Forum traffic decline - or my bad maths

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Mark1Stu

Re: Forum traffic decline - or my bad maths

Post by Mark1Stu »

Zac,

You mention stats package but only quote visitors to the forum. Personally, I wouldn't look to the number of forum visitors as the best (or only) key indicator - especially when (I assume) many visits are generated as a result of simply clicking on a picture/subject on social media. Nonetheless, establishing the link with social media is a good thing for sure.

Are you able (if you have the time) to enlighten us on what other stats JOC officials can chew over? If you're too busy, no worries. For me, I'd be keen to know how many new threads were established per month (compare and contrast with previous periods), how many existing JOC members contributed to those threads (which hopefully could be broken down if desired - e.g.male/female split, technical, model), how many new JOC members (I.e within the first year) posted on the forum, and perhaps how many new visitors (of which there are thousands) had subsequently registered to use the forum.
Last edited by Mark1Stu on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Thanks Zac
Data makes interesting viewing. Is the peak in April and May as a result of us getting our cars out on the road with the steady decline as we you use our car less frequently towards the end of the year.
Phil
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 12.27.41.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 12.27.41.png (96.8 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
dsimonds

Post by dsimonds »

Hello -I am a new member and although hopefully not an anorak I do have some interest and considerable experience in the interpretation of statistics. These are peculiar times effecting so much of what we do in an unprecedented and unpredictable way. Because of this I suggest the meaningful comparison we should be making is not between forum traffic this year v. last year, but how our usage trends compare with other similar clubs over this peculiar period. As a starter I saw a recent post on my classic boat forum entitled 'Death Of The Forum' in which the writer bemoans the radical decline in traffic, reducing a usually busy platform to a quiet place with few contributions even from the usual stalwarts. The forum for my other classic car club also has noticeably less traffic. So the question is:- are we performing badly v. last year or well v. other clubs - or anywhere in between?

Derek S
Derek Simonds
541S
Suffolk
Grant

Post by Grant »

dsimonds wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm Hello -I am a new member and although hopefully not an anorak
I saw a recent post on my classic boat forum entitled 'Death Of The Forum' Derek S
Hi Derek :P ..If your not an Anorak..You're not coming in!! :lol:
Derek..What Classic Boat forum was it please?..Was it the CMBA?(Classic Motor Boat Association)..I have a group of friends from the CMBA..Well I like to call them my friends..not sure if they call me their friend though :cry: .......... :D :lol: ...Welcome Derek..come in and pull up a floor board :P , I'm just about to get up and lay-down myself :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Welcome Derek! A welcome boost to the forum traffic, as well as great insight!

Gran't your smilies are smiling brightly once more. I was not getting them properly before. probably due to HTTPS issues. Also, on the subject of smilies, when did Cannonball get a new phone? Bet we lost a lot of traffic after that :D :D :D :D .
Grant wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:50 pm
dsimonds wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm Hello -I am a new member and although hopefully not an anorak
I saw a recent post on my classic boat forum entitled 'Death Of The Forum' Derek S
Hi Derek :P ..If your not an Anorak..You're not coming in!! :lol:
Derek..What Classic Boat forum was it please?..Was it the CMBA?(Classic Motor Boat Association)..I have a group of friends from the CMBA..Well I like to call them my friends..not sure if they call me their friend though :cry: .......... :D :lol: ...Welcome Derek..come in and pull up a floor board :P , I'm just about to get up and lay-down myself :)
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
todd

Post by todd »

I feel the decreased traffic is directly related to the number of posts in the joke thread. British humor is not what it used to be,,,,, entertaining to the colonials :D
shaun

Post by shaun »

This may of course be that, like the rest of the world, we are all pretty worn out with the pandemic and just trying to stay safe and alive is far more important than posting on the JOC forum. My own personal opinion,
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Grant

Post by Grant »

shaun wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 am to stay safe and alive is far more important than posting on the JOC forum. ,
ImageBut, I think we should all post at least once post a day to keep the Forum Safe & Alive ShaunyManImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

todd wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:38 am I feel the decreased traffic is directly related to the number of posts in the joke thread. British humor is not what it used to be,,,,, entertaining to the colonials :D
Well here's a Joke for you Todd as I couldn't find the Joke Thread :D >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHx8y1rFjdk ..It's my favourite Joke :lol:..Please report back and tell me if you liked it..well, that applies to anyone includong you Todd actuallyImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Keith

Post by Keith »

shaun wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 am This may of course be that, like the rest of the world, we are all pretty worn out with the pandemic and just trying to stay safe and alive is far more important than posting on the JOC forum. My own personal opinion,
What a mealy-mouthed, negative post!

You should be supporting and encouraging the forum. And that's my personal opinion!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
shaun

Post by shaun »

Keith, I wont even respond to your post other than to say you must have been somewhere else not on this planet for the last year.

It has been HARD for a great many of us. Please consider that.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Keith

Post by Keith »

shaun wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:36 pm It has been HARD for a great many of us. Please consider that.
And some have had it harder than others, consider that.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
johnw

Post by johnw »

When I look at what is supposed to be the nodding smiley from Grant, I get a square block signifying a broken link image and not the smiley. The website that hosts your smiley Grant has an https error of some sort! Is it just me or do others see problems? Most stock text emojis work: :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :P :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :!: :?: :idea: all seem OK. Except for (=O*_*)=O Q(*_*Q) , the boxing emoji :shock:
Grant wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:09 pm actuallyImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:09 pm When I look at what is supposed to be the nodding smiley from Grant, I get a square block signifying a broken link image and not the smiley. The website that hosts your smiley Grant has an https error of some sort! Is it just me or do others see problems? Most stock text emojis work: :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :P :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :!: :?: :idea: all seem OK. Except for (=O*_*)=O Q(*_*Q) , the boxing emoji :shock:
Grant wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:09 pm actuallyImage
I can see them working fine using Firefox John, but on Micro/Edge it shows a broken link for all my 3rd party Smileys, but at the moment I can get the Forum working in a private window of Firefox and they all are working, can you see them in my signature Ok and working John?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

All the ones in your signature work perfectly Grant in Firefox and Chrome on a Mac!

The one I quoted in the post above, even the quoted version works in Firefox on Mac, but not in Chrome on Mac. The ones that start with https: in preview are the ones that give trouble. Removing the "s" after http doesn't fix it, but it does change the appearance slightly.

Return to “General Discussion”