Classic cars on the road

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
sespie

Re: Classic cars on the road

Post by sespie »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.52 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1973 Lotus Europa Special
1979 Rover 3500
sespie

Post by sespie »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (150.49 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
o
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1979 Rover 3500
sespie

Post by sespie »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (171.29 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
Bit of a Ford theme around here lately...
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1979 Rover 3500
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Rare thing an early Transit, I know of one in mint condition with little more than delivery mileage. It has a 2.8 V6 and was a special order that was never collected apparently. The owner has it locked away in a heated store.

He reckons one day it will be worth a lot of money as it is so rare.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Grant

Post by Grant »

Steve Payne wrote:Rare thing an early Transit, I know of one in mint condition with little more than delivery mileage. It has a 2.8 V6 and was a special order that was never collected apparently. The owner has it locked away in a heated store.

He reckons one day it will be worth a lot of money as it is so rare.

Steve
:shock: I'd love to have that SteveImage
I really love Transits, all of the models through the years,.. I have had quite a few over the years and I wasn't brought up in a Caravan Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Grant wrote:
:shock: I'd love to have that SteveImage
I really love Transits, all of the models through the years,.. I have had quite a few over the years and I wasn't brought up in a Caravan Image
Good luck with that one, he had a good offer a couple of years ago and he turned it down flat as he plans to sell it when he retires.

Steve
sespie

Post by sespie »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.31 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1979 Rover 3500
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Popped into Witney this afternoon and when I came back I was surprised to find this parked behind me.
DSC_0985.JPG
DSC_0985.JPG (178.03 KiB) Viewed 3683 times

Steve
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Steve Payne wrote:Popped into Witney this afternoon and when I came back I was surprised to find this parked behind me.

Steve
To think there is only 3 years between these cars' original designs, just shows how good the Interceptor is. Not trying to play the Rover down, as it was way ahead of its game, agreed a different class, but Jensen were way above that. The Jensen has had 2 facelifts and the Rover 1 with the vehicles in the picture, but basic body shapes and dimensions the same. No wonder that FF when I saw it back in 1970/71 ( I was 5/6 years old) made such an impression on me.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Kevin Birch wrote:
To think there is only 3 years between these cars' original designs, just shows how good the Interceptor is.
Not just in the looks department but also in the way that they drive, having driven numerous cars from that era it amazes me how many drive like old cars. I am not sure when it changed but cars like a Morris Minor drive like an old car yet a MK3 Cortina drives like a modern. Originally I thought it was servo brakes that made the difference but having driven a Marina that feels old.

Steve
Andy Hamblin

Post by Andy Hamblin »

Steve Payne wrote:
having driven numerous cars from that era it amazes me how many drive like old cars. I am not sure when it changed but cars like a Morris Minor drive like an old car yet a MK3 Cortina drives like a modern.

Steve
very interesting point Steve. My Mk1 Healey feels modern compared to the TR6 I had before it, which was pretty agricultural, but I suppose that is to be expected as its basic design was from the late 50's/early 60's. Spitfires similarly. MGB's always felt a bit more modern though. Odd as they were hardly sophisticated in their engineering.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by modern; the JH to me is a kind of intermediate - more civilised that those I just mentioned but still feels very old compared to anything made in the last 25 years. The modern driving experience for small family cars (with some exceptions) has become completely sanitised. Very easy and relaxing, extremely forgiving and minimal inputs needed but you feel somehow disconnected from what effect your inputs have and what the car is actually doing on the road.

so how would you rate your Interceptor in that respect? (genuine question, I've never driven one)
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

My Interceptor drives modernish, not sanitised like a Eurobox but not old. I wonder if it is suspension components like telescopic shocks and ball joints are the parts that help? The reason I am suggesting that is because a MK1 Interceptor feels less modern and a CV8 feels old.

i wonder how many modern cars there are that still give the feeling you are driving rather than just being a passenger if you know what I mean? I

Steve
Blast

Post by Blast »

Wow ! I am surprised at the hammering that the Rover P6 is getting. I've owned many of those in the past as daily drivers and consider the drive to be modern, and preferable to most real moderns.
That was a clean sheet design led by engineers and intended originally to run with a jet engine. No carry over parts from previous models. The tech of the car is way ahead of the interceptor... base unit, de dion rear axle, inboard rear discs, crumple zones, shin bins etc, The interceptor is old tech under the skin, and therefore remarkable that it feels so modern, but give the Rover it's due, it was the last flourish of an independent company effectively run by two brothers and said much for the innovation that the Wilkes brothers were so keen to promote.
At least Jensen were not taken over by a bunch of losers who destroyed the reputation of the Rover name.

Chris Stearn
Andy Hamblin

Post by Andy Hamblin »

Steve Payne wrote: I wonder if it is suspension components like telescopic shocks and ball joints are the parts that help?
Steve
could be, also materials technology and manufacturing tolerances are much better than they used to be - that has to help.
Andy Hamblin
Jensen-Healey HNX 300K
Chassis 10012
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Southern AZ Bentley
Attachments
IMG_7492 (Large).JPG
IMG_7492 (Large).JPG (289.25 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597