New FF Owner

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
david wright

Re: New FF Owner

Post by david wright »

Hi Eddie,
Yes, will do. I've passed over the organising of the Hampton Court display to David Devine, and i'm sure we'll make sure!!

David
C-V8 Mk III 112/2328
MGA 1600 Mk II
Vast Collection of Models of British sports cars.
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Yes it would be great to get an FF to Hampton court as I don't think we have had one there yet.

Dave
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

I might be getting old but I am fairly sure we were there on the 7th September 2019?
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

My mistake John, sorry I am getting old.

Dave
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

And Steve Groves was also there in his Vignale built Mk1 FF 006, albeit arriving a bit late.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
MattB

Post by MattB »

I've been meaning to post an update on the carb rebuild for a while. I'm pleased to say the carb's back on the car now and it's transformed the way it runs - given the state we found the carb in, it's not really a surprise!

Here are a few photos of before, during and after the rebuild:

Stripped down:
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG (121.05 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Long over due a clean!
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG (122.42 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Housings post vapour blasting:
ABRL2299.JPEG
ABRL2299.JPEG (95.28 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
This is the shaft bore repair kit I sourced from the US - two reamers and enough bushes to do several carbs:
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG (98.63 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
The uneven gap around the reamer shaft shows just how worn the shaft bores were:
IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG (91.29 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Bushes pressed in:
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG (74.79 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
My wife's jewellery cleaner came in handy for cleaning all the small parts prior to assembly (she wasn't impressed with the state I returned it in :( )
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG (79.71 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
All back together:
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1131.JPG (106.08 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG (91.73 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
I used stainless steel screws for the throttle butterflies - it took a little while to work out the thread sizes (not being familiar with imperial threads..), they're UNC 6-32 and UNC 4-40 for anyone else doing this. I had to turn the screw heads down a little to sit in the shaft counterbores. The fiddliest bit of the rebuild was the various settings - I think there were 14 in all: clearances, rod lengths etc etc., nothing too complicated - just need to be worked through systematically.

Since refitting the carb the only adjustment I've had to make is setting the idle speed. The car previously pumped out clouds of fuel smoke due to the jammed float valve, the acceleration was also very dull as the accel pump seal had split. It's now running cleanly and accelerates far more sharply - which is very satisfying :D I'm hoping we'll see an improvement on the ~8mpg it was doing pre-rebuild too.

Having finished the carb rebuild I thought I'd better check the ignition timing - in doing this I discovered the vacuum advance isn't working.... it seems the vac unit itself is fine, but something is jammed in the distributor itself. So looks like a distributor rebuild is next on the to do list!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Wicked Stuff, brilliant workmanship and attention to detail MattImage
What a satisfying thing to do isn't it, and with a final brilliant result how can anyone get anymore thrill out of anything elseImage. Everyone should have a hobby that involves doing things like this, some people think watching the TV (something I never do unless I am on holiday) is a HobbyImage..They'll never understand the thrillImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “General Discussion”