50s employee found.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
taximan

50s employee found.

Post by taximan »

Saturday night, picked up Mr Pike from his local con club with his wife, noticed a brum accent, when he remarked on the car being a merc i stated (baring in mind the accent) that i had a Jensen at home, which he may know something of, as his roots were obvious, stunned, he replied, " i worked for the Jensen brothers for 12 years" and "i could tell you some stories"
To which my answer was yes please and could you write them down for the JOC magazine? i have his phone number and will take a person with me to take shorthand as i feel this would be more fruitful than asking him to write it. Anyone remember Mr Pike? he came to Jensen straight out of the forces and mentioned the 541 as a car he had worked on, amongst others.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

This is brilliant news - I loved the Colin Reike interview in Classic Car all those years ago (1977) which started me wanting a 541 in the first place.

But you'd better get the interview done quick before someone says "Don't tell him, Pike!"...

[note for foreign readers - 70's TV in-joke!]
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
taximan

Post by taximan »

When i got the job, "vat is your name" "dont tell him Pike" was my 1st thought!
Was there a Mannering working at Jensen in the 50s? :lol:
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
capesthorne

Post by capesthorne »

My Grandad used to work at the factory, i'm sure Mr Pike would have known him as he worked in the Service bay on the electrics - he must have been a busy man!
taximan

Post by taximan »

I cant mention him to Mr Pike if i dont have his name, PM me his first and surname.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052

Return to “General Discussion”