Surviving Interceptors

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Series3Jensen

Surviving Interceptors

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi all

In my investigation into all Interceptor's, i thought i would update all members on my current findings

In referencing Richard Calver's excellent Chassis Data book, i have identified a total of 6,738 Interceptors of different variants
This excludes cars post 1976/7 - although i have some record of a number of the cars which were produced
There is a small discrepancy in the total number which could be as high as 6,770 - but i will continue to work on this

I had originally thought that circa 350 cars were roadworthy with a similar number on SORN or off the road

My investigations to date have shown that these figures are far too low

To date i have recorded information on a total number of 2,209 cars
I will identify these in detail for each model in due course

Of these, i have recorded 66 cars that no longer survive

A further 524 cars have been recorded but where the latest information is Pre 2010

However i have identified 1,619 cars where the latest information is Post 2010
Whilst not all of these cars may have survived, there is a stronger likelihood with the strengthening interest in the Marque

I still have historical information on more than 500 cars that i have not yet been able to link to specific chassis numbers
Some of these may be additional cars to the above numbers

Although the number of cars that have not survived will be substantially more that 66, i have been surprised at the number of cars that i have identified

I would love to have extended my investigation into other models but the work to date on Interceptors alone has been significant - perhaps one day
THe Club also benefits from much information on these other models by the other Registrar's

I continue to appreciate responses to my Topics on Registration NUmbers and Adverts and Articles

Kind regards

JIm Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF17 Owned since September 1978
ajc9415

Re: Surviving Interceptors

Post by ajc9415 »

That’s great work Jim, thanks for all your hard work.
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

how many of them are convertibles?

Thanks a lot
Wolfgang
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Wolfgang

THank you for your enquiry
I have a total of 456 convertibles identified from the Chassis Data Book together with 42 convertibles with the CV prefix to their Chassis number
A total of 498 convertibles although there are also a handful of converted coupe - although not sure how many of these now survive without a detailed review of my spreadsheet
As you are aware, the majority of these were left hand drive

I have to date identified 41 cars where the latest information that i have is Pre 2010
Of these 41 cars i have been able to link 4 cars to previous JOC Membership Numbers

I have to date identified a further 112 cars where the latest information that i have is after 2010 up until current
Of these 112cars i have been able to link 22 cars to previous/current JOC Membership Numbers

I have owner names against a number of other cars, but have not been able to link them to their specific JOC Membership number as i do not have access to all of these records unfortunately

Anyone that would like to confirm the Chassis Number that they own and their JOC Membership number would be very helpful - but not expected

If you require specific information on Series Nos or Chassis numbers please do not hesitate to ask

I have been added to my list from cars that are surfacing throughout the world - so the numbers continue to increase

Kind regards

JIm Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 owned since September 1978
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Some years ago I was contacted by a member, as I recall who lived in Belgium, who was trying to find out how many convertibles survive. I gave him my chassis details at the time but didn't save his contact details. He was a club member and possibly uses the forum, if so he can probably give a fairly definite number.
Graham
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Dear Jim,

first of all many thanks for this time intensive job you're doing for all Jensen owners.

Regarding my own one - I bought it some 2 years ago in Germany, chassis was o.k. but engine and electric completely needed to be refurbished. It is also left side steering, as reported a reimport from California. I'm having up to now nothing concrete regarding the history, it was sounded that the first owner was one member of the Kennedy Clan (but no approval)

chassis no: 2311/1571
0C6C5A92-49C2-4318-B192-8656D051977D.jpeg
0C6C5A92-49C2-4318-B192-8656D051977D.jpeg (159.44 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
if helpful for you I may also send the actual papers.

Have a nice weekend
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Yorkie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:21 am Some years ago I was contacted by a member, as I recall who lived in Belgium, who was trying to find out how many convertibles survive. I gave him my chassis details at the time but didn't save his contact details. He was a club member and possibly uses the forum, if so he can probably give a fairly definite number.
Graham
Many thanks Graham
yes were having a small community here in Belgium and a bigger one in the Netherlands, but this car I bought in Germany from a friend of mine - and he is not having more papers, because he's a dealer, even the the reimport papers are no longer available - so I'm a little bit lost.

First my intention was only to restore/refurbish him (and then to resell) - but during this time and driving him a little bit, now in the meantime (despite of fuel prices) I really like him and intend to keep him

Have a nice weekend
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Wolfgang

Thank you for your reply and the photo of your car

From the Chassis Data Book it was Ex Factory in 03.75 and was recorded with the Chassis No 2310/1571 although i understand that it is 2311/1571
Colour Cerise with a Magnolia interior and White/Mushroom top
Also recorded as having Gold Coachlines - but i cannot see these in your Photo
I believe that the car was imported into Holland in 2013 by Michael von Aretin
If i find out anything else, i will post again

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Series3Jensen wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:21 am Wolfgang

Thank you for your reply and the photo of your car

From the Chassis Data Book it was Ex Factory in 03.75 and was recorded with the Chassis No 2310/1571 although i understand that it is 2311/1571
Colour Cerise with a Magnolia interior and White/Mushroom top
Also recorded as having Gold Coachlines - but i cannot see these in your Photo
I believe that the car was imported into Holland in 2013 by Michael von Aretin
If i find out anything else, i will post again

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
Many thanks Jim,

interesting facts, the chassis number is the actual one - also stamped in the chassis tube. In the german papers first date of registration is mentioned as per 01.07.1974.
But this may happen, when you import a car to Europe. Colours are matching, golden coachlines he is not having, but the car was repainted in very bad quality in water based colour but waterbased...
In Holland are many importers spezialised on importing cars. Looks like Michael von Aretin (coming out of a very old german dynasty, residing in Bavaria, lots of real estate) has bought the car for his own collection, mostly Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley.
There had been some attempts of restoring the car with german made material (electric cables, relays, fuses, etc.) but due to the poor work the car was never able to run properly. So it's possible that Micheal gave up and changed the car with some financial upgrade to another one. My friend in Mühlheim Kärlich is only dealing with cars in this upper segment told me - it's a very good customer of mine (but in this he is very discrete)
I'll ask him next time we meet in order to get more information. My wife knows Michael personally - but we don't want to be indiscrete...

Have a nice Sunday
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi all

An update on where i am in investigating all Interceptors

Out of a total of 6,738 cars (still to be confirmed), i have managed to find some information on a total of 2,486 No cars together with 6 No S4 cars

I would break this down into the following models:

Series 1 Cars
Out of a total of 1,025 cars, i have identified 452 cars (with enormous help from the Mk 1 Register)
35 cars are believed Scrapped
52 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 abd i have been able to allocate 8 of these to JOC members
365 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have ben able to allocate 91 of these to JOC members

Series 11 Cars
Out of a total of 1,128 cars, i have identified 346 cars
13 cars are believed Scrapped
76 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 11 of these to JOC Members
257 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 60 of these to JOC Members

Early Series 111 LHD Cars
Out of a total of 496 cars, i have identified 104 cars
0 cars are believed Scrapped
18 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 1 of these to JOC Members
86 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 16 of these to JOC Members

Later Series 111 Cars
Out of a total of 1,758 cars, i have identified 666 cars
11 cars are believed Scrapped
144 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 21 of these to JOC Members
511 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 139 of these to JOC Members

Series 1V Cars
Out of a total of 1,256 cars, i have identified 362 cars
6 cars are believed Scrapped
69 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 10 of these to JOC Members
287 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 64 of these to JOC Members

Series 111/1V Conv Cars
Out of a total of 456 cars, i have identified 166 cars
37 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 3 of these to JOC Members
129 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 32 of these to JOC Members

Series SP Cars
Out of a total of 232 cars, i have identified 105 cars
3 cars are believed Scrapped
17 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 1 of these to JOC Members
85 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 24 of these to JOC Members

Series COUPE Cars
Out of a total of 39 cars, i have identified 22 cars
3 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate none of these to JOC Members
19 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 6 of these to JOC Members

Series 1V Unspecified Cars
Out of a total of 55 cars, i have identified 38 cars
13 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 1 of these to JOC Members
25 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 4 of these to JOC Members

Series 1 FF Cars
Out of a total of 195 cars, i have identified 135 cars
2 cars are believed Scrapped
46 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 10 of these to JOC Members
87 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 35 of these to JOC Members

Series 11 FF Cars
Out of a total of 110 cars, i have identified 80 cars
15 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate 5 of these to JOC Members
65 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 33 of these to JOC Members

Series 111 FF Cars
Out of a total of 15 cars, i have identified 10 cars
2 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 and i have been able to allocate none of these to JOC Members
8 cars the latest information is Post 2010 and i have been able to allocate 5 of these to JOC Members

The allocations above may all not be to current owner members, but very many are

In summary i have identified a total of 2,486 cars
70 cars are believed scrapped
492 cars the latest information is Pre 2010 (and sometimes considerably older)
1,924 cars the latest information is Post 2010
I have allocated 71 cars to JOC Members Pre 2010 (although they may still own them)
I have allocated 509 cars to JOC Members Post 2010 (although some of these may recently have changed hands

When i started on this check i was anticipating circa 350 cars off the road and 350 cars on the road
The survival rate is much higher and may well be close to or more than 50% of the cars made - although some may not survive

I will continue to search for cars and if anyone has any information or would like some information on a car, please contact me
i have located all of my information from that already in the public domain
I thank the many owners and members that have provided information - or sought it

Just for owners of other models and recognising the information held by others on 541's and CV8's and Healeys - i have expanded my search - but it is in its infancy

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
ajc9415

Post by ajc9415 »

Excellent work Jim, thanks for the update.
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
bulkhead

Post by bulkhead »

Hi Jim,

In case it’s not on your list, I am nearing completion of VIN 133/5585 1972 Interceptor Mk III full restoration which I purchased in September 2021. It was last registered in New York State in 1992. The history I have acquired to date is somewhat sparse, so I’d be interested in any info you may have to help fill the gaps.

Thanks for what you’re doing!

Bob Wall
Newark, Delaware
USA
1972 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 133/5585
1973 Jensen-Healey 13902
1972 Interceptor Mk III 133/5585
1973 Jensen-Healey 19702
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

bulkhead wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:45 pm Hi Jim,

In case it’s not on your list, I am nearing completion of VIN 133/5585 1972 Interceptor Mk III full restoration which I purchased in September 2021. It was last registered in New York State in 1992. The history I have acquired to date is somewhat sparse, so I’d be interested in any info you may have to help fill the gaps.

Thanks for what you’re doing!

Bob Wall
Newark, Delaware
USA
1972 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 133/5585
1973 Jensen-Healey 13902
Hi Bob
My car which has a similar VIN timeframe was purchased from Grossman Motors in New York. Maybe yours came from there too. I have the original paperwork. I have an appointment in November with the only shop I would trust my car with to get the necessary work done for the trip to Western New York next year. First time I have had anything done by a someone else since I bought it in 1986. :) PS--getting old is a good thing!
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
bulkhead

Post by bulkhead »

That’s probably a good possibility. I’ll have to check with Grossmans and see if they have any record of my car. Looking forward to seeing you at the Jensen East June 7-11, 2023 in Chautauqua NY!
1972 Interceptor Mk III 133/5585
1973 Jensen-Healey 19702
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi Bob

Thank you for your enquiry
Would i be correct in assuming that you are JOC Member No 11158?

I have a little information
Car was for sale by Hemmings circa 12th November 2019
Was White with a Light Tan Interior and Tan Vinyl Roof
I had a name of Ed Cosworth associated with the car in February 2021?

The Car was Ex Factory on 13.01.1972
Originally Brasilia with a Tan Interior and Tan Vinyl Roof

Unfortunately nothing else at present

If you have any previous Owners names this may identify information that i hold and have not yet been able to allocate to specific Chassis Numbers

Pleased to hear that you have made good progress and i hope that you are able to enjoy the car soon

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639

Return to “General Discussion”