Forum traffic decline - or my bad maths

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
rmangroo

Re: Forum traffic decline - or my bad maths

Post by rmangroo »

dsimonds wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm Hello -I am a new member and although hopefully not an anorak I do have some interest and considerable experience in the interpretation of statistics. These are peculiar times effecting so much of what we do in an unprecedented and unpredictable way. Because of this I suggest the meaningful comparison we should be making is not between forum traffic this year v. last year, but how our usage trends compare with other similar clubs over this peculiar period. As a starter I saw a recent post on my classic boat forum entitled 'Death Of The Forum' in which the writer bemoans the radical decline in traffic, reducing a usually busy platform to a quiet place with few contributions even from the usual stalwarts. The forum for my other classic car club also has noticeably less traffic. So the question is:- are we performing badly v. last year or well v. other clubs - or anywhere in between?

Derek S
A very good question. Karan spend a lot of time on both BMW and JOC forum mainly browsing and searching for questions already answered but can't say if he's seen any decline or increase in either. I've seen the decline in some social media pages I follow and from what I can gather If you're not selling something there is not a lot being posted.

Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

The ones in Grant's signature I copied to the JOC site, so they are now on an https site with a valid certificate.

Grant was going to let me have the others he used so I could also copy those to the JOC site.

I get lots of pop ups from Bitdefender complaining about the smilies being on http from an https site which makes the forum almost unusable.
johnw wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 pm All the ones in your signature work perfectly Grant in Firefox and Chrome on a Mac!

The one I quoted in the post above, even the quoted version works in Firefox on Mac, but not in Chrome on Mac. The ones that start with https: in preview are the ones that give trouble. Removing the "s" after http doesn't fix it, but it does change the appearance slightly.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
kees

Post by kees »

You have to view the figures over a longer period e.g. one year to make up your conclusions.
OK, not everybody gets it on a silver platter and it may be a bit more involved for some to get on to the forum, but in the end, after a few tries, you will get there. Not really a reason for moaning about and for not using the forum.
After some time these niggles will be sorted. That is always the way when things change. Lets face it, I do not like these changes either but if nothing would have changed there would not have been any progress in the world, let alone this forum.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

As many of you know I'm a regular, and my posts have declined, purely as there is nothing new going on, due to lockdown. I have been steadily pootling about in the garage, doing bits on all 4 of my cars, but nothing really drastic to report, and certainly no events have been attended.
The new forum is a little different, I don't see Grant's emogies anymore just a square sating image in it,(I don't know if this could be looked at), but now got used to any changes. It has reminded me that we changed our radio system at work a number of years ago, from analogue to a digital system. Although the handsets looked the same the whole back end was different and operated differently but was a vast improvement. The issue we had was that a few things on the way it operated was different, and people complained that it was worse than the old system, but after a number of months people got used to it. If we had not had an old radio system and started from scratch, everybody would have said how wonderful the new system is , having not had a comparison. Just a fact of life, people are uncomfortable with change.

Hopefully the light has been switched on at the end of the tunnel and we will start to get out in our cars and have things to report, like breakdowns and component failures, :shock: that none of us are actually experiencing at the moment.
Still a good Forum, and club, and well done all who have put their effort in keeping it so.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
shaun

Post by shaun »

Thanks Kev,

Need a hair cut? I do!
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Shaun, my hair is longer than it has ever been, didn't have it cut last year, and is probably as long as Alan Jones' at the moment. Having to tie it up when doing any work as it just gets in the way :D
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
shaun

Post by shaun »

Brilliant!!!!

See, owning a Jensen promotes hair growth!!

Not sure where though!!!
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Kevin Birch wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm I don't see Grant's emogies anymore just a square sating image in it,(I don't know if this could be looked at)
They should magically reappear in the morning
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Grant

Post by Grant »

zacmarshall wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:59 pm
Kevin Birch wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm I don't see Grant's emogies anymore just a square sating image in it,(I don't know if this could be looked at)
They should magically reappear in the morning
BrilliantImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

I have now amended Grant's posts which had the non secure Emojis and replaced the links with secure versions, so they should now appear and the annoying pop ups for people using Bitdefender should stop.
JOC Member No. 5061
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Well done Zac. Your perseverance is an inspiration.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Well done Zac, I can now see them if I move my hair from in front of my eyes :D
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Ironically, this topic is quite an active one :D
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

I have been following this in the background because the stats counter on the mk1 site stopped with the change over. All sorted now as I realised I had to change the address on the stat counter app I use to the new hppts web address. But back to the traffic comment I thought that the numbers on this website had increased since the change - only because I look at the 'users on line' at the bottom of each page and often there are about 10 times the visitors as there are 'signed up members'.

edit as I submit this "Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carefree, Google [Bot], RAP72 and 21 guests"
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Thanks Zac for bringing back Grant's emojis.

Doesn't matter what else happens now, I feel that God's in his heaven and all's right with the world.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “General Discussion”