Which type of Mopar 383 in my Mk1 ?

Mopar Big Block Talk
Tcheri

Which type of Mopar 383 in my Mk1 ?

Post by Tcheri »

Hi All,

I have an Mk1 1968 Inteceptor.
If I want to buy parts, which model of the engine is it ? It seems that the specification can change depending on the year or the car manufacturer ?
Same with the gearbox. Which type of Torqueflit ?

Thanks for your help

THierry
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

383 HP, Canadian spec. All parts fit!
There is only a diffrence between B and RB engines.
For details please see:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Same is gearbox. All past 1965 A727 torqueflight will fit, for details see:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

Best Regards

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Tcheri

Post by Tcheri »

Many thanks Joerg !
bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Be aware that 1958-1961 B and RB engines use different crankshafts from the 1962 and later engines and they are not at all interchangeable. The same goes for the Torqueflite transmissions, torque converters, and manual transmission flywheels and bellhousings. Not that you are likely to run across any of these early units.
Bob

1972 SP 132/5577, aka "Pirate Jenny"
"Shall we kill them now? ... Or later?"
taximan

Post by taximan »

Also camshafts change between 67 and 68 383's, from single bolt to 3 bolt if memory serves me correctly. Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

taximan wrote:Also camshafts change between 67 and 68 383's, from single bolt to 3 bolt if memory serves me correctly. Shaun.
I don't believe so. Three-bolt cams were factory-installed equipment on 426 Hemis and 440 Six-Packs only.
Bob

Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

I was reading about top fuel dragsters today and wondered if the 440 engine could be enlarged (4.19'' * 4.5" maybe) to give a 500 cubic inch displacement? If so then it would seem slightly churlish to not do so at rebuild time!

I wonder also if anyone has fitted a hemi engine to an Interceptor or fitted a supercharger? Are hemi heads available that would mate to a 440 block?

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Julian_S wrote:I was reading about top fuel dragsters today and wondered if the 440 engine could be enlarged (4.19'' * 4.5" maybe) to give a 500 cubic inch displacement? If so then it would seem slightly churlish to not do so at rebuild time!
A 500 cid stroker kit is entirely possible and available, just expensive.
I wonder also if anyone has fitted a hemi engine to an Interceptor or fitted a supercharger? Are hemi heads available that would mate to a 440 block?

Julian.
I don't believe hemi heads will fit on a standard B or RB block, and even if one located a complete hemi engine I believe it is a tad wider than the wedge engine, and so might make for fitment problems. Fitting a supercharger is possible, but would present bonnet clearance issues in the case of a Roots-type blower; a centrifugal blower could probably be fitted in the area of the A/C compressor or the power steering pump. Again these are expensive mods.
"Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go?"
Bob

c.jensen

Post by c.jensen »

http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm

NOT expencive to get to 500" $1195 + ballance etc = $1597 for all !

and if you really want to you can get 543", but stick with the 500 it´s easier, and slap on some good alu aftermarked heads, a nice tourgue cam, some good headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust with x over and you got more than enough HP.

and with some simple upgrate mods the 727 gearbox will cope with all that tourque.

all you need to do is buy a new set of rear tires now and then .....................
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

and new underpants!
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

c.Jensen wrote:all you need to do is buy a new set of rear tires now and then .....................
Nice narrow ones to take the strain off the rest of the drivetrain!

Mike
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

Blimey, it sounds so easy. I was hoping that it would be fiendishly difficult and so put me off!

Maybe this winter could see me removing the engine. The chaps at Mancini were so good with my water pump that I don't see getting parts from the States as much of a problem. I've still got a fair bit of work to do first on the car before I undertake any mods and I've an old tractor that I've promised myself to paint first.

As an aside, I had little battle with a Supercharged Range Rover Sport the other day, we both exited a roundabout onto a dual carriageway together and floored it. He was hot on my tail trying his best to pass but didn't have enough umphh to do so - I'm guessing that my car is running pretty well as a result of the comparison. It makes the Jensen seem like an absolute performance bargain - how much are those Supercharged RR Sports? About xxx£50,000?

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Add the fact you both "did it in style darling", just from different era's! Cheesy grin for the winner:D

Mike
Ole H Sanne

Post by Ole H Sanne »

I have a Jensen broucher from the 80 or 90's where you can upgrade your 440 to a Hemi conversion, pulling out 440 hp.

The Jensen factory did it themselveswhen they re-invented the Interceptor Mk 4. Its pictures and explenations of the system in nice details.

Also a hemi Interceptor from mid 70 I have in an article from my collection of Jensen stuff.

P.S - I have a lot of magazines and articles i bought on Ebay over the years. Anyone interested I can do photocopies.
Best
Ole
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

These are the details of the Hemi heads fitted to the 440 engine in the Jensen Car Company days (late 80s).

More details etc at http://www.british-steel.org

Not sure if these would still be the best option, or if things have moved on from that.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”