Best manifold and carb

Mopar Big Block Talk
Barefoot

Re: Best manifold and carb

Post by Barefoot »

Taximan
I bought the fuel pump you suggested can you tell me where is the best place to fit it please?
taximan

Post by taximan »

Just in front of fuel tank above/behind rear axle is where most would advise, wire it through ignition and also a switch to isolate it for safety/security.
Shaun.

PS: It wasn't a recommendation, just a starting point.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

Many thanks.
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

... and here are two pics showing the original Mopar/Jensen intake with the adaptor plate to match a square bore Edelbrock/Holley carb. From my perception this is clearly NO ideal fitment performancewhise.
I would recommend an aftermarket intake for non-Thermoquad carbs. Don?t forget to check the hood clearance. I use a Weiand action plus 8009 but despite new engine bearings the snorkel of the original air filter housing is touching the bonnet under heavy acceleration.

best regards
Thomas

Int Mk III
2211-1490
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Will a Weiand 8009 Manifold work with a Thermoquad, and the stock air filter housing?

I think it's a square bore manifold....

And is the 800 CFM Thermoquad the one recommended for a '72 440 (HC) motor?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-210236

Thanks -

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

Hi Rocky,
yes - you are right, the Weiand 8009 has the square bore bolt pattern only.
Most of the Edelbrock intakes i know have both bolt patterns (spread bore as well as square bore).
BTW anyone selling an Edelbrock CH-4B ? 8)
rgds
Thomas
Int Mk III
2211-1490
Twright55

Post by Twright55 »

I have a Weiand 7500 (precursor to the 8009 and the virtually the same as far as I can tell.) I've never had it installed on my Jensen. It's for sale if somebody wants it.
I also have the Edelbrock CH4B installed on my car right now. I chose it because it looks a lot like the original manifold (when painted black) and mine is one that even has a Chrysler part# on it (which some had.)

I can tell you that with the CH4B manifold and a 1/2" wood spacer (to insulate the carb.), the original dual snorkel air cleaner rubs on the hood (bonnet.)
Jensen Interceptor III, H series
133/5832
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

Twright55 wrote: I can tell you that with the CH4B manifold and a 1/2" wood spacer (to insulate the carb.), the original dual snorkel air cleaner rubs on the hood (bonnet.)
Hmm - same with the Weiand 8009 and an approx 10mm phenolic spacer :?
rgds
Thomas
Int Mk III
2211-1490
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi everyone. Re carbs. I had a Holley 770 fitted on existing Edelbrock manifold. I also run a probably too large electric fuel pump which goes to six on the dial. Never lets me down start wise/restart in hot weather. I have no kick down......well i have never found it.(like the zone on a woman) The engine was completely rebuilt using a new block/pistons about 26 years ago and has done 101K since No one mentions Holley on the forum. Is there a special reason? :twisted: Some of the horses have bolted I think. I would really like to get a bit more ooph. Any ideas? Rocky, I wish I still lived in Good Ole USA as I would bring to you for spells/magic. kenny38 :)
Jorrocks

Post by Jorrocks »

I'm running a Holley 770 on mine. It's ace, worked straight out of the box. Could probably benefit from a bit of rejetting but runs beautifully as is.
1972 Interceptor MkIII (128/4886)
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi guys. Just a small query. What if anything is wrong with a Holley carb? No one seems to mention them in discussions on the forum such as this one. When i had it fitted the Greek racing mechanic told me that a Holley was best with Edelbrock mani.Reason was that many of the "others" can be tricky and hard to tune. "A Holley is easy and any mechanic can fix them". Is he right. Is the Holley akin to the nutter in the attic.....never to be discussed. Kenny38 :shock:
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

kenny38 wrote:Hi guys. Just a small query. What if anything is wrong with a Holley carb? No one seems to mention them in discussions on the forum such as this one. When i had it fitted the Greek racing mechanic told me that a Holley was best with Edelbrock mani.Reason was that many of the "others" can be tricky and hard to tune. "A Holley is easy and any mechanic can fix them". Is he right. Is the Holley akin to the nutter in the attic.....never to be discussed. Kenny38 :shock:
You will get Holley evangelists who rubbish anything else, you will get Carter and Edelbrock evangelists who will rubbish the Holleys and never the twain shall meet!
Most Interceptors had Carter carbs, initially the AFB, then the AVS and then the Thermoquad. In the middle of production, Mk2's that went to the US were fitted with Holleys as were early Mk3's with the 383" 'G' series engine and also those with the 'H' series 440" engine.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Basil McKinley

Post by Basil McKinley »

Hi Ken,

For normal to somewhat spirited driving I think you should replace the single plane inlet manifold on your car with a dual plane inlet manifold (I have told you this before). The single plane manifold is designed for high rpm use. Perhaps others will back me up in this recommendation? You will also have more clearance between the air cleaner and the bonnet (and it definitely wasn't me who put that bump in your bonnet!)

Cheers,
Basil
1970 Interceptor MkII 123/3798
1973 JH MkI 1141/12698
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi Basil. Thank yhou for your reply and thankyou to everyone else who responded. Basil, all these years I have blamed you for the small bump in my bonnet caused by the air cleaner.I had told my solicitor to chop you out of my will.(it would cost more in legal fees to claim) You are right since the first bump I have had a number which Dudley has proudly removed at his normally wicked rates. I didn't know it could be fixed. I have recently done it again 2 weeks after paying local painter $300. Not going to do "it" again. Will show your reply to local racer boy mechanic and tell him to get on with it :( Could have had a new bonnet :D with all the money spent so far. Are you still eating Tassie apples? have you seen a Tasmanian Tiger yet. Regards. Kenny38 :)

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”