Sports Car 1971 Jensen SP V Monterverdi

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Sports Car 1971 Jensen SP V Monterverdi

Post by kenny38 »

I found a copy of a Sports Car 1971 magazine tucked behind my outside Loo recently. It was quite illuminating with the SP newly arriving being driven over to France for testing on their roads. Also a call to Monteverdi and a test there with comparison.
The testers were not at all complimentery about the SP. "Lots of power going nowhere much" They realised that 12mpg was "extrodinary but you don't buy a SP if short of money. Badly built and no where as good as imports such as Citroen SM/Mercedes 350." The article (quite a big one and obviously an insert into the magazine) was critical about startup (hard) loads of induction noise and really canned the SP and said that it really will not be missed except by fuel stops every 100 miles or so when everyone in cheaper cars pass you. Using middle carb getaway was only to be expected a little slow given the 38 hundredweight to haul but the tester found the 6 pack coming on at around !00mph (???) with a generous shove in the back but he felt a bit dangerous if used with kickdown on roads where other traffic might be in front as takes time to settle down again. Steering regrettably too light for comfort. He found 152mph @ 5400 but not reccommended for more than a couple of minutes in the red zone. All in all "a good looking car but let down by fuel consumption "irritable 6 pack" and expensive compared to similar brands". I was quite surprised. The Monteverdi Limo was preferred but over priced.The SP tested was painted Blood Orange and numbered GEA 77K.He did like the storage space and interiour. Is this car still with us? Kenny38
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Sports Car 1971 Jensen SP V Monterverdi

Post by Chris_R »

GEA77K is still around somewhere.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Re: Sports Car 1971 Jensen SP V Monterverdi

Post by Barrie »

I drove an SP in the early 70s and thought it made a lot of noise without being accompanied by the expected performance.

Wasn’t it a Monteverdi that a journalist mistakenly dropped into first from high revs in 4th wrecking the engine?

I love reading those contemporary road tests - not like the anaemic offerings we seem to get today.
A favourite which springs to mind was an Aston DBS six cylinder. The reporter wrote that to keep fuel consumption to reasonable levels he had to keep his speed below 110.
Happy days!
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor

Return to “General Discussion”