Issue with Firefox

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
rmangroo

Re: Issue with Firefox

Post by rmangroo »

Thanks Felix and Stephen

Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

For the sake of having the https://joc.org.uk header and footer we have the forum as a I-frame loaded within.
To solve all the issues with Firefox and other browsers couldn't you give us the actual forum URL so we can load it directly and we then won't have problems. If we want the actual JOC.org.uk site we can just go there. It would also stop the annoying jump to the foot of any forum page when navigating about the site.
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

stix
Location: Chichester, West London, Scottish Highlands, Outer Hebrides.

Post by stix »

Same issue since Xmas on Macbook Pro with Firefox and Safari - both latest versions: however, this evening, both started working again. I do have to to refresh the page every time when using Firefox, otherwise the page wont load - had this issue since August.
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

I use the link below which works first thing in the morning and then is spasmodic rest of the day. ???
https://joc.org.uk/joc-forum/
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Jensen 541 PWX 164 chassis no. 22/5206
541 alloy bodied prototype.
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
kees

Post by kees »

I find the issue is getting worse. Usually the first time I open the forum it starts up correctly right away but afterwards I often have to renew over 10 times. However once in it works fine also when changing subject within the forum.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

I also had problems accessing the forum in the past few days via Firefox/laptop, and had to use Safari.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Grant

Post by Grant »

Me tooImage, but with all due respects, it's only been 2 years now this problem, I doubt it will ever change as it hasn't in that timeImage, maybe we should just accept that it doesn't work as it should & probably never will and make it part of life fighting to load the forum, the website company have had their money from the JOC now and spent it, so I can't see them helping out anymoreImage,

Therefore, the bottom line is... we're all scupperdImage...
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Grant wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 am Therefore, the bottom line is... we're all scupperdImage...
Doomed, doomed, we're all doomed.
https://youtu.be/V7NlFWh7Sz8

They must be charging us for data because it reloads many times more than necessary and takes ages to load, especially on mobile devices.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Grant

Post by Grant »

JHV8 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:04 pm For the sake of having the https://joc.org.uk header and footer we have the forum as a I-frame loaded within.
To solve all the issues with Firefox and other browsers couldn't you give us the actual forum URL so we can load it directly and we then won't have problems. If we want the actual JOC.org.uk site we can just go there. It would also stop the annoying jump to the foot of any forum page when navigating about the site.
ImagePoor Ole Rob here ^^^^^^^^ is still waiting for someone to pick up on his suggestion/perfect solution to the problem since July 2022Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I have read all six pages of posts on this subject and it would appear that sometimes the problem would go away and then inexplicably return. Of course, having to log on multiple times before successful is not good and it is especially so when good IT practices such as automatic clearing of cache memory and cookies, etc is adopted. I appreciate that sometime people could well want to keep items in their cache memory. There were good reasons (management, cost, etc) for linking the forum and the website and to have it on a secure platform . From memory, I think there was a team responsible for scoping what was implemented. I am not sure if it a localised issue rather than symptomatic for whatever reason with just the members (less than 8?) who are posting or if indeed there is a flaw with our system and the use of Firefox. I will dialogue with Zac, Raj and the IT (Website) maintainer over the coming week and hopefully i will be in a position to provide a fully post / brief.

It is worth noting, that our website and forum is considered significant in terms of volume (management, complexity and transactions) and that there is not a rush of companies expressing interests in taking on the role and from experience those that do would want at least thrice as much for doing so. I don’t believe that the scale of what is covered by our system ( on multiple platforms that is subject to external upgrades) is fully appreciated. This is the reason why Zac, Raj and others are so involved. What we have can no longer be supported by a single JOC person and it drove the change a few years ago along with we were fast approaching a point of not having a system at all.

I am also mindful that we have circa 1400 members contributing for a system that is almost entirely available in content / usage to circa 4000 registered users.

Please, I ask that you bear with us (me, Raj, Zac and Claire) at this time as there is a fair bit that we are dealing with currently and posts with false assumptions are not really helpful.

Regards,
Karan
Grant

Post by Grant »

Let me know who's made false assumptions Karan & I shall deal with them in the usual fashion for you Mr ManImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

I'll make some assumptions.

Assumption 1:
I assume the frame costs the club real money in hosting charges. Every time someone sees that header with the Night Rider style scanner loading a page, you wait 1.5 seconds, it costs the club 7MB of data bandwidth (my assumption after dumping one load and measuring it). If I am replying to a thread like this, I typically see that loading bar 3 times. I think we are paying 2 to 3 times as much for the bandwith because of false frame reloads as we need to be. Each reload also has the frame cost, even if it is only loaded once. Without the frame cost, and avoiding reloads, it could be a mega saving. It is very annoying waiting the 2 seconds for the frame to load. Would a 300% saving on forum bandwidth usage be a negligible cost relative to the cost of everything else in the package? Like management, admin etc? That may well be the case that it is negligible. In this case the inefficiency of loading is only an annoyance. It would be interesting to know the big number, how much data is transferred by the forum server a year/month/week etc. If we are on some "unlimited" data plan then I guess data usage efficiency is not so important.

Assumption 2:
Everyone is annoyed by the frame reload delay, only those that have browser problems are bothered to complain. Generally speaking I fall into that not bothered to complain category. I happen to know that you don't have to put up with that, other users will just assume it is "the internet", their data package, that is the way life is, etc.

Assumption 3:
Everyone knows from the browser page heading that this is the JOC forum, hosted by the JOC, without having half their phone screen taken up by the black header "Jensen Owners Club" all the time.

Assumption 4: Not just me but others get a "bad" feeling, a feeling that someone is paying for something useless and annoying, repeatedly, each time I see a page loading. I might be completely wrong.

I have had a look at the code for the page and it is very complex and I am not underestimating or contradicting what Karan says about what a thankless task it may seem to be and how many people it needs to run it, etc. It is not an endless and thankless task to make the forum work on an ever changing software stack that expands to include every kind of reading device invented by man. It may be endless, but it is not thankless. We do appreciate it.
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

Would it not be a prudent exercise to find out what website providers the other British car clubs are using ?

Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Jensen 541 PWX 164 chassis no. 22/5206
541 alloy bodied prototype.
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I did ask for people to bear with us. If such a simple request is just ignored then really what is the point of trying to fix things. We always seem to end up having a contest of posts. I will now shift focus and reply to posts - recommendation , assumptions, new questions but at the end of my day job.

Karan
johnw

Post by johnw »

KaranMK2 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:43 pm I did ask for people to bear with us. If such a simple request is just ignored then really what is the point of trying to fix things. We always seem to end up having a contest of posts. I will now shift focus and reply to posts - recommendation , assumptions, new questions but at the end of my day job.

Karan
I would suggest to have a beer instead. In fact I am going to get one after this. To be crystal, from my side, my request is simply a "while you are at it" type of thing. Points to think about while doing whatever you planned. I simply want to avoid a "Why didn't johnw say/ask that at the beginning" situation. None of this needs answering at all/ever for me. I certainly don't need/expect any kind of answer this evening. This is still is one of the best British Car forums there is for me. I have 3 browsers on my Mac laptop, plus plus multiple virtual machines, 2 phones. No problem with me.

Return to “General Discussion”