Oil coolers

Mopar Big Block Talk
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Oil coolers

Post by Chris_R »

:lol:
Seriously now, of course you will some generate extra heat with a larger engine but that is related to one thing only. And that is how much fuel you are consuming.
512cu in is approx 8.4litres, up I presume from 7.2 litres. That's like an entire extra small car engine added!
You can reckon on that extra heat going in 3 directions. About 25% to doing driving work at the wheels, then about 35% straight out the exhaust and wasted and the balance going into the cooling system, split between the water circulating and the engine oil.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Lee Grover

Post by Lee Grover »

014.JPG
You could put an oil temp gauge in 1st,see if a cooler is really needed. I put a panel together for the old Type 1 VW when I went thru it years back. I was interested in what temperatures were present. Wasn't that gruesome of a job. Have an oil temp,oil pressure and a pair of cylinder head temp gauges to monitor the heat. Also installed an external thermometer. Wanted to see the gauge readings at different ambient temperatures,yeah overkill. The gauges sure eased my mind tho...

Lee
125/5124.....my ol' blue Mark Two
....and some other makes swimming in the motor pool.
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi everyone,

I have to endorse 100% what Joerg has said re. engine and transmission coolers.

I'm also running a customised oil sump on the 440, with around 7.5l capacity and fully baffled to ensure no oil starvation. And I concur with his thoughts regarding the cooling setup with the auto transmission - remove the bulk of the heat first with a separate trans cooler, then re-route into the radiator to ensure it is not too cold. I wish I could find it, but I remember reading an ATSG Bulletin re transmission oil temperatures, where they said that too hot it breaks down, but too cold was also an issue in that water/vapour would remain in the system and cause problems.

The only final thing that I would recommend would be to add a Auto Transmission filter to remove any metallic particulates http://www.bossproductsusa.com/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Oh, and I concur with the larger deep sump pan on the 727 (just make sure it's not the lowest part of the car), fit the Mopar Performance one with the drain plug, and also fit 4 small magnets inside in each corner (yes, you will be surprised how much gunk they pick up over time).

Cheers, dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Dino Fritz wrote:I wish I could find it, but I remember reading an ATSG Bulletin re transmission oil temperatures, where they said that too hot it breaks down, but too cold was also an issue in that water/vapour would remain in the system and cause problems.
This is exactly the same principle as with engine oils. The tests for Dexron type oils are performed at the same temperatures i.e. -40c, +40c and +100c although they don't then get the same SAE ratings as engine oils. Because it is oil, it is thicker when cold, and therefore pumps and flows less easily and also as Dino says, water can remain condensed, and it is thinner when hot.
A typical Dexron type oil will have a viscosity value of around 30 at 40c and one of 6 at 100c. This is much thinner than most engine oils as you can see when you pour it in. It will not have any tested viscosity rating above 100c therefore transmission designers will work within these parameters. This viscosity relates directly to how effectively the oil will do its job.
It is no coincidence that engines are designed to run optimally at about 88c and that engine oils are designed for the same parameters and it is the same for transmissions. The oil temperature should be steady at around 88 - 90c. Any less than that and you will be sapping energy to pump a thicker fluid round the system, any more than that and it loses its ability to perform because it is too thin to be effective.
Since this thread is about oil coolers, in my view if you fit any separate external cooler it must be thermostatically controlled to prevent overcooling. Routing the oil through the radiator ensures that it will only cool to the ambient temperature of the water coolant which in a steady state should be around 80 - 90c. There is a good reason why the existing coolers are linked to the water cooling system.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”