Cyclists Rule, OK?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AH1951

Cyclists Rule, OK?

Post by AH1951 »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cycl ... -87khrjklc

Screenshot_20220123-112841_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220123-112841_Samsung Internet.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Screenshot_20220123-112857_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220123-112857_Samsung Internet.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
"Even if there are adjoining cycle lanes and tracks, cyclists will not be obliged to use them."
:roll:
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Cyclists Rule, OK?

Post by Chris_R »

Some of the new changes (in italics).

New Rule 72
Road positioning. When riding on the roads, there are two basic road positions you should adopt, depending on the situation.
1. Ride in the centre of your lane, to make yourself as clearly visible as possible, in the following situations:
• on quiet roads or streets – if a faster vehicle comes up behind you, move to the left to enable them to overtake, if you can do so safely
• in slower-moving traffic - when the traffic around you starts to flow more freely, move over to the left if you can do so safely so that faster vehicles behind you can overtake
• at the approach to junctions or road narrowings where it would be unsafe for drivers to overtake you
2. When riding on busy roads, with vehicles moving faster than you, allow them to overtake where it is safe to do so whilst keeping at least 0.5 metres away, and further where it is safer, from the kerb edge. Remember that traffic on most dual carriageways moves quickly. Take extra care crossing slip roads.

Rule 140
Cycle lanes and cycle tracks. Cycle lanes are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
You should give way to any cyclists in a cycle lane, including when they are approaching from behind you – do not cut across them when you are turning or when you are changing lane (see Rule H3). Be prepared to stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists before crossing the cycle lane.
Cycle tracks are routes for cyclists that are physically protected or located away from motor traffic, other than where they cross side roads. Cycle tracks may be shared with pedestrians.
You should give way to cyclists approaching or using the cycle track when you are turning into or out of a junction (see Rule H3). Be prepared to stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists before crossing the cycle track, which may be used by cyclists travelling in both directions.
Bear in mind that cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes or cycle tracks.

Rule 163
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
• use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
• not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
• move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
• take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
• give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
• only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
• stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
• give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).
• stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left. Cyclists may pass slower moving or stationary traffic on their right or left and should proceed with caution as the driver may not be able to see you. Be careful about doing so, particularly on the approach to junctions, and especially when deciding whether it is safe to pass lorries or other large vehicles.
• give motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215). As a guide:
─ leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds
─ pass horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 10 mph and allow at least 2 metres of space
─ allow at least 2 metres of space and keep to a low speed when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road (for example, where there is no pavement)
─ take extra care and give more space when overtaking motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians in bad weather (including high winds) and at night
─ you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances.

Rule 186 (Refers to roundabouts)
Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
• keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
• keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
• signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
• select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
• you should not normally need to signal on approach
• stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
• signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.
You should give priority to cyclists on the roundabout. They will be travelling more slowly than motorised traffic. Give them plenty of room and do not attempt to overtake them within their lane. Allow them to move across your path as they travel around the roundabout.
Cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles may stay in the left-hand lane when they intend to continue across or around the roundabout and should signal right to show you they are not leaving the roundabout. Drivers should take extra care when entering a roundabout to ensure that they do not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles in the left-hand lane, who are continuing around the roundabout.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Anything in the updated Highway Code about adjusting bonnet gunsights whilst on the move, Chris?

(Only joking, I’m an occasional cyclist….no Lycra involved)
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I make no comment on the wisdom of the rules, only post the new rules in their entirety because the new reports tend to sensationalise such things to suit their particular biased campaigning position. There are many other changes throughout the code, most of them make sense when read in their full context.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Chris_R wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:54 pm I make no comment on the wisdom of the rules
We got off lightly, then!
:D
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Chris_R wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:22 am Some of the new changes (in italics).

You should give way to any cyclists in a cycle lane, including when they are approaching from behind you – do not cut across them when you are turning or when you are changing lane (see Rule H3). Be prepared to stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists before crossing the cycle lane.
This has the potential to cause a lot of nasty accidents unless cyclists, scooterists and all the others are compelled to having working front lights. So many still don't – how the hell are we meant to see them coming up the inside at night?
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

JamesE wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:53 pm

This has the potential to cause a lot of nasty accidents unless cyclists, scooterists and all the others are compelled to having working front lights. So many still don't – how the hell are we meant to see them coming up the inside at night?
Unfortunately, with great care and attention. Some may know that recently I was driving for Ocado, in West London. One of those vans has a 26m triangular blind area behind. The ubiquitous motorcycle delivery drivers habitually drive about 2 or 3 metres behind the van and unless you have previously seen them before they got too close there is no way of knowing they are there. On more than one occasion I have stopped to reverse into a space to park, put it into reverse and started to move slowly backwards to be met by a beep beep from the motorcyclist that was right behind the van and who I could not see. On the Chiswick High Road part of the road has now been turned into a 2-way cycle lane so to take any turning left requires crossing that 2-way cycle lane. You can see the oncoming cyclists but for those coming up from behind, it's much more difficult especially at night so I really do sympathise with this question.
I think we're copying the idea from The Netherlands where a lot of the provisions of the (Dutch) Road Traffic Act are "victim" friendly and there is a presumption of liability on the vehicle driver.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Most of the rules are "common sense" but sadly, many people seem to lack common sense...
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Grant

Post by Grant »

Not sure if the is viewable for all, but made me laugh >> https://www.facebook.com/10001222240508 ... 442432885/
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Chris_R wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:03 pm
JamesE wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:53 pm

Unfortunately, with great care and attention. Some may know that recently I was driving for Ocado, in West London. One of those vans has a 26m triangular blind area behind. The ubiquitous motorcycle delivery drivers habitually drive about 2 or 3 metres behind the van and unless you have previously seen them before they got too close there is no way of knowing they are there. On more than one occasion I have stopped to reverse into a space to park, put it into reverse and started to move slowly backwards to be met by a beep beep from the motorcyclist that was right behind the van and who I could not see. On the Chiswick High Road part of the road has now been turned into a 2-way cycle lane so to take any turning left requires crossing that 2-way cycle lane. You can see the oncoming cyclists but for those coming up from behind, it's much more difficult especially at night so I really do sympathise with this question.
I think we're copying the idea from The Netherlands where a lot of the provisions of the (Dutch) Road Traffic Act are "victim" friendly and there is a presumption of liability on the vehicle driver.
Unfortunately Chris having been on the road professionally for 25 years the ministry do not accept the "Blind Spot" theory ...
Their argument is that "You should be aware of your surroundings at all times"
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Also, I have already had someone threaten me and others nearly drive into the back of me because I have stopped on the South Circular before turning into my road to allow either cyclists through on the inside or for pedestrians walking beside the A205 to cross the entrance to my road*. This isn't going to end well.
* I did think that the Highway Code said it was the pedestrian's right of way anyway in that circumstance even before these changes.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

JamesE wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm Also, I have already had someone threaten me and others nearly drive into the back of me because I have stopped on the South Circular before turning into my road to allow either cyclists through on the inside or for pedestrians walking beside the A205 to cross the entrance to my road*. This isn't going to end well.
* I did think that the Highway Code said it was the pedestrian's right of way anyway in that circumstance even before these changes.
I do feel the the American have the pedestrian thing sorted. Cross where there's a crossing and nowhere else or your be fined for Jaywalking .. A crossing is the safest place
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

colin7673 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 pm
JamesE wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm Also, I have already had someone threaten me and others nearly drive into the back of me because I have stopped on the South Circular before turning into my road to allow either cyclists through on the inside or for pedestrians walking beside the A205 to cross the entrance to my road*. This isn't going to end well.
I do feel the the American have the pedestrian thing sorted. Cross where there's a crossing and nowhere else or your be fined for Jaywalking .. A crossing is the safest place
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Had my first chance to act upon new highway code rule 170:
give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
Approached the side road signalling to turn into it. Gave way to the pedestrian waiting to cross. She had obviously not read the recent highway code, as she wouldn't cross in front of me. And then the car behind me hooted me.

So that went well.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

It's new in the UK to give right of way to pedestrians?
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch

Return to “General Discussion”