New Owner - WIL

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Series3Jensen

Re: New Owner

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi Wil

Original Registration Number comes from Richard Calver's Chassis Data Book together with details of the factory fitted options

Kind regards

JIm Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 owned since September 1978
WIL

Post by WIL »

Series3Jensen wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:24 pm Hi Wil

Original Registration Number comes from Richard Calver's Chassis Data Book together with details of the factory fitted options

Kind regards

JIm Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 owned since September 1978
Thanks Jim that's interesting.

I rather glad the reg was changed to WLL 526M, I didn't but the car for that, but happened to be just right for me!

WIL LEAPER !
Jensen Interceptor 111
1970 E-type Jaguar S11 2+2
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
1975 Alfa Romeo GT 1.8 (resto project.. one day!)
Morris Highwayman 1962
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

WIL wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:50 pmCan I find out if the GKN s are original?
GKN alloy wheels were standard fitment on Mk3 Interceptors.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
WIL

Post by WIL »

Chris_R wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 pm
So there is every possibility that mine are original GKNs
They are all in reasonable condition, any advice on leave them as are, or consider refurb?
best regards,
Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
Morris Highwayman 1962
johnw

Post by johnw »

My advice is to not get them diamond cut, as that can only be done a certain number of times before there is too little metal left. Phil did a really nice job of his wheels here, cleaning them up. I would also say to wax polish the wheels instead of clear coating them. Diamond cut they look brilliant, but once clear coated it dulls that shine, and clear coat eventually chips, goes white, etc if used in the wet. Hand polished and waxed, you can touch up the finish and rewax relatively easily, and never have the fear of having a massive job of removing the clear coat. If yours are not clear coated, maybe just a polish and wax will keep them sharp or improve them a little.

This thread, Wheel refurb by Phil Heys is good:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30613

Some (not all) of the wheels are marked GKN, and may have a date code on them as well. Not sure about the date. There are 17" reproductions of the wheels, not sure if there are 15" repros, so yours are most likely original GKNs.
WIL wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 pm
Chris_R wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 pm
So there is every possibility that mine are original GKNs
They are all in reasonable condition, any advice on leave them as are, or consider refurb?
best regards,
Wil
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I simply polish the alloy on mine once or twice a year, by hand, using Autosol (or similar) metal polish. If the wheel paintwork is OK, a little car wax polish keeps them looking good.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi Will,
There are a couple of Interceptor technical documents available to members and can be found here - https://joc.org.uk/magazines/tech-tips/
They Include
1) Southern Area Interceptor Technical Tips Manual - A collections of various articles from JOC and other publications
and
2) JIOC Technical Tips - A collection of very useful tips from the now defunct Jensen Interceptor Owners Club, Edited by Hugh Milligan.
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
WIL

Post by WIL »

Fishyboy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:52 pm Hi Will,
There are a couple of Interceptor technical documents available to members and can be found here - https://joc.org.uk/magazines/tech-tips/
They Include
1) Southern Area Interceptor Technical Tips Manual - A collections of various articles from JOC and other publications
and
2) JIOC Technical Tips - A collection of very useful tips from the now defunct Jensen Interceptor Owners Club, Edited by Hugh Milligan.
Phil
Hi Phil,

Thank you for the links.

I am currently deciding on any work needed to the MK111, and the best way forward.

As you know, it is always a process of priorities with any classic car, and, as I am gradually learning, (with all the very useful information from JOC), especially Jensen Interceptors!

Meanwhile, I have been enjoying my first drives in my newly acquired Jensen-Healey!

The previous owner gave me a collection of old JOC magazines (dating from 1990), fascinating reading and very informative...

best regards,

Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
Morris Highwayman 1962
WIL

Post by WIL »

WLL back in my workshop...

I'm looking forward to working on it (I think!)
and will no doubt have a few questions
Attachments
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG (90.89 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
Jensen Interceptor 111
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
Morris Highwayman 1962
WIL

Post by WIL »

One of the first jobs....

There is an exhaust blow on both manifolds, therefore will need replacement/repair,
any advice on finding parts, and carrying out work would be welcome,

thanks,

Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
Morris Highwayman 1962
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi all wheel polishers. A local resto company told me to use a product called PURPLE to shine the wheels. Does a marvellous job and in my op better than autosole.
Kenny38 :)
johnw

Post by johnw »

WIL wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 pm One of the first jobs....

There is an exhaust blow on both manifolds, therefore will need replacement/repair,

thanks,

Wil
You may well lose some coolant when you remove the manifolds. One or two studs usually come out and some go into the water jacket, so a wipe on the threads with gasket sealant and possibly a new stud. The gaskets often blow due to the fact that there shouldn't be any fitted at all! People are always asking for them so some enterprising spark started making them! The manifolds can warp badly, so check with a straight edge. Small deviations are OK. I would clean up the faces with 80 grit sand paper, by hand, making sure you don't round off the faces, then use Holts Firegum on the sealing surfaces, and warm up the car slowly, let it idle for 5 mins, then leave for 30 mins to harden, then treat carefully for the first 30 mins. After that you should be able to have them glowing red hot without blowing. While you have the manifolds off, check that the exhaust brackets support the exhausts and downpipes with no weight on the downpipe flange. Also check that the downpipes are running close to the floor, too much gap is caused by failing engine mounts, which can crack the manifolds when the downpipes catch on the road, or when the engine moves too much. If you want to spend some money, my advice is new engine mounts, not new gaskets.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
WIL

Post by WIL »

johnw wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:05 am

thanks,

Wil
You may well lose some coolant when you remove the manifolds. One or two studs usually come out and some go into the water jacket, so a wipe on the threads with gasket sealant and possibly a new stud. The gaskets often blow due to the fact that there shouldn't be any fitted at all! People are always asking for them so some enterprising spark started making them! The manifolds can warp badly, so check with a straight edge. Small deviations are OK. I would clean up the faces with 80 grit sand paper, by hand, making sure you don't round off the faces, then use Holts Firegum on the sealing surfaces, and warm up the car slowly, let it idle for 5 mins, then leave for 30 mins to harden, then treat carefully for the first 30 mins. After that you should be able to have them glowing red hot without blowing. While you have the manifolds off, check that the exhaust brackets support the exhausts and downpipes with no weight on the downpipe flange. Also check that the downpipes are running close to the floor, too much gap is caused by failing engine mounts, which can crack the manifolds when the downpipes catch on the road, or when the engine moves too much. If you want to spend some money, my advice is new engine mounts, not new gaskets.
Thank you for the advice John, much appreciated,
Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
Morris Highwayman 1962
WIL

Post by WIL »

WIL wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:22 am
johnw wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:05 am

thanks,

Wil
Thank you for the advice John, much appreciated,
Wil
I would welcome some advice on battery charging.
Is it OK to put the Jensen on a trickle charger with terminals attached, and is there any recommended procedure for disconnecting/reconnecting the battery other thank the 'usual' procedure?
thanks,
Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
Morris Highwayman 1962
Grant

Post by Grant »

WIL wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 pm I would welcome some advice on battery charging.
Is it OK to put the Jensen on a trickle charger with terminals attached, and is there any recommended procedure for disconnecting/reconnecting the battery other thank the 'usual' procedure?
thanks,
Wil
Image to Ok to trickle with terminals connected & Image to normal procedure WilImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “Members' Cars”