Points and Plug gaps

Mopar Big Block Talk
Jim A

Points and Plug gaps

Post by Jim A »

Hi All,

After much searching, I can't seem to find the correct points and plug gap settings for a Mk2 Interceptor - 6.3 Litre engine.

Can anyone help please :?:

Thanks

Jim
JOC Member 10,003
Jensen Interceptor Mk II 123/4228
Keith

Re: Points and Plug gaps

Post by Keith »

35 thou for the plugs, 17 for the points.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
bigaadams

Post by bigaadams »

setting air gap when points are new is "close" for good spark but for sure one should always set the gap by dwell...(a must if just tweaking an older tune or dressed contacts)..the dwell is the period of time the contacts stay closed expressed in form of duty cycle..this closed period of time is what ensure proper saturation of the coil for the better spark..
Jim A

Post by Jim A »

Folks,

That's great - many thanks

Have a great New Year!

Jim :D
JOC Member 10,003
Jim A

Post by Jim A »

bigaadams wrote:setting air gap when points are new is "close" for good spark but for sure one should always set the gap by dwell...(a must if just tweaking an older tune or dressed contacts)..the dwell is the period of time the contacts stay closed expressed in form of duty cycle..this closed period of time is what ensure proper saturation of the coil for the better spark..
Bigadams - If the air gap is set when the points are at the top of one of the lobes in the distributor then won't the dwell time also be set by default? As the dwell time will be defined by the lobes / lands on the end of the distributor :?:

Jim
JOC Member 10,003
Keith

Post by Keith »

As explained above, the dwell angle will give an accurate points setting, and takes into consideration wear in the distributor shaft and perhaps in the points mechanism itself.

If you have a dwell meter then set it to 28-33 degrees.

If you do not have a dwell meter, then set the points to 17 thou. And I think you'll probably find that figure satisfactory.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Jim A

Post by Jim A »

Thanks Keith,

Appreciate the detail in your response. My car is currently with Peter Stait @ Kestrel having a full body restoration so I am readying myself for a re-start of the engine - no-one knows when she last ran so I am covering the basics of fuel, air, compression & spark....... :wink:

Regards

Jim
JOC Member 10,003
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Hi All, Found this old thread - can someone please confirm the points and plug gap settings for a late Mark1. I’ve got my mark 1 running but would like to have these settings checked. Also,please forgive my lack of knowledge but I acquired an orange electric ignition module identical to what is on my Mark 2 and 3 - what would I need to do to conver the Mark1 to electronic ignition - not sure if I want to do this as planning to keep the Mark1 original.
Regards
Karan
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

To convert to electronic, you will need the Mopar electronic distributor to go with it. I would buy a whole new kit with new orange box, as you don't know if the one you've found works. I've just converted my MK1, and you wouldn't notice, as I've mounted the box out of the heat in front of the radioator.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

a simpler electronic ignition worth considering is the "Pertronix" system - with a 12V coil, does away with the ballast resistor too.

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”