Oil change

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
lloydhutchinson

Oil change

Post by lloydhutchinson »

Just a question.just got my Interceptor back from Bill at Slipstream where I had the whole back of the car rebuilt and sprayed so I havn't actually driven it much.The thing is how often do I check and change the oil and water?Is it every time I drive or what?Oh yes and pardon my ignorance but I'm having a bit of trouble finding the oil inlet.Hope one of you guys can help!Expect lots of questions from me as I get used to driving this "HOT" car
ajm541s

How often etc

Post by ajm541s »

Hi,

The first thing to do is to get yourself a handbook if you have not already got one. Check with Zac Marshall's regalia section on the JOC website.

In brief, for the first few weeks of use to check your water and oil every time you use the car, obviously before starting the engine. Be care ful to check the water level by using the cap on the expansion tank NOT the one on the radiator itself. The oil filler cap is the pull-off one on the cam cover above the dip stick - I think! ( I am a 541 owner and it is a long time since I looked under an Interceptor bonnet!)

Don't forget a weekly check on tyre pressures, and get a digitsal guage because it is reliable. Check the tyres before moving the car, even a few hundred yards will warm the tyres and give a false reading.

Good motorint!
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Timterceptor

Post by Timterceptor »

Welcome Lloyd
Oil filler is actually on forward end of driver's side rocker box cover, the opposite side of the car from the dipstick.

P.S where abouts in London are you? will we see you at the Ace Cafe meet on Tues 11th April, 6 p.m onwards?
Tim Mealing
Interceptor III: 136/8060
JOC Member 8793
Alan Smith1

Post by Alan Smith1 »

Hello Lloyd,
Another thing to check regularly is the Wheel nut tightness; because it is a low 50lb.ft they do tend to loosen. So initially check all fluids, water, oils (gear and engine), brake fluid and petrol (you may be suprised how quickly it goes), then the pressures and tightness of nuts & belts. After a little while you will know what items can be left and what needs regular checks.
Aside the oil cap should have OIL stamped on it and as it can be put on 180 deg out it can be the seven hundred and ten cap!.
Cheerio for now, Alan.
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

oil & things

Post by Tim SP »

A new london Interceptor man eh!
If you could make our meeting (SE London area) We can give you help re.service/regular checks etc. Its all part of the service!!
Another point to check would be the diff. Every car I've worked on has either the wrong lub. or more often none!
Get a area meet under your belt, this will fill you with info & confidence!!!
all the best ,Tim. Kent & SE London rep.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

is my oil filler cap in thr wrong place then - mine is on teh passenger side? (mine is a 383) - use 20/50 oil by the way. PS - this may be due a weakness on mine but when removing the dipstick, hold on to its retaining tube - mine has a habit of leaving the sump with the stick still attached and is a nightmare to fit back in again!
Happy motoring.

Return to “General Discussion”