Jensen Book Review in The Automobile

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
David Davies

Jensen Book Review in The Automobile

Post by David Davies »

The Automobile magazine has reviewed Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars. Their review concludes:

'It all results in a happy blend of one-make history, potted owner biographies, back-on-the road-type restoration stories, background information, anecdote, hearsay. surmise and supposition. It's not all Jensen either: other makes from Alvis to Rolls-Royce, with Ford, of course, in between, get a look in. Such is the production quality that you mightn't guess this to be a self-published book and it is modestly priced. What's more, it has the endorsement of Richard Calver, the pre-eminent Jensen historian, who contributed the foreword'.

Copies of this limited edition book are currently available from the JOC Merchandise Shop.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Jensen Book Review in The Automobile

Post by Chris_R »

I would completely agree with that review.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

A fair review I agree 8)
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Thoroughly recommended. I'm wondering if I should get mine rebound as a hardback so I can read it more often!----
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Thanks very much. A few more comments from my inbox:

'What a fantastic book and congratulations on the amount of research that has gone into its making' (nephew of a pre-war Jensen Motors Director)

'I think you have achieved a really top notch result. It reads well, looks good, is thoroughly comprehensive and researched, and it breaks plenty of new ground. It is also cheap to buy so good on you for making your gift to posterity' (Richard Calver)

'I have been thoroughly enjoying your book and can only admire the wonderful research you have done to produce it. I particularly enjoyed the White Lady story' (brother of a former Early Cars Registrar).

I am most grateful to all concerned. It was one of two books I wrote during lockdown mainly in short snatches while caring for a family member.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars

Return to “General Discussion”