440 Tripower using Webers

Mopar Big Block Talk
Grant

440 Tripower using Webers

Post by Grant »

I have nearly completed my 440 that I putting into my Mk2 with a Manual 5speed gearbox, I am using Tri Power Weber DCNF 42 twin choke Carbs,(as used on Astons, maserati's etc, I am running the 2 outboards as primaries and the centre carb as a Secondary, 440 source Alloy Heads and a E series Type Cam, I thought I would add a few pics to share >>>

With my regards
Grant :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: 440 Tripower using Webers

Post by Richie »

Sexy! Very sexy.
I guess you're gonna have a very modified bonnet... ?
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Looks great!
How much cfm of flow do you expect in that setup?
The much smaller Porsche flat six have 48 or bigger triples on each side I guess.
I'm not familiar with these Weber, that's why I ask.

Regards

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richie wrote:Sexy! Very sexy.
I guess you're gonna have a very modified bonnet... ?
Hi Richie, thank you :wink:
I have used a low rise Offenhauser Manifold to overcome any bonnet Mods, if I had to modify the bonnet I wouldnt have done it, I did contemplate copying an FF bonnet but that plan seemed to involved, itried to track the man who used to make the Alloy FF bonnets at one stage, but a good friend from here told me that the Chap was about 126years old when he was making them and has now gone off to get married!!! :lol:
Grant :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

Joerg wrote:Looks great!
The much smaller Porsche flat six have 48 or bigger triples on each side I guess.

Regards

Joerg
Hi Joerg, thank you for your kind words, these are the DCNF 42mm throats on each barrell, 6 in total, I have done plenty of research and had a very helpful American DCNF man helping me as I have many sets of them (see below, I use them on my 3.0litre capris) they are great Carbs, well I love them anyway, very old style used on many old Farraris, Maseratis' Astons etc, each 1 x Twin Weber flows at approx 550 cfm,this is a 360 degree common Plenum inlet manifold, we shall use the 2 outboards for Primaries and the Centre carb to begin opening (also Manually via Linkage) at 5/8 throttle, therefore the centre one will not be fully open at full acceleration as this will over Carbuarate and produce too many CFM's for the engine :shock:
Here below are some of my collection of these Old Beauties :P >>

With my regards
Grant :) :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Grem wrote:
Joerg wrote:Looks great!

Regards

Joerg
Hi Joerg, thank you for your kind words, these are the DCNF 42mm throats on each barrell, 6 in total, I have done plenty of research and had a very helpful American DCNF man helping me as I have many sets of them (see below, I use them on my 3.0litre capris) they are great Carbs, well I love them anyway, very old style used on many old Farraris, Maseratis' Astons etc, each 1 x Twin Weber flows at approx 550 cfm,this is a 360 degree common Plenum inlet manifold, we shall use the 2 outboards for Primaries and the Centre carb to begin opening (also Manually via Linkage) at 5/8 throttle, therefore the centre one will not be fully open at full acceleration as this will over Carbuarate and produce too many CFM's for the engine :shock:
Here below are some of my collection of these Old Beauties :P >>

With my regards
Grant :) :)
well what size do you use in tripple form on a 3 litre ford engine ??? very nice by the way..
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi Dunc, thank you :wink:
I use the same size on the 3 litre Capri Engine, but the manifold is an independant runner on the Capri, therefore each choke/barrel from one of the carbs feeds one cylinder and is the correct size for that, 6 in total, obviously this wouldnt work with an 8 cylinder engine you would need 4 x dcnf's on and they wouldnt be big enough assuming you would be using another inderpendant runner, but this manifold is the same sort of design as the 6 pack Mopar manifold which is open inside as opposed to an independant runner, this is know as a common Plenum, therefore as each cylinder inlet valve is open it will getting fuel from more than 1 choke, infact all carbs that are open, in this case both the end ones or outboards which will have chokes and jets to suit, to be honest I would have prefered an independnt runner manifold and 4 x webers, but for one I didnt have bigger webers, and also they would have to be turned sideways and there would be one in each corner rather a line of them in the centre due to the layout of the inlets in the heads of a Mopar.
You may remember Duncan I have wanted to do this for a long time, right back from when you found that Manifold you had in your shed of parts remember?? :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Grem wrote:Hi Dunc, thank you :wink:
I use the same size on the 3 litre Capri Engine, but the manifold is an independant runner on the Capri, therefore each choke/barrel from one of the carbs feeds one cylinder and is the correct size for that, 6 in total, obviously this wouldnt work with an 8 cylinder engine you would need 4 x dcnf's on and they wouldnt be big enough assuming you would be using another inderpendant runner, but this manifold is the same sort of design as the 6 pack Mopar manifold which is open inside as opposed to an independant runner, this is know as a common Plenum, therefore as each cylinder inlet valve is open it will getting fuel from more than 1 choke, infact all carbs that are open, in this case both the end ones or outboards which will have chokes and jets to suit, to be honest I would have prefered an independnt runner manifold and 4 x webers, but for one I didnt have bigger webers, and also they would have to be turned sideways and there would be one in each corner rather a line of them in the centre due to the layout of the inlets in the heads of a Mopar.
You may remember Duncan I have wanted to do this for a long time, right back from when you found that Manifold you had in your shed of parts remember?? :lol:

Ah yes i do now, will be a nice piece sweet.
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

I have gone one more, have a look http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jensenmonday ... ersion.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi Peter, yes we spoke on the phone remember?
I was the chap that came to you once to buy your old Bonnet :D , chap with the beard :lol:
Your set up would definaltly work better, but i have many sets of DCNFs as I use them on V6 capris so I thought I would use them you see, its more for asthetic look for me Peter :) , I have also used a 5 speed Manual Box, not finished yet though :( :wink:
How are you getting on with your's Peter? :shock:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”