FF on ITV4 "The Car Years" August 23rd: 8pm

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Martin K

FF on ITV4 "The Car Years" August 23rd: 8pm

Post by Martin K »

Hi All,

The background to this is that Helen Newby was approached at the NEC show last year to see about sourcing an FF for the new series of "The Car Years" for ITV4. For those of you that do not get ITV4 it is a series where they pitch two cars that were launched in the same year against each other in a light hearted review style. The FF was put up against a Lotus Europa (Renault engine). The filming was to take place in Ireland on The Wild Atlantic Way (west coast). Helen very kindly put Jim Wiseman of Wiser Films in touch with me and that led to filming in April of this year. Thanks Helen!
camera set up.jpg
camera set up.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Alex Reilly.jpg
Alex Reilly.jpg (123.14 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Lead car.jpg
Lead car.jpg (120.56 KiB) Viewed 570 times
I had a 240 mile drive down to Waterville in Co. Kerry, straight from winter storage, a full service and valet. Unfortunately as I parked reverse gear failed! The FF has the turning circle of a double decker bus and on small "B" roads (not very "GT" territory) with no reverse gear and repeat filming on the same sequence of road not having reverse was a bit of an issue but the gearbox problems were deeper and the car sadly was not at its best. There was a production crew of 14 depending on the car so no pressure! Alex Reilly and Vicky Butler Henderson, who present the show could not have been nicer as were all the crew. The car made it through filming. Spoiler alert - the Lotus won. Some of you may know my only other classic car is a Lotus Elan S4 DHC which I have owned for over 30 years. I would have preferred drive it on the roads in question rather than the FF, but in particular a sick FF. Sorry everybody :cry:

I wasn't about while they were filming and so do not know yet what was said. Alarmingly the production company emailed me the broadcast schedule and have it as "Jensen Interceptor FF" :twisted: - something I specifically covered in conversation with Alex. In fairness he had done considerable reading up in advance but I fear the worst.

Sadly my gearbox problems deteriorated. With hindsight I should have put the car on a trailer and not driven home. On my return the gearbox came out and is basically toast. Andy Brooks to the rescue (again) :D Thanks Andy! He sourced a complete drive train from gearbox to transfer box and a gearbox service kit. It is being opened this week and I have every finger crossed. I have had no FF for this summer but if I get it going in the next few weeks I will be happy again.
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029
Martin K

Re: FF on ITV4 "The Car Years" August 23rd: 8pm

Post by Martin K »

If you want to see the car in advance my signature below has a link to a YouTube I made a year or so ago.
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029
Helen

Re: FF on ITV4 "The Car Years" August 23rd: 8pm

Post by Helen »

So sorry you had so many problems with the gearbox Martin but at least you made it onto the programme. I have made a note of 23rd August and look forward to watching. I hope the repairs progress smoothly and hope to see you about again next year.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II

Return to “General Discussion”