DIY Zinc electroplating at home - my first attempt

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Martin R

Re: DIY Zinc electroplating at home - my first attempt

Post by Martin R »

That looks brilliant "Walter" !!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
johnw

Post by johnw »

On the ebay advert Rostyle Wheel refurbisher describes the primer and clear coat as powder based, only the chrome layer is spray on. Rejen showed me one up close a few years back that looked that impressive too like this one Nigel. I have seen unscrupulous people advertising that service on Facebook using a real chrome Rostyle, and also the painted chrome wheel but before the clear protective layer is applied. If you take any polished surface and clear coat it, some sparkle goes.

A big plus of painting is you don't have such a worry of checking for stress cracks. A compromise is to spray the Rostyle with graphite, then plate on the graphite paint. Would be interesting to try this at home.

Phil your plating expert really has taken things to the next level in the scope and quality of supplies. 20 years well spent in the shed. His chrome like plating solution uses a special electrolyte to stop it looking like nickel, effectively a hard nickel alloy, perhaps some chrome in the electrolyte but he doesn't give away what. He also lists brush plating kits but has none listed in stock. These have been used in industry for decades to touch up electro plating with real metal based electro plate, typically zinc plate after welding repairs etc. The seller was even selling his nickel alloy/chrome like plating system for brush application, although his brush kits seem to have been withdrawn now. One interesting system is his conductive paint systems, one of which is graphite based. So the plastic object or old Rostyle with plastic filler in the pitted bits, whatever, then is painted before a metallic chrome like nickel is electrolytically plated over the top!

I have been experimenting with brazing using modern flux coated rods and a small lighter fuel powered torch from Aldi or Lidl. It is so easy, cheap and quick these days. Also zinc plates straight onto new copper plate with only a rinse. https://youtu.be/WhyLeH7Y06o This is interesting how the youtuber electroforms a copper ring, then rinses off copper sulphate electrolyte and puts it straight into the zinc. The Zinc on copper can then easily be wire brushed up to a fine surface finish as the copper base moves like flattening out clay during the polishing (presumably this is why chrome looks so good over copper).
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
A few more examples from my Volvo 131. Hopefully I'll find something on the Interceptor to do once the Volvo is finished.
Phil
IMG_6021.JPG
IMG_6021.JPG (51.38 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
IMG_6028.JPG
IMG_6028.JPG (50.14 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
Grant

Post by Grant »

Fishyboy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:35 pm Hi all,
A few more examples from my Volvo 131. Hopefully I'll find something on the Interceptor to do once the Volvo is finished.
Phil
Image Brilliant Phil..so CoolImage..You're PhilCoolImage, I love what your doing My Ole FruitImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Mr Goldfinger! That gold passivate is so even! No signs of where the wires went. Very impressive Phil!
Just want to know now, what finish all the fasteners on a Mk1 had... This is so good isn't it!
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I'm sure I could find quite a few bits for you to do once you've finished your Volvo :D
Looks fantastic!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Thanks Grant, John and Martin,
My only worry now is that the Volvo might just fall apart now I've removed most of the bolts holding it together.
Hopefully, I might get to take a few things off the Jensen next week and "bling-up" the engine bay.
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all
Finished off with the dip stick on the Volvo. Interceptor next week.Of course I only did the outside of the engine part.
Photos show "Before", "After" and "detail" of the tide-line between plated and not.
Phil
IMG_6032.JPG
IMG_6032.JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
IMG_6033.JPG
IMG_6033.JPG (31.68 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
IMG_6034.JPG
IMG_6034.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

It will be interesting to see this in a few months time. Does polishing it, like you would chrome, keep it shiny or will it become grey over time?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
johnw

Post by johnw »

VFK44 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:29 pm It will be interesting to see this in a few months time. Does polishing it, like you would chrome, keep it shiny or will it become grey over time?
If you want to polish it you are going to have to use their nickel plating kits. Zink is quite soft, and doesn't stand up to a polish. it will shine nicely, but it is then short lived before the dreaded rust returns. A good dose of Nickel, once you have a good strike, nothing like it. Over time it gets yellow/green, but a good polish and it looks more like chrome again, and even better than before. You can overdo the plating, and give it a crazy thick coat you will never polish off. Only the looney fringe will do that, then you find your spanners are a bit too tight, etc.
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
Started on a few Interceptor parts. Not much to do as the PO has most item professional plated.
The wiper motor mounting bracket and and coil mounting bracket. The before shows the wiper mounting bracket which was a little pitted. As its not on view I dint try to remove the pitting.

I might attempt to plate the bonnet locks, although I am a bit concerned that I might end up making more work for myself in that I don't want to really mess around with the bonnet alignment.

Phil
Before - Wiper Motor Bracket.JPG
Before - Wiper Motor Bracket.JPG (123.93 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
After - Wiper Motor and Coil Brackets.JPG
After - Wiper Motor and Coil Brackets.JPG (84.52 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
johnw

Post by johnw »

Amazing Phil. Copper plating is easier than zinc, so you could try using copper as filler material, it files well and we all have a few copper pipes to use as electrodes should the need arise. All I would say is copper only provides cosmetic surface finish repair to things, think damaged bolt heads here, copper is too soft to repair to functional standards. The gold passivated parts look perfect as well. All we need to know is, did Jensen ever use the gold finish, if so when, or is it all supposed to be silver?

Return to “General Discussion”