Refurbing Full chrome Rostyles

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Kevin Birch

Refurbing Full chrome Rostyles

Post by Kevin Birch »

I was talking to a local chroming company at the E-type gathering at Shelsley Walsh a few weeks back. They had on their stand fully chromed series 3 E-type wheels, which like the rostyles are rivetted together. They refubished these and say they will do Rostyles too, by splitting them and re-riveting them. They were a little vague on price but were around the £600 per item.
The company was Castle Chrome plating Dudley, worth a little investigation if you need to. They have quite a good reputation and I will probably use them for my Cortina bumpers.

Website https://castlechrome.co.uk/
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Eddie

Re: Refurbing Full chrome Rostyles

Post by Eddie »

Great stuff Kev. All ways interested when I hear about rostyle chrome plating.

Would be interesting to see if anyone uses them, so we can get some feedback, quality and cost wise.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Hi Eddie good to hear from you, it may open up another avenue, as I believe you were the last to get a set done by the previous company. Hope to see you soon mate.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Kevin Birch wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:15 pm Hi Eddie good to hear from you, it may open up another avenue, as I believe you were the last to get a set done by the previous company. Hope to see you soon mate.
Cheers Kev.

Yes mine were probably close to the last set MWS did. They are holding up very well. I did speak to MWS after they stopped doing them. They did say they would split a rebuild the wheels but wouldn’t get involved in the chrome plating.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I used Castle Chrome in 2015 to get two small pieces of Interceptor trim re-chromed, they charged me £50 and did a very good job.

They are in Shaw Road in Dudley (DY2 8TP), their number is 01384.214429.
Invest in a Jensen they said, they're not making them anymore.
johnw

Post by johnw »

That is very interesting Eddie. Do you remember if MWS were riveting through the existing holes or were new holes drilled? So just to check the wheels were reassembled after chroming without any welding?

(Over the years I heard different stories about why MWS were not doing the service from 3rd parties, all seemed to differ slightly!)
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

johnw wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:32 am That is very interesting Eddie. Do you remember if MWS were riveting through the existing holes or were new holes drilled? So just to check the wheels were reassembled after chroming without any welding?

(Over the years I heard different stories about why MWS were not doing the service from 3rd parties, all seemed to differ slightly!)
John, mine are Re riveted into the existing holes.

A year or so after I had mine done I contacted MWS, to do my spare.

That’s when they told me that they had knocked the Rostyle refurb on the head, reason being they couldn’t control the quality of the chrome plating, they did however offer to split and rebuild if I sorted the chrome plate.

That was probably 5 years ago though.
Eddie

JOC 10030

Return to “General Discussion”