The Forum as it is

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

The Forum as it is

Post by Grant »

I personally find the new Forum now unsettled, unreliable, hit and miss, we know the issues as they have been spoken about again and again with the big black top bar growing and growing until it's down over the Board Index buttons which then makes you have to log out and log back in or any other work around that we keep having to find..so, my question to all the users is this >>>
>>
Who would rather have it back as it was(working just perfectly) or leave it as it is in it's current form?..Maybe we can make a list below..I suppose I could have set up a Vote Pole, but..I wasn't sure how to do that :oops: ..So lets make a list below with your choice please Peeps.
I have done this because all the regular users I have spoken too are struggling with it and I don't think it looks good on the JOC really :?
Please add your name and choice belowImage..I'll start >>>
====
Grant... Back to how it used to be.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Re: The Forum as it is

Post by Steve Payne »

Grant I am with you on this. I find the new forum hard to use and a shadow of its old form.

I understand something had to be done as the old format was no longer supported but in car analogy terms we have gone from a Rolls to an Allegro.

I know several people who no longer go on the forum because of its new problems and difficult access.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
schumijoe
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS

Post by schumijoe »

I agree with the comments. The forum as it is is a shadow of its former self. I find it difficult moving about, having it move about when changing items plus other problems on logging in. the old system was good, why change something that worked well. I'm afraid that it happens too much on other things that used to work well and new people seem to know better or just want to change things anyway
joe
INTERCEPTOR 111 2240/1**4(the last 1976 saloon)
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Hi,

No, let us not start a chain reaction for no reason. Shaun, the Chairman gave everyone an opportunity to provide him with feedback on the issues that you have with the forum. if you have not done it by the date he requested, I will extend that date until next Friday 12th Feb.

The forum as you all know is for discussion of our cars not a place to complain about the use of the service we provide our users. I kindly remind you to either e-mail IT ( it@joc.org.uk ), the chairman
( chairman@joc.or.uk ) or the General Secretary ( gs@joc.org.uk ) of your concerns and not use the forum for complaining about the club. It does not give the right feel for our new joining members.

I hear all your complaints and contacted a few directly to give you my feedback and explain it will be fixed where it can be fixed.

The forum issues you are experiencing is from the upgrade of the phpBB and part of it fitting in with the website. We did nothing different to the forum other than implemented a bridging link for the approval of members. As I have mentioned before the site has had a lot more interaction with new and returning members since the upgrade. If there are members out their that are not using it for the reasons you have stated Steve, then please ask them to reach out to me.

Please let's use the site for car and friendly banter rather than a rant about the site.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Regards Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi RAj..I wasn't using it to complain..I was merely asking the people that have managed to log on and use the forum if they prefer this set-up or the last set -up. The people I know that now cannot log-on cannot view or discuss cars on here because the simple 1st part of that exercise is to log on, but they are struggling with that bit for a start :cry: , they don't understand even what a browser is and when I tried to explain it they had no clue what I meant, so I'm not complaining I was asking who would rather have it how it was previously. If they do manage to log on the page will fill with the black box and then they can't navigate around, if they try it will jump to the bottom of the page, so they cannot discuss cars or even read about them :cry: KIS (Keep it simple) which is something it is not and I cannot point people over here to something they cannot get onto easily.
Complaining to Shaun on a email isn't something we should need to do Raj..as you say we only want to read and discuss Jensens on here not get involved with complaining that hasn't really changed anything you see :wink: ..Thank you for listening Raj :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Raj

We just need a Forum that is easy to use for non computer experts.

Posting, adding links and finding stuff should be easy, sadly it now is only easy if you are an expert in IT and I and many others my age and older are not.

Steve
Keith

Post by Keith »

rmangroo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 am and not use the forum for complaining about the club.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about the club?

Just the forum.

And they've been offering this constructive criticism for weeks now, and nothing has been done about it.

Instead of denying the problems,

Fix them.

rmangroo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 am The forum as you all know is for discussion of our cars not a place to complain about the use of the service we provide our users
And forum members have every right to comment on how the forum works [or doesn't work], as this is an open forum. Always has been.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Keith,

No one is denying anything, and just because you can't see what is happening in the background does not mean we are not trying to fix it!

No one volunteers to get beaten up so why beat up the ones who are working tirelessly to keep things in motion.

My communication to anyone here or in an e-mail is always polite frank and to the point, if I find a person is rude to me I will either kill them with kindness or ignore them. I take offence to your rude response.

I am not one for banter on social media so, just message me if you have issue with me or how I operate or better still send your complaint to the GS or Chairman who will address me approraiately.

Regards Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
Grant

Post by Grant »

Raj, I don't think Keith or anyone is being rude or complaining here, Keith picked up on you saying that we were complaining about the club which no-one was complaining about the club and any problems following previous suggestions should be fixed and appears that still they haven'tImage.
He also said it is an open forum for discussion in reply to you saying that we shouldn't say what's been said on this thread, so I am not sure why you are saying he was being rude?..But, moving forward it was and is only a thread to ask do people prefer the old version or this version.. it shouldn't really be anymore or any less than thatImage.. To be honest in the most politest way Raj..it does appear that you seem to be not wanting it discussed here and I am unsure why? You did say previously that you wanted to go forward and not backwards..but many of us and others too (who have not commented on here) do feel we have not gone forward..only backwards Raj, I was wondering is it just me..but it's not is it Raj :cry:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Keith

Post by Keith »

rmangroo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm No one volunteers to get beaten up so why beat up the ones who are working tirelessly to keep things in motion.
No one is getting "beaten up" here! We are simply offering "constructive criticism" and asking some (perfectly reasonable) questions!
rmangroo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm I take offence to your rude response.
Seriously? In what possible way could my comments be construed as "rude"?
rmangroo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm better still send your complaint to the GS or Chairman .
What complaint?

You are going to have to lighten up, Raj, and I'm saying that in a friendly manner (so as not to appear "rude").
Why are you taking this so personally, when all the comments offered here by members are pointed toward the team running the forum? And remember, all these comments are offered in good faith as constructive critisism, as we would all like a correctly-functioning forum, just like it used to be!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Hi Grant,

Well clearly I have misunderstood and got it wrong, so my apologies to Keith and you all for my own rant..

As I said however, we are working on things and there is only two of us doing this. JOC has become a full time job (not that I am complaining as I really do enjoy it and it keeps me occupied) but when you see the same post each time you can imagine how frustrating it is when I know how hard we are all working on fixing things that creep up.

Regards Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Raj

Do you have any idea when the issues will be resolved?

I feel if we could see at least see some of the issues that affect how we use the forum fixed it would make it easier to use.

My biggest two problems are when you open a reply to a thread it would be nice to go to that reply and not to to top of a page with a large blob of black. No other forums I am on have this.

Secondly when you reply it bounces you too the bottom of the page.

Being able to post links easier would be nice but I am sure that will come with time.

Thanks Steve
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Hi Steve, I'm working on this with Raj at the moment. I'll get back to you when we work out what can be done. I've seen the images you sent to Raj and what I think appears to be happening is that the "Welcome...." text is not fitting into your physical screen display width and is wrapping onto a second line. The same with the next line of text so the space taken by these lines of text doubles. Technically, it is not the size of the border that is the problem, it is the way the text is being displayed in that border that is causing that problem. What device are you using for this?
On my laptop the physical screen is wide enough and so the black border is not an issue as shown here:
Forum.jpg
Forum.jpg (228.31 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Hi Chris

The device I use mainly is an Android Sony mobile or a 17 in laptop. It is better on the laptop but I still get 25%of the screen with the black. It would not be a problem if the link took you to the reply rather than the top of the page.

Thanks for your efforts on this.

Steve
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Once again I've decided to delete my post
Last edited by felixkk on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch

Return to “General Discussion”