First Electric Jensen?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AlistairT

First Electric Jensen?

Post by AlistairT »

Just watched the new trailer for vintage voltage car program on DMAX channel they will be converting a Mark 3 to electric power. They are based in Wales and have done a number of classic car’s from a Fiat 500 to a MGB, anyone know who’s car it is? I’ll have to watch it again and try and get the reg number..
Alistair Thomas
Lancashire
541R
ajc9415

Re: First Electric Jensen?

Post by ajc9415 »

I can’t answer your question but I did watch the episode where they converted a VW Karmann Ghia which I thought was excellent. I know a lot of people would be horrified by the prospect but live and let live! It is expensive, I think the VW was £35,000 for the conversion so I’m sure an Interceptor would be a lot more. I was surprised that it still uses the existing manual gearbox and existing axle etc. I had assumed electric vehicles would be direct drive from the motor. I wonder if they can still use the automatic gearbox of an Interceptor? I guess we will find out soon!
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
johnw

Post by johnw »

Jensen were building EVs in the 40s/50s for railways etc. So it won't be the first Jensen EV!

On the later Jensens I would have thought you could bypass the the transmission, and use a reduction gearbox, and drive the rear propshaft from that directly. It is a bit more complicated with a VW as you have the rear diff integrated into the back to front transaxle.

I believe early Tesla's use a Borg Warner reduction gearbox with Integrated diff.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

"In 1948 [Jensen] made an agreement with Hindle Smart to build a battery-electric version of the Tug, which was called the Jen-Helecs. They produced the Jen-Helecs Model 210, a battery-electric tractor unit suitable for use with semi-trailers of 30–40 cwt capacity. It had a maximum speed of 16 mph, a range of 20 miles and was fitted with a 36-cell 192 Ahr battery, mounted in two panniers, one on either side of the chassis."

Stephen
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Richard Calver

First Jensen club?

Post by Richard Calver »

It's also the first reference to a Jensen drivers' club that I know about, predating the JOC by 22 years.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
AlistairT

Post by AlistairT »

Well thanks for your replies guy’s, I didn’t think it would work, but what was yesterday’s date??
LOL , not a bad April fools joke..
Alistair Thomas
Lancashire
541R
ajc9415

Post by ajc9415 »

Well done! Irrespective of the lack of Jensen I do think it’s an interesting series.
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648

Return to “General Discussion”