E10 Petrol to be introduced in the UK from 1st September 2021

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

E10 Petrol to be introduced in the UK from 1st September 2021

Post by Chris_R »

The topic of E10 petrol in classic cars has been discussed extensively in this forum so I won't repeat any of that detail here however members may be interested to read this press release from the FBHVC https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/fb ... cle-owners
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
colin7673
now normal...

Re: E10 Petrol to be introduced in the UK from 1st September 2021

Post by colin7673 »

Ran our car on E10 when in the US don't really notice much difference.. maybe because 2000 miles might not have long enough
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

From all that I have read Colin, I think it's not use of E10 that is the problem, it is non-use. The E10 fuel that you used in the US will have gone through the system so quickly that the ethanol remained blended with the petrol and didn't separate out. It's when you leave the car standing for a longish period of time as so often happens with classic cars that the problems begin with the ethanol separating out of the petrol, attracting moisture and allowing the acidic nature of the product to attack certain components in the fuel system.
As I keep reminding everyone, ethanol in petrol in the UK is nothing new. From the end of pool petrol in 1953 until about 1971 Cleveland Discol which was an ethanol blend of petrol was widely available across the UK and many millions of motorists would have regularly used it, some will have used it and nothing else. Ethanol concentrations in that fuel was between 25% and 28% depending on season. The motoring world didn't collapse, we didn't have cars bursting into flames all over the place with rotted out fuel systems.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

I have been following the conversation regarding the use of E10 fuel in classic cars.
I spent 15 years living in RSA returning to the UK in 1991.
During this time, due to sanctions, the RSA government used methanol from sugar cane and the SASOL plants.
This was added to petrol purchased from non sanction levying countries up to 25 > 30% to increase fuel stocks.
Like the UK, the RSA had a lively classic car following and these cars had to use the fuel available.
From memory, the biggest problems experienced were from the fuel dissolving plastic components in the fuel system leading to some leakage but mainly blockages.
As there was no alternative to the available fuel we used it and I ran a 3.8 Mk2 Jag, a 1957 TR3, a Triumph Spitfire and a Birkin 7 (license built to Caterham) with a Ford 1600 GT Kent engine, all with no issues at all, in fact I never even considered the fuel.
Also being a hot country the cars got more use than my current Jensen and TVR.
I think that so long as people are aware of the potential issues then just use the E10 and carry on as normal.
We did not seem to worry about the lower leadtetraethyl level either, I did not use the additives I use today nor did I fit hardened valve seats, non of this was even thought about as far as I remember.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Methanol is more acidic than ethanol.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
johnw

Post by johnw »

Thanks Chris for the link. So it should still be possible to buy ethanol free fuel for the foreseeable future in the UK, this will be labeled E5, 5% max ethanol content, but some brands will be supplying 0% ethanol content under the E5 rules, so we just need to know which stations they are. They will likely be a few pence more, but if you start you project once a year, well worth it.

Garden centres in Switzerland sell Eco fuel, which is somehow more eco friendly petrol, apparently super stable, so you can leave it in your mower for years. I like to think I am Too Posh to Push, I like all my "future projects", to be movable under their own power, be it an FF with almost no chassis tubes left, (ideally) no silencers, and collapsing front panel, or a moped. We have this, which is about £12 a gallon https://aspenfuel.co.uk/find-out-more/

£12 well spent if you have heard an FF with straight through pipes, must be done once in your life!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

if you drive the car regularly, it's fine. It's been used in the US for decades.
73 basket case interceptor
OzJensen
Location: Sydney Australia - after a great few years in the UK!

Post by OzJensen »

Been used in Australia since 2003 - never had a problem with any of my classic cars.
Tony Cope
JCCA President, JOC Australian Rep
Sydney

CV-8 Mk3 112/2382 ex UK 1973 to USA now Oz
Interceptor Mk 2 123/3957 ex UK 1974 now Oz

M: +61 448 400 160
E: tonywcope@gmail.com
E: president@jcca.org.au
E: australia@joc.org.uk

Return to “General Discussion”