Lack of respect, Bro

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Lack of respect, Bro

Post by kenny38 »

I read the latest Classic Car Mag. Investment Guide 2021. Though mainly reasonable dross and some obvious good picks but overall a bland puiblication in need of a good journo. i looked for the Jensen ....any model..... and found nothing. Surely the Interceptor sprecifically the FF/conv. should have made the list (perhaps a magnificent SP). There is no respect for true history and a major inovator in the industry. Quentin Wilson should know better then to leave us out........or....perish the fault....is he right?. Also when you do see a mention of a Jensen usually the 13 mpg comes up and "hugely thirsty". Why are we always singled out to make this point? After all i believe the early Astons/ Etypes, RR, Bristol were not much better but they never get a "fuel critique"

I have written to Bauer's Chairman with a formal complaint and will tell you the result as soon as to hand. Kenny38 8)
colin7673
now normal...

Re: Lack of respect, Bro

Post by colin7673 »

I'm not sure what other people fuel figures are, but the best I've done on a run is 18mpg but normally manage about 14/15 mpg.. it also annoys me when you read about fuel figures in these accurate articles, you have to question whether these people have driven these cars or not and question how they are driving them, if your always foot down foot off the fuel figures will not be so good
This may also because of younger journalists

The Interceptor may have been left of that list, but over the past 18 years of ownership I can honestly say that these cars are the only classic car that creates conversation wherever you are, wheather in a supermarket car park or a petrol garage. Someone always want to talk to you.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
nrb993

Post by nrb993 »

Well - quite interestingly I am seeing a level and dropping of values for Interceptors and FF's. Exceptional models are the exception.

Not much of an immediate investment for speculators; although this will be good if you buy now as you can buy in cheaper today than a year ago.

But good news for enthusiasts :D
:D JOC Interceptor Registrar 8)
Restoring JH2
Interceptor MK III 'H' series - yellow
Used to own FFII - 127/223 :lol:
-- JOC 5114 --
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Yes, one does get a lot of attention and casual discussion at stops along the way. It would be nice though to get some recognition from motoring writers. I suppose Quentin believes our cars are perhaps over valued with not much in the way of price rises recent auction results look a bit tepid but then so do other car sales.........the horror. Kenny38
johnw

Post by johnw »

Kenny can we have a copy of your letter to Bauers chariman? I bet it was a good read. Who did you get to photoshop the pictures?

What amazes me is the fuel consumption of the SP in its original tune, better figures than any other Interceptor when driven slowly gently running on the just the centre two barrel carb. Introducing the smogged 440 as the fuel crisis began, when not just the price of petrol, but rationing was talked about. Increasing the engine size, fitting extra carburettors, and dropping the smaller engine car, the consumption figure of the smogged 440 is all people saw as the journos wanted a front page sensation not an eco innovative bigger engined car that used less fuel but had more carbs. If Jensen were TVR, they would have had free beer at the launch and topless girls, you can then blackmail the journos with the photos after the launch into writing truth.

I think another mistake Jensen did (easy in hindsight) was dropping the FF. Jensen were going to the wall anyway, they could have at least made a few more FFs, done convertible and SP FFs. Why not? You are a bespoke car company, it is the same car base from the bulkhead back. Various engine sizes just because, anything with a Chrysler bell housing bolt pattern should be on the list. Manual and automatic. A truly bespoke car company. FF as a flagship option for any model, Jensen GT FF, with a Rover V8 Manual box power train, if you wanted one, would not have required an extra license from FF if they used a bigger engine, the Rover one was there for the taking. Jensen could use FF on large engined cars only 3 litre plus, all sold at a good premium. All these should sell in small numbers. Lots of small numbers models. As Red Ken halted BL production, Jensen could have made Metro and Marina bodyshells to keep the Wolf from the door, but no one expected Red Ken. Me, I would have been blindly making FFs, then Red Ken would have been our saviour. Saved by the commies. Wouldn't be the first time would it. Jensen would have found production filler jobs to keep things going. I think the new management were indoctrinated, that you need to mass produce, streamline, not have too many models, but they hadn't integrated that mindset with a genuine pre war full custom bespoke builder mentality that was Jensen's calling card.

I have not seen a drop in FF values Kenny, where did you get that from? I am always planning a way to stock up. I have my usual £10K budget as ever and want a complete car with Maxaret, servo, front suspension, and all FF 4WD. Happy to take on any tarp damage wrecks. In 2017 I got one for well under that :wink:. Nothing since then. Interceptor prices have weakened, and what a bargain they are. Fit a manual trans and a six pack, skim the heads and go Ferrari hunting on a budget! Why not? What is wrong with these people?
(edit: always happy to sell on the conversion kit software as shown in my profile pic :wink: )
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Quentin is very keen on the Interceptor and may well be reading this post on the Forum!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

Take a journalists input with a pinch of salt. Most can only quote from previous articles written 20/40 years ago, not from personal experience. But, unless you own the car for months...how can you be qualified to write about it ?

This is exactly where all the MPG nonsense comes from...........but if 14mpg horrifies you, you just bought the wrong car anyway. That's the cost of the hobby. Collect butterflies instead.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

I have had a very nice reply from Quentin. He has stated that he is a keen admirer of all Jensen models and has actually owned a few over time. At the moment he is of the opinion that Jensen prices have "peaked" some what but will be keeping an eye on them and will of course write about any change. Was very impressed with his polite and prompt reply. Kenny38
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I am sure Quentin was in a TV program where he praised the Interceptor.

There are cars even produced now that use nearly as much fuel. Part of the problem is the size of fuel tank on long trips, another 5 gallons would be good.

Unless you are doing a lot of miles annually the cost of the fuel is not a problem. A modern car that uses half the fuel is going to cost you more in depreciation than the extra to run an Interceptor.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

When I met Quentin he was very enthusiastic, if not gushing, about Jensens and raved about mine. He said he loved big American engines and loved CV8's and Interceptors. Quentin said he had the best drive of his life when he sold his Interceptor to a Spanish fellow and drove all the way to Spain in it. Presumably he got a cross channel ferry in the process ....
I am aware that our cars are dinosaurs, but in the future special cars will be even more cherished than they are today. Like horses were once driven so hard, they died in the streets and were then carted away to a knackers yard to be rendered down for glue, they are now (mostly) loved for the beautiful creatures they actually are . I feel very confident about the future for our beautiful and special cars :D
Attachments
Quinten Willson0009.jpg
Quinten Willson0009.jpg (169.56 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Last edited by Frankoid on Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

JOC official Lightning engineer

Return to “General Discussion”