Princess Grey

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
felixkk

Re: Princess Grey

Post by felixkk »

Hi Helen

Thank you, will get in touch with him. Would someone PM me his mail?

I removed some of the silver paint using tape to uncover a reasoble size patch.
CC3A2EA3-1EA2-4A5A-9DD3-086641B9895E.jpeg
CC3A2EA3-1EA2-4A5A-9DD3-086641B9895E.jpeg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
431ECBEA-4D2F-4265-A75E-4AF5BB09BA99.jpeg
431ECBEA-4D2F-4265-A75E-4AF5BB09BA99.jpeg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Alistair unfortunately doesn't have the formula for the paint he used, and the paint shop doesn't exist anymore. Classic Mike from Holland sent me the formula they used for the Princess Grey (the roof of the blue C-V8). I'm hoping he sent me the correct formula, because on the photo it looks quite a bit different than mine.
image Kopie.jpg
image Kopie.jpg (254.73 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Mike confirmed the colour, looks more like my colour on this photo. Next step is to go to the paint shop with the C-V8, once the sample has arrived from Germany. We will then sell official Jensen Princess Grey for €500 for a small can and I can finally retire and start with golf.
FA7D2022-2F4B-4AB7-9BA6-C84ACC2D3BEB.jpeg
FA7D2022-2F4B-4AB7-9BA6-C84ACC2D3BEB.jpeg (135.11 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
F4104907-3F2C-4787-A0A4-8AFCF0338292.jpeg
F4104907-3F2C-4787-A0A4-8AFCF0338292.jpeg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Anton001

Post by Anton001 »

Felix,

I suggest you contact Ton van Rijn. He is now painting a C-V8 in Princess grey. I assume he is able to support you with the correct colorcode
37357FFF-1CBA-4FEC-B47A-B956C80A19F3.jpeg
37357FFF-1CBA-4FEC-B47A-B956C80A19F3.jpeg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Jensen Healey Mk1 1123 / 11016
Jensen C-V8 MK3 112 / 2419
Jensen 541S / S1079

www.jensenholland.nl
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Thank you, Anton, I'll do that. We'll be taking our C-V8 to the paint shop next week to have them either scan or match the still remaining Princess Grey paint by eye. It'll be useful to have various contemporary formulas to choose from, but I don't think that we'll ever get a definite modern equivalent of the original colour.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

johnw

Post by johnw »

felixkk wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:36 pm Thank you, Anton, I'll do that. We'll be taking our C-V8 to the paint shop next week to have them either scan or match the still remaining Princess Grey paint by eye. It'll be useful to have various contemporary formulas to choose from, but I don't think that we'll ever get a definite modern equivalent of the original colour.
Why are you doing that? Are you thinking of painting the whole car, or for future reference?

What has happened on my project car, appears to be the original Crystal Blue paint and clear coat, were sprayed over without much sanding. The clear coat is giving way and a few 3" by 5" areas of the original paint are now visible. I am wondering about cleaning then clear coating as many areas of the car like that as I can, then rocking up to the paint shop and ask them to match in the rest! However, I suspect there may have been pigment damage or lightening of the colour over the years. I am wondering though, is this a totally pointless/bonkers idea? Will it become a trend with cars sold with "restored original paintwork" in future?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

No plans to paint our C-V8- we were asked by a member who is restoring his C-V8 and is not sure about the swatch he has which is supposedly Princess Grey. Somehow there is no modern formula available even though it was the most common colour for the C-V8. I like the silver (a VW colour) of our C-V8 very much, so I'm not sure that I'd go back to the original paint on our car. The paint as it is has sunken and the fibres are visible, it is cracking at places, scratched, damaged by rocks, and has various other chips and blemishes. I accidentally removed a large section of clear coat when I removed a rallye number, but I'm fine with all of that. I don't want the car looking like new, and for me there really isn't a reason to repaint it.

Crystal Blue: I don't know if you can apply modern paints on an existing base. When our car was repainted in 1972 they still had the original type of paints. It would be worthwile though to match your colour if you think it is the original paint, and a modern formula isn't available.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Felix - I think you have to wait starting your pension with golfing meanwhile selling princess grey...

Nowadays colours are water based, which never existed in the 70's-80's (together with my partner I'm running beside my garage a body/paint shop).
So if you only paint part of the body you always have to adapt the colour individually, because like us getting more and more grey hairs, the same happens to the colours used in the 70's and also depends if the car was always standing in the sun in California (like my Jensen) or in nice Switzerland where it's not such hot and having always a garage...

Remember a Ferrari F40 owner we had recently in our garage very upset, telling us another painter has used original Ferrari red (which he doubted and this one costs €500 per litre) and there was a big difference between the new painted hood and the rest of the car.

So our employee (medewerker in nederlands) with experience of around thirty years mixed a corresponding colour, got it in the heating chamber for painting (the temperature there is also essential), then afterwards (24 hours later) comparing it with the Ferrari, then optimizing the colour for the next layer, and so on up to I assume 4-5 layers. Afterwards let it harden for minimum 3-5 days and then you have to polish the whole car - if it fits then the customer is happy

It's not the simple colour code - it's the art of work...

Have a nice day
Wolfgang
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

95550E94-2406-418C-9A75-37BC0277E91D.jpeg
95550E94-2406-418C-9A75-37BC0277E91D.jpeg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
1680E924-3A4C-4BEA-9CF8-C88A65765C1C.jpeg
1680E924-3A4C-4BEA-9CF8-C88A65765C1C.jpeg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
before and after...
we decided for british racing green 4 layers afterwards finished by a special varnish and then polished 2 times..
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

376FD05E-C388-4EDE-AEB5-59A93A14BB65.jpeg
376FD05E-C388-4EDE-AEB5-59A93A14BB65.jpeg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
and that's the result...
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Remember a Ferrari F40 owner we had recently in our garage very upset, telling us another painter has used original Ferrari red (which he doubted and this one costs €500 per litre) and there was a big difference between the new painted hood and the rest of the car.

So our employee (medewerker in nederlands) with experience of around thirty years mixed a corresponding colour, got it in the heating chamber for painting (the temperature there is also essential), then afterwards (24 hours later) comparing it with the Ferrari, then optimizing the colour for the next layer, and so on up to I assume 4-5 layers. Afterwards let it harden for minimum 3-5 days and then you have to polish the whole car - if it fits then the customer is happy

It's not the simple colour code - it's the art of work...
Wolfgang, what you are saying is that the colour darkens over time, is that correct? The Princess Grey remnants on my car have been overpainted since 1972, so the paint wasn't exposed extensively to sunlight- but who knows, the paint may have darkenend even without the sunlight. I'll also see if there is paint in the engine bay that we can expose. But you are right, it is difficult to match the colour as it is, but then also take into account how the colour has aged.

2nd question, almost a philisophical one. If one repaints a car today, should the colour be exactly as it left the factory (if that is even possible)- or should the car be repainted to match the colour as it has darkened over the past 50 or 60 years? :?

Ton van Rijn called this morning after I wrote him a mail- super nice guy and very helpful. They went to great lengths to get the Princess Grey colour correct, and apparently had some original paint to match it to. They did several tests to match the paint as closely as they could. They based it on the Mazda Carmen Silver No. 24V9298, but added some tonality to the paint. What he said is that it makes a difference from which distance you spray the car, and whether you use base (?). Thank you Ton, thanks Anton!
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

johnw

Post by johnw »

Sorry Felix, I didn't mean to sound rude. Your car looked great at the V8 meeting.

Some of the areas you mention where the form of the fibres are showing, could also be where the gel coat has continued to cure and shrink over the years. I am sure it was perfectly smooth before Jensen painted the car. We have a similar effect on one of our (non Jensen) cars where the fibres are visible. It is something you can't fake, and a badge of authenticity for older or period paint. I like to look for that on the many Ferrari F40s in Switzerland and see which ones are still on their original, or very old paint.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

most of the F40s are no longer in original paint, owners are deciding indivdually if they want to keep some 'patina' or have it in perfect 'Ferrari red' which also changed because it's now also water based and having another pigmentation.

Nowadays we're having a quite different and better quality of gel coat, also primer from quite clear (varnish like brilliant) up to minimum 10 shades of brilliant white up to grey and most extreme green, this all giving much different effects to the finishing colour. Nowadays we're able to create nearly every colour looking like original, there is equipment available to measure the pigmentation, density, brilliance, reflection from cars standing in museums like Sinsheim, Schlumpf in Alsace and also in Zurich and then copy it to the owners car with modern paint and technique.

Painting is always artwork and has to fit to the customers ideas..
the rest has to be done on the level of state of the art technologies - that's my opinion

At the moment im in discussion for a De Tomaso Pantera -in very bad condition- I intend to get him ready (he will never get plates), then to get him sprayed by Banksy and afterwards in an auction - benefit for charity...

But to be honest, most guys are looking first for the colour - I'm looking first for the engine...

Have fun and be happy about your cars
Wolfgang
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

johnw wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm Sorry Felix, I didn't mean to sound rude. Your car looked great at the V8 meeting.
Thank you John. It's called patina, and it's priceless :D The two insurance agents who came to value the car were also enchanted by the the "patina". Andi on the other hand, who takes the C-V8 to have it MOTed has to use all his charm to get the car through with the Swiss authorities, who I am told are less than impressed.
At the moment im in discussion for a De Tomaso Pantera -in very bad condition- I intend to get him ready (he will never get plates), then to get him sprayed by Banksy and afterwards in an auction - benefit for charity...
ok, I'm impressed. Just make sure that there is no shredder involved :D
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

hope it works with the Pantera, a friend of mine addressed me what to do with this barn find, so this idea was born but it seems to be very complicate to get in contact with Banksy - even for him who is well connected in the artist scene. If it takes too long time this rusty bunch of screws will fall in small rusty parts from itself - so ther is no shredder needed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be

Return to “General Discussion”