Highly Recommended Mechanic

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Barry55

Post by Barry55 »

I purchased my first Interceptor MK3 at auction from Brightwell’s in May following some great advice and direction from members of JOC in particular Stu (Mark1Stu). It was in great condition but had spent many years being polished and used very infrequently covering less than a few hundred miles in twenty years. Therefore, without being technically minded I felt it needed a mechanical overview for my piece of mind. I had identified a few issues; rough idling, stodgy acceleration at times, irritating vibration noise near the front passenger wheel and the drivers side sat marginally lower than the passenger side.
One of the hardest things (for me and I am guessing for many of you) is who to entrust with your pride and joy when some mechanical work is needed. Finding somebody who has the experience, knowledge, skills and expertise in the marque is really difficult but again I have been very lucky. Stu advised me that Jim Smith at Jim’s Auto’s in Stourport was a well-respected mechanical expert with Jensen’s and in particular the Mopar engines.

I contacted Jim in late August and explained to him my requirements – deal with any immediate mechanical and running issues and identify any other issues that could be dealt with in the medium/ longer term on a future visit. From first contact he was very easy to deal with and obviously had great experience of the marque. I was fortunate to get a week in his schedule in mid-October as he is pretty much fully booked in advance.

The car was transported down to Jim from Harrogate(200 miles away) and in the week Jim had the car he carried out replacement of the engine mounts(both sides), fitted new BCC aluminium front brake callipers, disks, hoses and ancillaries; advised that the reason for one side sitting lower than the other was due to MK3 coil springs having being fitted to a very early Mk3 which had the 6.3L engine and really should have the MK2 springs – these were purchased and replaced. The rough idle and poor running was due to the car running on 7 cylinders – a change of plugs, leads and some expert fettling to the Holley carburettor resolved the engine running issues. He also fitted a new fuel sender and identified that the radiator fans were running all the time as the sensor had failed and the switch had been bypassed – without resolution this could have been a major issue on a long run with burn out risk. For good measure he replaced the indicator relay, replaced the burnt-out headlamp bulbs and made safe wiring hanging down from the front valance at the front of the engine. He also provided thorough feedback on the overall condition of the car from a bodywork and mechanical perspective.

Throughout the week Jim had the car, he called me at the end of each day with an update on works carried out, findings made and sent pictures through of the works he had carried out that day.

The car arrived back late Friday and I was able to take it out for a drive on Saturday morning. I drove over 80 miles through town traffic, on ‘B’ roads and 30 miles down the A1. I have to say that it feels like a totally different car. The engine note and idle is perfect on start up and on the road. The car feels tighter and much more responsive. I have tried out the kick down and the car now pulls like a train, leaving an Audi A6 and VW Golf in its slip stream. The brakes feel great, the irritating vibration noise is gone, and the car now sits beautifully. This is testimony to Jim’s skills and expertise. In fact the first call I had on Saturday was Jim who wanted feedback from me on how the car drove and to ascertain if I was happy with the work carried out.
Yes, I incurred transport costs to get the car to and from Stourport which were not insignificant but was it worth it – without a doubt – these vehicles are precious to us and having somebody work on them with this level of expertise, enthusiasm and attention to detail is a priceless commodity. This particular Interceptor in the future will be getting its services and mechanical works done by Jim whose labour rates are also very competitive.

Thanks Jim, great work and a pleasure to deal with.
BrummieJay

Re: Highly Recommended Mechanic

Post by BrummieJay »

Barry

I am glad that Jim worked on your vehicle and resolved all issues on your car. My car is also there and as you have stated that Jim knows the marquee well.

Hope you enjoy the car for many years to come.

viewtopic.php?p=251738#p251738
Barry55

Post by Barry55 »

Hi Jay

Thanks for the reply. I saw your car in their when I popped in to see Jim and I can't believe its a one owner car; body wise looks in great condition. I think you already know but you are really going to enjoy driving it once Jims finished on it mechanically. The hard bit is being patient, mine was only in a week but I was itching to get it back after Jim had told me how it was starting to run. Who would have thought it; 2 early mark 3 Jensens with the 'G' series engine in the same colour owned by 2 Indian guys. Who says we only drive Mercedes and Toyotas!!

Let me know how it goes when its all done, I think you'll be very happy.

Regards

Barry
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Great, well done Barry. Sounds like you’ve bought a very nice Interceptor which has now been properly sorted by Jim.

Hope you continue to enjoy driving and owning it.

Stuart
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

My old SP was first owned by an Indian gentleman in the property business, his brother (and business partner) had an Interceptor with a sequential number plate, must have been quite a sight seeing the two cars together :-)

Barry55 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:21 pm Hi Jay

Thanks for the reply. I saw your car in their when I popped in to see Jim and I can't believe its a one owner car; body wise looks in great condition. I think you already know but you are really going to enjoy driving it once Jims finished on it mechanically. The hard bit is being patient, mine was only in a week but I was itching to get it back after Jim had told me how it was starting to run. Who would have thought it; 2 early mark 3 Jensens with the 'G' series engine in the same colour owned by 2 Indian guys. Who says we only drive Mercedes and Toyotas!!

Let me know how it goes when its all done, I think you'll be very happy.

Regards

Barry
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061

Return to “General Discussion”