Engine block plugs (quiz)

Mopar Big Block Talk
DaveAK

Engine block plugs (quiz)

Post by DaveAK »

Looking at the 440 Source web site I notice they have a block plug kit that contains all 10 block plugs needed. Without the engine in front of me I can only think of 7. Can anyone tell me the missing three?

2 above the cam shaft (bell housing end)
2 under the timing gear cover
1 over the fuel pump rod.
2 3/8" square head - one each side of the block

Mine is a 383 block, but I've done a rebuild of a 440 before and can't remember a difference. Either I can't remember the other 3 or I haven't found and removed them yet. :)
72 MkIII Interceptor 133/5613 (440)
71 MkIII Interceptor 133/5546 (383)
55 Nash Metropolitan
JOC Member 9777
451Mopar

Re: Engine block plugs (quiz)

Post by 451Mopar »

DaveAK wrote:Looking at the 440 Source web site I notice they have a block plug kit that contains all 10 block plugs needed. Without the engine in front of me I can only think of 7. Can anyone tell me the missing three?

2 above the cam shaft (bell housing end)
2 under the timing gear cover
1 over the fuel pump rod.
2 3/8" square head - one each side of the block

Mine is a 383 block, but I've done a rebuild of a 440 before and can't remember a difference. Either I can't remember the other 3 or I haven't found and removed them yet. :)
I had to look at what you were talking about. The screw-in plug kit #101-1075 ?
10plugs.jpg
10plugs.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
If you click on the part in the 440 source web site they have a description of the plugs.
"When we started building our own engines, we found there were all kinds of pipe plug fittings around the engine that we were always trying to scrounge up the correct plugs for from the bottom of a drawer somewhere, or having to make a trip to the local hardware store to find. So we decided to put together a convenient kit which includes every single one of the ten pipe plugs you will need for the entire outside of the engine. This kit includes the following plugs: 1. The plugs for both oil galley ports in the top rear of the block. Normally one of these ports would be used for an oil pressure sending unit, but depending on the type of sending unit you are using, the size of thread can vary. So we include both sizes so you'll be sure to have the one you need. 2. The plug which covers the port into which the fuel pump pushrod is installed. 3. Four plugs for the ports in our (and others) aftermarket aluminum water pump housings. Two of these ports would normally be used for heater hoses, and the other two are for temp. sending units. One is large and one is small, depending on the type of temp sending unit you are using, and whether it is for a light or a gauge. Again, we include both sizes so you'll be sure to have the one you need. 4. The 2 coolant drain plugs at the lower edge of the outside skirt of the block (below the freeze plugs.) One is on the drivers side of the block, the other is on the passenger side. These are located at the lowest point of the water level in the blocks water jackets, (near the oil pan) so they come in handy if you need to fully drain the coolant out of the block. 5. And finally, most aftermarket intakes (Edelbrock, etc) include a vacuum port in the top of the intake for power brakes, etc. Just in case you're not using this port, we include the plug for it also. Four internal oil galley pipe plugs will also be needed, they are included with the freeze plug kits.
1973 Jensen Interceptor III 140/8400
1971 Dodge Charger 500
1969 Dodge Coronets: a 500 model, a R/T hardtop model and a R/T Convertible
DaveAK

Post by DaveAK »

Wow, that doesn't even come close to what I was thinking. I figured that maybe they were including the oil pressure sender/switch ports, but I wasn't even considering the water pump housing. So I guess the four pipe plugs I did mention are considered "inside" of the engine.
55 Nash Metropolitan
JOC Member 9777
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

DaveAK wrote:Wow, that doesn't even come close to what I was thinking. I figured that maybe they were including the oil pressure sender/switch ports, but I wasn't even considering the water pump housing. So I guess the four pipe plugs I did mention are considered "inside" of the engine.
I guess the extra square head one is for the manifold vacuum port, and the others for the water pump housing.
1971 Dodge Charger 500
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

When you rebuild an engine, is it good practice to replace all the core plugs (freeze plugs) as well?
DaveAK

Post by DaveAK »

AH1951 wrote:When you rebuild an engine, is it good practice to replace all the core plugs (freeze plugs) as well?
I strip everything off my blocks including the pipe plugs and freeze plugs before having them hot tanked. I guess you don't really need to replace the pipe plugs if they're in good condition, but they're a dime a dozen so I always replace them. Out of preference I would always replace the freeze plugs. I want to see the state of what's behind them, and once they're out there's no putting them back. These parts are cheap so I just do it as a matter of course.
55 Nash Metropolitan
JOC Member 9777
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

AH1951 wrote:When you rebuild an engine, is it good practice to replace all the core plugs (freeze plugs) as well?
Yes, they are cheap and you will be suprised at how much gunk gets trapped in the block after a few years.
If it has the stock steel plugs they will also rust out after many years. I install the brass plugs, only a few bucks more.

If your just freshing up an engine that has not been together for a long time (like a race engine), then you don't need to remove the core plugs.
1971 Dodge Charger 500

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”