Running out of electricity in your EV

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Running out of electricity in your EV

Post by Steve Payne »

Is this the future? A diesel van towing a generator so you can can carry on with your journey?
charging an EV.jpg
charging an EV.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Grant

Re: Running out of electricity in your EV

Post by Grant »

Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

How has that happened in what appears to be a busy city??
I can only guess that the driver forgot their cable cos electricity in a city tends to be readily available...
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Steve Payne wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:08 pm Is this the future? A diesel van towing a generator so you can can carry on with your journey?
charging an EV.jpg

Steve
No. It will soon be an electric van.

Besides, there must be other ways of providing the electricity in a booster pack which can be dropped off and will not block traffic.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
007aircon

Post by 007aircon »

Having been involved in a recent EV project ( batteries require keeping below a set temperature so use the A/C system to act as a master & slave chiller system) these EV on the road at the moment are just a stepping block,
These are low voltage machines that are just nothing more than prototype vehicles, the next gen now being tested that probably wont be seen for 5 years at least on the road are 850V set ups, with regen technology and the ones i suspect that will be on sale in 8 years 11 months and 23 days will actually likely to have a on board petrol / hydrogen gas turbine generator, which will charge the batteries up on the move, under high demand ( towing, off road, mountain area's), remember that driver less option technology will be well advanced by then, so its highly likely that in 20 / 30 /40 mph limits the car will drop into E-power mode at exactly the correct speed at designated points, using sonar and vehicle to vehicle ( V2V) communication using NFC ( like chip & pin on iphones and card readers ) so each vehicle knows where each other is going and at what speed and in driven cars relay driver inputs outbound to surrounding vehicles, effectively avoiding accidents, congestion and eventually doing away with traffic lights, i cant go into what i have seen over the last few years ( official secrets act) but the technology is there, and improving every 24 hours, on a electronics basis , there is world wide collaboration and competition in this field, similar to the work in finding the covid vaccine, the opportunities are endless for the kids at school, that will be the buyers of tomorrow, even down to syncing with your web browser and social media accounts, for example you take a trip and the on board head up display will offer to pull into a Costa or a greggs based upon your preferences and interests, down even to click and collect with putting your car in a bay in Tesco and a drone(s) finding you and dropping your shopping at the boot, its not beyond the realms of possibility to have a fully opened hatch back allowing the drone to pack the car while you remain seated.... yes its possible, hilarious TBH.

Remember, the law in the UK states that petrol or diesel powered cars will be banned from sale 1/1/2030, it does not say a vehicle can not have a petrol or diesel generator on board! so although Steve your post is a bit of fun, the future is almost that but in a very condensed format, catalytic generators...... no recharge required, generation override on M-way open road, urban E-power, the car weather driven or driver less will request you to put the destination in to the on board control, you wont be able to just go to the shop or the sea side, it will need to know to manage your power, from the destination, it will know what energy reserve ( 100% Electric as you will have a charging mat in your drive, parking spot etc) from there it will know your fuel cell level (one assumes a hydrogen cylinder that will be like a soda stream cartridge you load and unload bought from the service station, a small say 5 gallon tank of carbon fuel hydrogen is mixed with the hydrogen fuel to an extreme heat in a turbo like engine giving zero emission of carbon soots etc, just water vapour, that turns the generator to power the battery cell / override the battery cell) then you go, as said on route the infotainment system will sync with your phone and PC even the TV if you are driver less you can go to work and watch mastermind you recorded on sky Q if you live in the oxford area or coronation street if your are north of stratford upon avon :lol:
you will be given a choice of food and beverage outlets on route, place your order via the app, that will have your card details stored, that order will be relayed to the roadside starbucks for example and your gps location monitored real time the car will drive at the speed of the drive through que so you arrive at exactly the same time as your order is in the window, the vehicle will stop on the mark your window will automatically lower and you retrieve your order and confirm onscreen to proceed... it is coming Luddites its coming.. :lol:

So what of classic cars, well it wont matter too much to most i don't suppose in 20 years time, i suspect by the time we get to this stage it will be 20 years away , then i assume, each non driver less car will have by law to be fitted with a transponder that will communicate with other systems on the road so they know that you are there but status unknown so will treat you like a man with a dry cough at the checkout in sainsburys,
basically you will give off a constant set of co-ordinates and velocity the others can decide amongst themselves what to do with you so effectively your speed will be controlled in traffic by the moving speed of the herd, as i suspect by then a jensen wont be allowed in built up areas for a start, as i see city's will be driver less only and then no rules of the road so vehicles heading two a breast on the same carriageway whilst on coming is held at a point or rerouted.

use on the road will be only to the rich, as fuel pumps get replaced, one will buy petrol like heating oil, but in an approved underground tank with approved and annually inspected pump, licensed by the local authority, so if you can afford a £500,000 db5 you can afford the fuel dump installation, if you are like me and cant afford that , then enjoy your V8 for the next 20 years or until you are priced off the road, or by then convert it to a likely Tesla aftermarket kit, in reality that's whats being done at the moment by many, although not licensed , which is a worry of mine, men with no training and no back up using parts from a crashed Tesla and grafting them into a classic, this will be ok i suspect until something shorts and the owner gets 415V DC through them or a accident and a good Samaritan / emergency worker grabs the tin work and dies on the spot, because he/ she didn't know that the e-type was a home brew Tesla, then i suspect the insurance companies will walk away and the ministry will legislate, either that or Elon will just switch the lot off until someone pays up for using his patented technology... no such thing as a free lunch, but shows how people with money aint too bright to ask the question...

One thing i am pleased about is the next gen EV needs batteries cooled, so even more work for a/c engineers as this will be a " design to fail" pipe system without doubt... :lol:
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

i see city's will be driver less only
Interesting article published by the University of Leeds, "SELF-DRIVING CARS, WILL THEY REDUCE ENERGY USE?":

"During travelling, people generally prefer the privacy and convenience of car, but also appreciate the driving-free experience of public transport, especially since this time not driving can now be used in a productive manner due to the progress in information and communication technologies. Self-driving cars can combine these benefits by allowing hands-free, productive use of time in cars, making them relatively more attractive to the public transport modes. In transport modelling terminology, the value of time ‘wasted’ during driving/travelling is one of the major determinants of the choice of different transport modes and this value of time could be lowered substantially in a driverless car. This could substantially disrupt the perceived costs of travel could encourage a more car-centric life pattern, while people decide to live further from work. Research showed that car current modal share enjoyed by rail (and buses) in the UK in favour to personal self-driving car. The lower travel and concomitant energy use and carbon emissions, could increase by 5% from mid-level automation to up to 60% for a high penetration of self-driving cars in the USA"

http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/fileadmin/do ... ngCars.pdf

The main reasons why people are interested in this technology: they are bored on their commute to work!? They'd prefer to look at a screen than listen to the radio or use the time to make phone calls. I doubt that many of those people will want 100% driverless vehicles when they are not commuting, many people enjoy driving cars. Why companies are interested in this technology is another matter altogether... interesting stuff though.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-10 um 15.04.15.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-10 um 15.04.15.png (55.77 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch

Return to “General Discussion”