Is this true?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Is this true?

Post by Jens »

Saw this one on Twitter and now I don‘t know :shock:
Attachments
649FA8CF-2166-4461-B194-EAF254C56F3B.jpeg
649FA8CF-2166-4461-B194-EAF254C56F3B.jpeg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Is this true?

Post by VFK44 »

It's "true" in that it is a well known "fact" in the UK, but those of us with taste and discernment love the Brummie accent. There's also a Black Country accent, and woe betide anyone who confuses the two. :roll:

According to surveys, the most trustworthy English accent is the Newcastle accent.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
interjen

Post by interjen »

True or not, I've always found people from the west Midlands to be amongst the warmest kindest people you could wish to meet.
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
Keith

Post by Keith »

VFK44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:23 pm It's "true" in that it is a well known "fact" in the UK,
A "well-known fact"? Well-known to you perhaps, but I've never heard of it before. Give us some examples, Stephen.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Google is your friend, Keith.

My reference source below is YouGov.
YouGov data is regularly referenced by the press worldwide and we are the most quoted market research source in the UK.

Their conclusion after a 2014 survey was: "The Birmingham accent is considered the least attractive accent in the British Isles – and Southern Irish the most appealing"

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyle/a ... ccent-map2

Luckily, it didn't cover Aussie accents. :wink:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I think it's a lovely accent.
And I had a crush on Amy Turtle over 40 years ago.
(Opening scene.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXFcJInms8I
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I've realised that "least attractive" does not necessarily equate to "least intelligent", but there is plenty of published so-called evidence of that.
https://thetab.com/uk/uwe/2015/12/04/st ... ccent-4217

Again, let me say that I definitely do not agree!
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

VFK44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:23 pm It's "true" in that it is a well known "fact" in the UK, but those of us with taste and discernment love the Brummie accent. There's also a Black Country accent, and woe betide anyone who confuses the two. :roll:

According to surveys, the most trustworthy English accent is the Newcastle accent.
Whereas the Essex accent is one of the most annoying with lapsed consonants and chatterbox speed especially when spoken by Essex Girls.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Chris_R wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:40 pm Whereas the Essex accent is one of the most annoying with lapsed consonants and chatterbox speed especially when spoken by Essex Girls.
I won't disagree, even though I'm married to an Essex girl. Not all of them speak like that! Essex accent is not the same as Estuary English - it's much more driven , to give it credit.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
sespie

Post by sespie »

When I worked in the UK years ago, the most attractive (or perhaps most trusted, I can't remember) were female Southern Irish and female lilting Scots accents - so all the banks, insurers, phone companies etc relocated their call centres there and hired local lasses for the phones.
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1973 Lotus Europa Special
1979 Rover 3500
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Chris_R wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:40 pm
VFK44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:23 pm It's "true" in that it is a well known "fact" in the UK, but those of us with taste and discernment love the Brummie accent. There's also a Black Country accent, and woe betide anyone who confuses the two. :roll:

Whereas the Essex accent is one of the most annoying with lapsed consonants and chatterbox speed especially when spoken by Essex Girls.
Not everybody from Essex speak this way.. And as much as there is a stigma with "Essex Girls" there are those type of girls all over the country and over 90% of Essex girls are charming.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I was watching "Diagnosis Murder" on TV and the star, Dick Van Dyke, was using a soft American accent.
We all know from "Mary Poppins" that Dick is a dyed in the wool Cockney. He must have had many an elocution lesson to iron out that coarse London voice
(cor blimey guvnor :shock: :lol: )
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Stephen, I came from Essex in another galaxy it would seem. I never had the "Essex" twang but many people were relocated there from the East End after the war onto new housing estates (Harlow being one) and they brought the cockney with them so the Essex dialect has evolved. It is true though that Essex girls can be seen in the best outfits,best make up but are unique in the rare ability to never change from Essex. The men are generally lager louts when not stealing cars or becoming local police officers. There were pubs at Chadwell Heath where there would be semi pro boxing and i would routinely be paid 5 quid a loss, 10 quid a win and 20 quid to throw it in the 3rd. If you resisted the urge not to go full distance with some twerp who was backed heavily to win but was just a "canvas back" you would "never work again"!!
Loved Hainault forest. Kenny38 :lol:
kees

Post by kees »

VFK44 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:21 pm and Southern Irish the most appealing"[/b]
I can vote for that!! :wink:
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

To certain extent the Brummie accent is considered as it is from Bennie on Crossroads “Miss Diane”!
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

Return to “General Discussion”