Restomod C-V8 on Retropower

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Jorrocks

Re: Restomod C-V8 on Retropower

Post by Jorrocks »

https://youtu.be/PTQDIWANCNs

Latest bit about the CV8. I know most of you hate it but seriously, this boy’s an effing genius, and he can’t be more than ten years old😁!
1972 Interceptor MkIII (128/4886)
johnw

Post by johnw »

Jorrocks wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:04 pm https://youtu.be/PTQDIWANCNs

Latest bit about the CV8. I know most of you hate it but seriously, this boy’s an effing genius, and he can’t be more than ten years old😁!
Must be the school holidays. One of the best of their videos I have seen so far though nevertheless!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
johnw

Post by johnw »

The body has now been sent off to make moulds for the new shell.
https://youtu.be/_aMnaCfG7yc?t=2742
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

perhaps it's just me but I understand that the lad is doing this as perhaps a hobby but seriously the whole body has nearly been replaced. Won't mention interiour and engine. At the end of the day unless "lad' want's to keep then you could/may as well, find a pro kept A1 car with all work done by some poor sod in a freezing garage. This project looks like granddad's axe. But well done!! kenny38
johnw

Post by johnw »

kenny38 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:22 am perhaps it's just me but I understand that the lad is doing this as perhaps a hobby but seriously the whole body has nearly been replaced. Won't mention interiour and engine. At the end of the day unless "lad' want's to keep then you could/may as well, find a pro kept A1 car with all work done by some poor sod in a freezing garage. This project looks like granddad's axe. But well done!! kenny38
Kenny you are talking serious $$$$ for this professionally "upgraded" "Jensen". £200 to £500k I would have thought. That BMW M3 package they were working on for a 3rd party retails at 330k, plus the M3.The Jensen looks more involved and is bespoke. There may well be a clause in their contracts not to disclose prices paid for projects. Add in the 2 CV8s this seems to have swallowed up, I really loved the gorgeous interior of the one that horse of the year competitors entrance pass still in it. The quality of the leather, and the craftsmanship were unmatchable today. What a car that was. A Ron Clay chassis for that may or may not have been overkill to repair that. I never saw the car only these pics, but they bought a Ron Clay chassis as the basis for this build as I understand it.

I think we have had different front & rear suspensions, different engine and transmission, new chassis, new body, custom seating trial with the sponsor/owner, there was something about making new custom glass. Steering column, brakes, instruments will be changed. What about the doors and door handles, we will need to wait and see.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Granfather's axe!! This resto is wildly overestimating any sensible valuation of a renovated now resurrected CV8. A lovely car no doubt when finished but it still is an alleged historic model with no great following among very cashed up potential buyers. It will still be a very good CV8...but...no more. An exercise involving pig's ears perhaps. You can bring anything back from the knackers if you throw endless money at it. However in a very few years it will join the other "completely restored" CV8's at the same average money for quality cars. A good committed young man but I feel his talents can be better used elsewhere on more worthwhile projects. Not Lazerus endeavours. John, you are a good man with a passion. Something which is lacking in many of us. Or now dimmed. Regrettably. Kenny38
DPP

Post by DPP »

Although Im not a fan of restomods i do like to watch these videos as the quality of the work is amazing, Im just glad Im not paying for it.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

The last recorded owner is coming to dinner at Brooklands so I will try and find out more about the car, ilke whether he sold it or if it is he who is is carrying out this restomod.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
johnw

Post by johnw »

John Staddon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pm The last recorded owner is coming to dinner at Brooklands so I will try and find out more about the car, ilke whether he sold it or if it is he who is is carrying out this restomod.

John
Any update John?

https://youtu.be/WtRry7vT4uw

They are using the Jaguar IRS. However they have chosen the version with outboard brakes, don't want the hassle of running ducted cooling brakes to the inboard brakes apparently.

I completely disagree. No point going Jaguar IRS with outboard brakes in my view. The Jensen rear suspension works fantastic on the FF, the totally sublime front double wishbone and AWD does help out the rear, with the theoretical Unsprung weight and parallel travel of the IRS being a debatable improvement. With the inboard brakes, it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, certainly the Jensen setup being simpler more reliable with similar performance in my view.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

So lets get this right, it has another chassis, from Interceptor convertible to give strength and different front suspension, different engine, Jag rear suspension, and carbon fibre modified body. So when the customer pays his ridiculous price for making this car, which will probably look and drive really well, no way will it legally be able to have it's original number plate and will have to have a Q number plate, as the only thing that may have any originality may be the interior.
I would hope the DVLA are aware of this and once a vehicle has a Q plate it can not be changed.
I hope all the original parts go back into the system to help other CV-8s keep going, and not just scrapped.
I don't mind resto mods, but this is now a one off kit car that looks like a CV-8, which should be on a Q plate and because of that will reduce it's value enormously.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Grant

Post by Grant »

Kevin Birch wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:43 pm So lets get this right, it has another chassis, from Interceptor convertible to give strength and different front suspension, different engine, Jag rear suspension, and carbon fibre modified body. So when the customer pays his ridiculous price for making this car, which will probably look and drive really well, no way will it legally be able to have it's original number plate and will have to have a Q number plate, as the only thing that may have any originality may be the interior.
I would hope the DVLA are aware of this and once a vehicle has a Q plate it can not be changed.
I hope all the original parts go back into the system to help other CV-8s keep going, and not just scrapped.
I don't mind resto mods, but this is now a one off kit car that looks like a CV-8, which should be on a Q plate and because of that will reduce it's value enormously.
That's so true KevImage, I did try and watch it last night & got as far as the Allegro, I had to turn it off at that stage as I struggle to listen to that blowks voice for much longer..Why he walks around with that Cup a Coffee everytime for 45 mins not sipping any of it beats me, his voice & the coffee cup grates on me!!..I must say they are exceptionally clever, ideas/creation and workmanship are fantastic though, I always wondered about your "Q" plate theory applying to the JIA Cars tooImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Hi All

The owner did come to Brooklands and we had a chat, he is the man I met when I inspected the car pre-restoration and he is very happy with what he is doing and doesn't care if others aren't. The car has a new C-V8 chassis from Ron Clay though it is modified to accept different suspension to the original, the body is a replica in carbon fibre, I think, created by taking moulds off the original body, the owner's ideas for a full length glass moon roof have been dropped and it now has a conventional sunroof and it will look outwardly very much like the original, though the rear end and the wheel arches have been restyled to bring it up to date and accommodate the new suspension. The drive train will be new and I don't know what plans there are for the interior. The owner agrees that it would be difficult to register the car with DVLA now, but he is not worried about that as it is already registered with DVLA. I did ask the owner if he was worried about someone acquiring the original chassis and restoring it, then acquiring the original body and all the discarded mechanical parts and putting the original car back together, in which case there would be two cars both said to be the same C-V8 from the '60s, but he didn't seem concerned about that and maybe he has made sure it can't happen.

The last Retropower video the car appears in is from 2 weeks ago, the one that has a Lancia Stratos in the title, the C-V8 appears around the 15 minute mark, just after the Retropower man takes a swig from his cup of coffee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9GJzK9UZh8

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
DPP

Post by DPP »

The Q plate discussion is very interesting as the car has now had a completely new chassis and will have a full new body as well as all the mechanical bits. I would struggle to see hardly anything left from the original car although they are using the bonnet release handle albeit with a completely modified latching mechanism.

I still like to watch this every week for the excellent engineering content, they also have no shortage of takers for there work with an order book years in advance.

Im quite interested to see what happens with the Allegro as it progresses.

Whatever you think of the modifications these 2 brothers started off messing with cars about 10 years ago and have now built up an impressive business working to the highest standards and employing many very skilled people showcasing skills that are in decline certainly in the UK.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

The owner agrees that it would be difficult to register the car with DVLA now, but he is not worried about that as it is already registered with DVLA
Different chassis, different car. I would not be comfortable driving that car around in the case I was involved in an accident. Maybe he should have a look at the situation with an attorney.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

... those people doing that godawful Frankenstein rebuild need to be aware of their responsibility in the public safety. If someone thinks he needs 600HP in a 60s car (with wire wheels?!) and someone gets injured or killed (in a car with falsified papers), then I think that they (and the owner) should be held responsible. I would not want to be involved in any part of that project. Here 10% more perfomance is permitted, above that you have to get your car individually tested and approved, which is costly.
Last edited by felixkk on Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch

Return to “General Discussion”