Racing Jensens

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Yet another Keith

Racing Jensens

Post by Yet another Keith »

Did you know that a 541R was entered for the 1959 Le Mans race by Lennie johnson?
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

I didnt know that,
Did it finish? if so where and does the car still exist?
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Does that mean you'll take your trusty steed on the track at the Classic LeMans then Keith?
ffdave

Post by ffdave »

Leslie Johnson entered a 541R fitted with a 5.0l v8 in the GT5.0 class in 1959, Car no 96. Car did not qualify as it was classed as a 'non arrival'. I'm assuming the car never left blighty as they couldn't figure out how to fit a radiator big enough to keep it cool for 24hrs!.
Perhaps someone else knows what happened?.

Dave.(sad bloke!)
Dave Barnett
JOC member 98
Healey V8 12070
FF1 119-027
FF1 119-151
SP 138-8698
71 Davrian Mk6
69 Davrian Mk4
67 Davrian Mk 1
ajm541s

Leslie Johnson and Le Mans 1959

Post by ajm541s »

Stangely enough, or not, I found this reference this morning while trying to find news of Mike Taylor (A Glimpse of Perfection, Sunbeam Tiger etc). On the website I found LJ was listed for the 1959 event but without co-drivers and so I presume it was a provisional entry only.
I have a video of Jaguar racing history, I'm sure many others have the same, it was a freeby with Motor Sport some years ago, and the lovely commentary referring to 'Mr Leslie Johnson in his Jaguar.....' is an absolute treat to listen to! And could he drive that XK!

Cheers,

Tony
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

mike taylor/gimps of perpection!

Post by Tim SP »

I saw this mentioned on the forum thingy & as Peter Adams recently found a pile of the said booklet, I posted a reply, with a little background on the subject, Which Peter told me about, Mike Taylor, the book, Biggin Hill,etc.etc! It was the first time I had ever replied to anything, & didn't even appear,yet I got back to someone in the states Re.SP's etc only for that to appear,How queer,Bloody computers,I knew they'd bring about the end of cillivlisation.
The point is, i think Peter may well still be in contact with Mike.I'll ask if thats of use,If not i'll polish me header tank for all them points I aint gonna get-Down boy!!
david ingelson

Racing Jensens

Post by david ingelson »

I have a Jensen Healey built as a race car by the service dept in 1976/7. It was built by 4 mechanics, I am compiling complete history on the car and am in contact with one of the mechanics that built it. So far have got photos from Silverstone, Malory park and Cadwell Park. The car will also be an addition in Richard Culver's book being written this year.

David

Return to “General Discussion”