Rogue gods, Etypes and rotten fate

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Rogue gods, Etypes and rotten fate

Post by kenny38 »

There is a local classic car club in my general area. The members are generally well North of middle age. We had a meeting in a local park as due to covid our normal meeting place is banned. The usual agenda with new and intending members welcomed.
There was a small man sitting in the chair in front of me. He turned and introduced himself. He was ,i noted, well dressed and about 50+. Not really liking people very much I didn't encourage him but when the meeting broke up he formally introduced himself as (Bob). He suggested that we have a coffee "over the road". Now I wasn't that keen but something fragile about him made me agree.
We sat inside as it looked like rain. I asked him what classic he owned and he amitted he was looking for one at a reasonable entry price after losing (selling) the EType'
His demeanor turned a little dark so I probed about the EType. "oh, she went in the division of assets after seperation". That's a pity I thought. "what happened"?
Well he told me he and his ex wife had been married 18 years and were seemingly happy enough and they were quite comfortable.
One sunday he was driving the EType on a highway and got pulled over for driving over the speed limit. On being asked for his licence he realised he didn't have it with him
and there was a further fine and loss of points.
A week or so later he was driving another of his cars in a restricted area and was pulled over by the very same copper for speeding. The officer spoke sharply to him but "let him off this time and keep your foot off ...etc"
Well you would think he would learn but another week or so later he got pulled over again for speeding by the very same cop. This time he got the points and further fine.
He told his wife and she was very angry at his stupidity. They decided to go on a cruise around the islands. The day came anup the gangplank they went excited at a new adventure.
That night after settling in to their upmarket cabin they decided to dine at the ship's best resturant. They could even spy the captain 's table if they stood up.
Turning to the table next to them was a couple and amazingly it was the traffic cop and his wife on an anniversary cruise. Well after the intial jokes about stalking both couples enjoyed each other's company for the reast of the cruise. Finally all went their own ways.
"So what happened to the EType? I playfully asked. He came home one evening and found a letter that stated his wife had fallen in love with the cop and both had decided that this was their one chance to be 'in real passionate love". She moved out of course and she and the traffic cop went to another town to live. He had precious little to contribute to the arrangement. They bought some franchise with her settlement.
'Bob" abrruptly got up said good bye and left . I followed a little later. In the car park it was dark and raining. I pondered on that man's destiny and the rogue God who played with his life. I did remark that if he had owned a Jensen he would probably still have it. He didn't seem to get the irony. He didn't join the club and hasn't been seen since. I rather liked his R.M. Williams shoes Obviously not part of the settlement. Kenny38 :shock:
bigaadams

Re: Rogue gods, Etypes and rotten fate

Post by bigaadams »

I would say that with a wife that easy to jump ship he got the 'last laugh' on the arresting officer....my only question is who will she be eyeing next? With the award of the e-type to the ex, my guess it is the judge in the proceedings...
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

A sobering little story.

Will you be adopting "Not really liking people very much" as your signature?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Clearly the moral of the story is to avoid cruise ships
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Felix, you made me laugh out loud with that one!

But I heartily agree!

No good can come from them!

(Seriously IMHO). Cruises are a manufactured experience. Just like going to Disneyland, or many of these other vacation options. They plan out everything for you. Why don’t people just jump in the car and go drive somewhere different?
Last edited by RockyUSA on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

I'm absolutely on the same boat with you on that :D
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Felix - you are on a roll!

You’re riding the wave, and you left me in your wake!
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

You're right, I should get out more... November is taking its toll on me
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

As a postscript to my post. This chap turned up at a committee meeting to which he was NOT invited. Couldn't say "go away". He stayed for the special after meal. (I stuffed sausage rolls in to my pockets for my dogs when I thought no one was looking) He basically ignored me all night but told mine host about the sausage rolls and she was not pleased. He was reminded about doing the paper work on joining but still hasn't done so. Should I have a an East End "word" next time? Kenny38 8)
DPP

Post by DPP »

Good man Kenny got to look after the dogs 😁
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430

Return to “General Discussion”