Winter Rebuild

Mopar Big Block Talk
451Mopar

Winter Rebuild

Post by 451Mopar »

I'm working on making plans to remove the engine and transmission over the winter and rebuild them. The transmission is leaking and slips when hard on the throttle, and the engine leaks, smokes, and really need freshened up.
I have been throwing some ideas around for the engine, but I think I will wait and see what condition the engine is in.
This is a 1973 Interceptor 440. Do these have a cast or forged crank? I thought Chrysler started going to the cast / external balanced cranks around 1973/1974?
I am thinking of using aluminum cylinder heads on the engine. I have two used sets of heads, Reconditioned Brodix B1-B/S heads, stock port window, 65cc chamber, and flow around 300 cfm. The other set are Edelbrock Max Wedge port Victor heads, 74cc chamber and flow about 330 cfm. I have 1.6:1 rocker arms for the B1-B/S Heads and a Holley street dominator intake manifold. I don't have rockers or a max wedge port intake manifold, So I am thinking of not using the Edelbrock heads? I also have a Holley 770 cfm avenger carb I can use. If I use the Brodix heads with the stock low compression pistons, my compression will be about 10.37:1, but with no quench as the piston will be 0.092" below the block deck. I still might be OK, but I was planning on running a mild camshaft, maybe the Lunati Voodoo 268/276 (226/234 @ 0.050") or the next size larger 276/284 (234/242@ 0.050")?
1973 Jensen Interceptor III 140/8400
1971 Dodge Charger 500
1969 Dodge Coronets: a 500 model, a R/T hardtop model and a R/T Convertible
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Re: Winter Rebuild

Post by Joerg »

Jensen had always engines with forged internal balanced cranks, even in times when Mopars left the factory with cast external balanced cranks.

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

Thanks. Someone also mentioned using a thicker head gasket to lower the compression with the small chamber heads.
Not sure when I will have time to start working on the Jensen.
I still have several projects to finish.
I am currently installing a four wheel drum to disk brake conversion on my 1969 Dodge Coronet.
Then I need to remove and replace the engine in my daughters 2008 Subaru Impreza
Then put brakes on my wifes 2012 Kia Optima SX
and change the oil in my other daughters Hyuandai Tuscon
1971 Dodge Charger 500
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

No new news on the Jensen. Been sick with a sinus infection and then got the Flu.
I did get me a new Miller Dynasty tig welder. I plan to make a new stainless steel fuel tank with baffles to accept an EFI fuel pump.
I don't have any plans for EFI at this time so I will just run a bypass style regulator. If I later decide to install EFI, the the fuel system will already be done.
1971 Dodge Charger 500
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

I'm jealous, the Miller Dynasty appears to be the TIG welder to have for quality and ease of use. Check out this guy, Jodie at weldingtipsandtricks.com. He is a mine of information. Forgive me if you're an experienced welder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_sepp9T_M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Grant

Post by Grant »

PaulMcElhinney wrote:I'm jealous, the Miller Dynasty appears to be the TIG welder to have for quality and ease of use. Check out this guy, Jodie at weldingtipsandtricks.com. He is a mine of information. Forgive me if you're an experienced welder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_sepp9T_M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man alive Paul, I have just watched 2 of his vids .. he makes that look so easy and it looks so good and neat!! ... He is Rich ... in cleverness :lol: !! thank you for sharing that link Paul :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

PaulMcElhinney wrote:I'm jealous, the Miller Dynasty appears to be the TIG welder to have for quality and ease of use. Check out this guy, Jodie at weldingtipsandtricks.com. He is a mine of information. Forgive me if you're an experienced welder.

I have seen his videos, really nice work.
I did very little gas, stick and mig welding when I was in high school way back in the early 1980's.
I have owned a mig for around 20 years but just used it for simple stuff, body sheet metal and some brackets, shelving and other small jobs.
Last year I was getting rolled off a project at work and was not sure if I'd find another job at work, so I started taking welding class at night. The classes are 4-days a week, 4 hours long (16 hours a week) for a bit over a year, I think over 1,000 hours of instruction. I took a class off last year so I should graduate in a few months.

The Dynasty is expensive, but has several items that were important to me.
#1, Needed to run on 230 volt single phase power.
#2, I wanted 200+ Amp at at least 60% duty cycle.
#3, Water cooled torch, the gas/air cooled torches get pretty hot.
#4, Not take up alot of room. My garage is not very large.
#5, be somewhat portable so I can transport it from my house to my friends shop when needed.

The welder itself (without cooler or cylinder ) is only 52 pounds, so plenty portable if I use a gas/air cooled torch or stick welding.
It is also pretty small for the power it puts out, and very efficient. It uses about 1/3 the input power as a transformer based SyncroWave at the same output power.
I think Miller has a Comparison and the Dynasty a 200 Amps 100% duty cycle only pull around 25 Amps input current, where the SyncroWave uses 77 Amps input power.
I think the SyncroWave was also over 480 pounds and a pretty large machine.

I had seen the Esab Rebel on the Power block TV show, and it looks to be an OK entry level machine and not too expensive, but the duty cycle is pretty low (like 20-30%) and I would still have to spend extra if I wanted a water cooled torch because it's really setup for the air cooled torch.
1971 Dodge Charger 500

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”