DIY Zinc electroplating at home - my first attempt

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Fishyboy

DIY Zinc electroplating at home - my first attempt

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
Having temporarily been beaten by my attempts at leather restoration (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28581) I have now turned my attention to metal restoration, by undertaking some DIY zinc electroplating.

I am using a Zinc plating kit supplied by Gateros Plating, based in the UK (https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/zinc-plating-kit-5L). The kit has actually sat on my shelf in the garage for the last 3 years and I finally decided lockdown was the ideal time to have a go. Dan at Gateros is a great font of knowledge, always willing to help and also written a easy to follow book on electroplating (https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/access ... ating-book).

All of these chemicals must be handled properly to avoid any accidents, especially with the acids. You’ll need the appropriate PPE (Gloves, mask, face shield or goggles) and will end up looking the Walter White in his Crystal Meth lab (Photo 1).

With most of the original zinc plated parts on my Jensen having been re-plated by the previous owner (forum user Ja51son W) I have turned to my attention 1966 Volvo Amazon for some suitable parts and have started with the battery bracket (Photo 2). Most of the original zinc plating had disappeared (the original 25 micron zinc plating is preferentially sacrificed instead of the steel at about a micron a year) and there was local pitting and some rust (I had previously cleaned the components on a wire wheel last year).

My plating set up has an alkaline cleaning bath (to degrease the pieces), an acid dip (to remove any remaining old zinc plating, rust and general muck), electrolysis tank (to do the plating) and a passivation bath (apply the final chromate protective layer). As I was a bit eager and had not set up the cleaning bath or acid dip I substituted these two by a methylated spirit bath to degrease and a HCL acid dip to remove old plating, rust and also act as a pre-plate etch.

As with most things preparation is the key. Poor preparation will lead to a poor plate. Compared to the commercial platters we can probably spend more time on the prep and at least match the professionals products.

For this run I took the bracket parts, which has some surface rust and pitting (Photo 1) and put them into the HCL acid dip. For this I used neat Bostik Mortar and Brick Cleaner which is approximately 20% HCL and available over the counter at places like ToolStation. I left the pierces in the acid dip to chemically clean for 30mins, the washed in water to remove any acid residue. I then gave the pieces a good buffing on a wire wheel to polish up the metal. Next I calculated the surface area of the items and calculated the current required for plating (at a rate of 0.1 Amp/Sq Inch). The parts were then scrubbed with meths (spirit not “crystal”), washed in water, dipped in the HCL solution for one minute to etch the surface, allowing for a better plate, and washed again. The items then went into my electrolyte tank (hung off copper pipe on copper wire – Photo 3) and platted for 40mins. The electrolyte was heated to 25C using a fish tank heater, agitated using a fish tank pump and the current was produced and regulated by a cheap variable power supply off eBay. After another water-wash the pieces were dipped for 40secsonds into the clear chromate passivate (Photo 4) to enhance corrosion resistance. I chose the clear finish over the more modern yellow finish. Once more the parts were given a final water-wash and then hung to dry for 48hrs. Finally, the parts were put back on the Amazon.

I have to say the parts came out pretty good for the first attempt (Photos 5,6,7,8). While it may not make economic sense in the short term, I think the feeling of satisfaction from doing your own work and with the results being at least on a par with commercial platters, all make it worthwhile. The whole process is within easy reach of most owners

Phil
DIY Electroplating 1.jpg
DIY Electroplating 1.jpg (9.21 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 2.JPG
DIY Electroplating 2.JPG (39.94 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 3.JPG
DIY Electroplating 3.JPG (43.75 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 4.JPG
DIY Electroplating 4.JPG (34.6 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 5.JPG
DIY Electroplating 5.JPG (44.32 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 6.JPG
DIY Electroplating 6.JPG (47.48 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 7.JPG
DIY Electroplating 7.JPG (26.61 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
DIY Electroplating 8.JPG
DIY Electroplating 8.JPG (32.73 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
Grant

Re: DIY Zinc electroplating at home - my first attempt

Post by Grant »

Bloody Brilliant PhilImage.. Why have you not tried the chroming Phil?..Is it more complicated or what's your thoughts please Phil?Image ..Actually, look I have a set of 4 8" wide X 15" diameter RostylesImage..I'll be down in the morning, I want a full English breakfast and you to chrome these wheels for me, then I can set off homeImage..Many thanks Phil..See you tomorrow sportImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi Grant,
Sausage, bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms and tomatoes OK?
We will have to eat the breakfast before we start the chroming as the chemicals involved will likely kill us both.

Gateros do a "replica" chrome kit (https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/index. ... uct_id=223) which is actually "chromate-free". i think is actually nickle plating. This guy has got some OK results (https://www.instructables.com/Chrome-Pl ... and-Parts/).

I might look into this once I've finish the zinc plating.

Rather oddly when putting together the original post I typed "open bracket" Photos 5 to 8 "close bracket" and got this (Photo 5 to 8). Have you hacked my Mac?

Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

There are some spray techniques that produce results that are almost indistinguishable from real chrome.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi Chris
Any details?
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1968 Volvo 1800S
Grant

Post by Grant »

Nice One Phil and many thanks of for your helpImage, I wasn't aware of the dangers of the gasses from the chrome plating!!Image..I have looked into the spray chroming before, it seems very good, but I am not sure how robust it is, I'm sure it has come on more now but I was advised not to use it on wheels a few years ago, it does look quite amazing, have a look here Phil>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsrPGKlaWtU
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

I’m happy with the end result on my Rostyles. I have a 7” spray chromed Rostyle rim going spare if you want it Grant...
7259CEAB-588D-484D-B5F7-D8CA35D2C3F7.jpeg
7259CEAB-588D-484D-B5F7-D8CA35D2C3F7.jpeg (110.45 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
Nigel Kieser
Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
Interceptor 115/3484
Grant

Post by Grant »

NigelK wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:02 am I’m happy with the end result on my Rostyles. I have a 7” spray chromed Rostyle rim going spare if you want it Grant...
HiYa NigeImage..That looks really nice my ole fruit.how did you make it 7" Nigel?..Did you have it banded? to 7" wide, obviously not trying to tell you how to suck eggs as they say, but does it measure 7" from "inside" the rim edge where the tyre sits from one side to another? there always seem that discrepancy because the standard 6J Rostyles measure 7" from the outside of the rim to rim.
Nige is that wheel of yours finished in a powder coat?..I know the powder coat Chrome/Alu is a different finish to the stuff that I posted the You tube link of. I think from memory someone (maybe yourself) posted a link once to a chap Ebay that refinishes Rostyles with what I believe is a powder coat system here >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-P5B-15 ... SwX9NetJnT Is this the finish on your wheels Nigel?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
DPP

Post by DPP »

NigelK wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:02 am I’m happy with the end result on my Rostyles. I have a 7” spray chromed Rostyle rim going spare if you want it Grant...

7259CEAB-588D-484D-B5F7-D8CA35D2C3F7.jpeg
That looks great Nigel, I would like to see it stood up in the sun.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
johnw

Post by johnw »

When I was 17 I nickel plated the kickstart and a few other bits on my Ducati in my bedroom. I literally spent days prepping, the steel after prep was as shiny as the final chrome like finish I wanted before it went in. Literally it must shine. The result was like a slightly yellow chrome, good to this day. There is no substitute for DIY, the satisfaction, being able to get what you want. I didn't have a media blaster at the time, and I am wondering how zink will look on DIY media blasted hardware. I have also done copper plating as well, which is really easiest of all plating to do. I have been itching to try zink plating for ages.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Keith

Post by Keith »

Grant wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:35 am I wasn't aware of the dangers of the gasses from the chrome plating!!
It's not the gases from the chrome plating he was worrying about, it was the gasses from you, after eating the sausage, bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms and tomatoes.

Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Keith wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:15 pm
Grant wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:35 am I wasn't aware of the dangers of the gasses from the chrome plating!!
It's not the gases from the chrome plating he was worrying about, it was the gasses from you, after eating the sausage, bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Image..Brilliant Keith.. That had meImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Grant wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:44 am
HiYa NigeImage..That looks really nice my ole fruit.how did you make it 7" Nigel?..Did you have it banded? to 7" wide, obviously not trying to tell you how to suck eggs as they say, but does it measure 7" from "inside" the rim edge where the tyre sits from one side to another? there always seem that discrepancy because the standard 6J Rostyles measure 7" from the outside of the rim to rim.
Nige is that wheel of yours finished in a powder coat?..I know the powder coat Chrome/Alu is a different finish to the stuff that I posted the You tube link of. I think from memory someone (maybe yourself) posted a link once to a chap Ebay that refinishes Rostyles with what I believe is a powder coat system here >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-P5B-15 ... SwX9NetJnT Is this the finish on your wheels Nigel?
My mistake Grant, it’s a 6J. I enjoyed sucking that egg! Yes it was me who posted before and yes it’s the same guy from eBay. His advert says the wheels are sprayed not powder coated. All the best, Nigel
Nigel Kieser
Interceptor 115/3484
Grant

Post by Grant »

NigelK wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:22 pm My mistake Grant, it’s a 6J. I enjoyed sucking that egg! Yes it was me who posted before and yes it’s the same guy from eBay. His advert says the wheels are sprayed not powder coated. All the best, Nigel
No probs NigeManImage..Is that the chap that done your wheels then Nigel?..They really look lovelyImage, how comes you have an extra one then Nigel?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Yes it was him. The 6J was the spare on 115/3484, but it was too wide to allow the spare wheel carrier down. So I had it restored for sale and bought another restored 5J from the restorer. Best, Nigel
Nigel Kieser
Interceptor 115/3484

Return to “General Discussion”