New Electric Ford Mustang

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: New Electric Ford Mustang

Post by Richie »

RockyUSA wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:45 am Ritchie....

You can say what you like, but a buddy of mine just drove his Suburban up from Texas to join us on our driving trip near Lake Michigan,

If he had to stop every 3 hours for a 15-30 minute “quick charge” he wouldn’t have made the journey.

If we had to find “super chargers” in the lower peninsula of Michigan, we would have added hours to our route.

Anyway- we may be old dinosaurs, but we had a blast.

And batteries in the near, and foreseeable future will not have the range, nor the rapid “recharge” ability that a tank of petrol does.

Rocky

5F74B20D-394E-4F4F-B87F-099FC81EC596.jpeg
I agree. But how often does a typical driver undertake a drive of over 1000 miles? That's pretty exceptional to say the least. :D

Many would argue, with much justification, that from a practical point of view, the most suitable vehicle for such a journey wouldn't be fuelled by batteries or petrol, but by aviation fuel. :D

But to return to the questions asked...
Mustang is, for me, the wrong name for what appears to be a great car.

And, as a car enthusiast, for the daily driver, I would choose electric over combustion every time.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Agree with you 100%, Wolfgang.

Today, we are driving 3 hours each way to pick up my “new to me” TVR 2500M, completing my stable of cars that I wanted to have since high school.

Not sure that a Prius (or a Tesla Cybertruck) would be the optimum vehicle for the job.

I, like Thomas A.Edison, do believe that electric powered trucks are probably the correct choice for intercity delivery....

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Great choice of vehicle in the TVR.

I properly fancy a Chimaera myself.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Richie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:33 am
RockyUSA wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:45 am Ritchie....

You can say what you like, but a buddy of mine just drove his Suburban up from Texas to join us on our driving trip near Lake Michigan,

If he had to stop every 3 hours for a 15-30 minute “quick charge” he wouldn’t have made the journey.

If we had to find “super chargers” in the lower peninsula of Michigan, we would have added hours to our route.

Anyway- we may be old dinosaurs, but we had a blast.

And batteries in the near, and foreseeable future will not have the range, nor the rapid “recharge” ability that a tank of petrol does.

Rocky

5F74B20D-394E-4F4F-B87F-099FC81EC596.jpeg
I agree. But how often does a typical driver undertake a drive of over 1000 miles? That's pretty exceptional to say the least. :D

Many would argue, with much justification, that from a practical point of view, the most suitable vehicle for such a journey wouldn't be fuelled by batteries or petrol, but by aviation fuel. :D

But to return to the questions asked...
Mustang is, for me, the wrong name for what appears to be a great car.

And, as a car enthusiast, for the daily driver, I would choose electric over combustion every time.
Richie,
Youve been lucky to have an EV as a company car, which allows a greater understanding, but not everybody is as lucky as you
Therefore at present for many, EV isn't an option because of cost
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Whether a car forms part of someone's hard earned remuneration package instead of £&p doesn't really matter when addressing the two questions here which are:

Is Mustang a daft name for Ford's new EV?

The consensus seems to be yes, it is.

The second is, when cost is neutral,, which it very soon will be, (if not already in some cases) would you choose electric over combustion?

This seems harder to answer...

I'm often puzzled by the anger that seems directed towards EVs. I don't get that at all. I do however fully understand the anger at potentially being told that, in future, you must buy an EV. I can easily understand why denial of choice would annoy. I do get that.

But, if you're in the new car market and for the time being if you can charge at home, given the choice...

Would Sir prefer more or less convenience?
Would Sir prefer more or less refinement?
Would Sir prefer more or less acceleration?
Would Sir prefer more or less throttle response?
Would Sir prefer more or less maintenance?

As a car enthusiast, I know what I'd be choosing.

But, no matter how good it may be, still as an enthusiast, I couldn't face explaining an electric Mustang :D :D

But I am looking forward to seeing what the enthusiasts marque of choice, Alfa Romeo of course, will offer as their electric car. Italian electrics... what could possibly go wrong... :D
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Richie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:56 pm... I am looking forward to seeing what the enthusiasts marque of choice, Alfa Romeo of course, will offer as their electric car. Italian electrics... what could possibly go wrong... :D
Easy to name that one:. The Alfa Romeo Sizzle.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Well, The Sizzle is better name than that given to their forthcoming hybrid, the Tonale..aka the Toenail.
Another great looking car with the wrong name...
Attachments
r9qyw3lbmza7.jpg
r9qyw3lbmza7.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

While I understand you wanting to bring the post back in track but this has naturally taken a good direction of discussion regarding EVs, whether or not they are a batter replacement for ICG, which of course you could say it's a natural progression of the motorcar.. You can look back in history and see that the electric car today, or at least in the early days hasn't really progressed very far, as for distant travel on charge.. This, you could say is an argument along the same lines as Bata or VHS, those with the most money wins the argument.

But the big question is, we are being pushed down a road without any answers. batteries will not last for ever, What happens to them once used, Second hand price of an EV car, who will be responsible for possible changing those worn batteries to pro long the life of the car, or will the car go back to the factory to be recommissioning to become a " New Car"
The quest for everybody to drive an EV when our thirst for electric is out stripping production from gas or coal driven power stations.

Paul Lewis converted his or Lisa car, I think, to run on hydrogen, which I know has other problems, but surely this is the better way to go. How can cutting trees down for Bio Fuel be a correct way..

I affraid that as far as Electrical Cars go I really don't think any government has thought this through correctly, yes it's better for fresh air, but is it better for the planet ?

If we are being pushed in the Eletric Car, Buses and Lorries then where is the power for all this going to come from ??

Sometime ago watched a documentary about this very subject, it concluded that if, as a human race, want to quench our thirst of electric then we need to have nuclear.. and things like Chernobyl would have to an acceptable loss.

So be pushed down this road carefully, not all government or environmental lies are true
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

No car is good for the environment.
Some are just less harmful than others.

Hydrogen is an interesting one. It's well known that hyrogen production is, to say the least, an energy intensive process. So, if cars were to be hydrogen powered, would the production of the necessary quantities of hydrogen use more or less energy than generating the same amount of electricity to use directly in BEVs?

But, if reducing the environmental impact of cars is the key concern, then we should be on the train...HS2 anyone?!?!?
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I think the point of Hydrogen is more for the convenience with refilling and potentially range.

Maybe we need both?

There was someone on the radio this week that reckoned Hydrogen could be the most likely option for heating our homes.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
ajc9415

Post by ajc9415 »

I think battery powered cars will be an interim solution. I certainly aim to get an electric car as my next everyday car. I rarely travel more than 100 miles so for me range is not an issue. In terms of the availability of electricity I think most of the charging will be over night when the grid is generally very quiet. A friend who works for Tesla has solar panels at home and one of the Tesla home batteries so he charges the car from the power stored in the home battery which has come from the sun 🌞. I think I’m right in saying that it can also work the other way around so if your car is sitting on the drive fully charged you can effectively plug in your house so it runs from the car battery.....
I do think hydrogen will be the future as batteries are very environmentally damaging in their current form.
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

20210529_011018.jpg
20210529_011018.jpg (233.47 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

Hmm, This so called wonder we are being forced fed is doing my head in- since when did electricity grow out the ground then?
The constant 'coolness' factor & the saving the planet thing, utter utter cobblers in my view.
As been said, what about the cells, what about mining lithium etc?
Hows great is Nuclear for power- the spent rods, which are slowly eating away their bunkers at christ knows what damage to the environment long term, in fact who knows what that crap has done already??
And then there is the total built in zero longevity.

Plastic? hot on carry bags at shops, not so on packaging or car interior etc.

The car guy is always demonised & used as a great scapegoat, so electric aircraft then??

I read a somewhere not long ago about the damage the use does compared to other things, aircraft inc, it was miniscule-
Electric is zero impact is it?? really.
By all means improve things, but this total as usual knee jerk that we must all be electric tomorrow, and as said the marketing to the youth that its cool & comes with no cost or baggage is criminal in my mind.
Personally, I find electric cars hateful.
What about LPG then?? Ofcourse not silly, their aint no money in that!

Cars are becoming like kitchen appliances, I fear the future & feel lucky I remember the world before it was run by idiots with god knows what agenda, plus the freedom enjoyed.
Younger folks wont have that, which is what I think 'they' want, drones & sheep who will go quietly into what ever they are told to.

Mr Very Furious , Kent.

PS How dare Ford put the name Mustang on that vile abomination- A stern letter to Ford 111 to follow!
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

"Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think" :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57253947
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

One of the comments sums it up well. ''If electric cars are so good they would not need to ban ICE vehicles as they would naturally die out''

As I have said I think Electric vehicles suit some people and how they use there vehicles and maybe there is a case that people who only use there cars for short regular journeys should be steered towards electric.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer

Return to “General Discussion”