aftermarket or later piece installing a larger carburetor will lead interference between the butterfly plates of the carb and the intake. If your mechanic has already installed a larger carb, and it worked, then obviously that isn't a problem. I would recommend an Edelbrock AVS carburetor 1813 to replace the stock unit if you do change out the manifold. If not, the factory AVS carter carburetor is a good piece and will adequately supply up to 400hp when tuned properly.
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”